+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP full or part-time student status

StephanieH

Dec 23, 2021
Hello!
I am an international student in Designated Learning Institution (DLI), and I finish my program this semester (Fall 2021).
I plan to apply for PGWP in January when I get my credential completion letter and official transcript, but I have some questions about my pgwp eligibility.

So, my program was a 3-year program, and here is my academic timeline:
Spring 2019
(Full time)
Summer 2019
(Full time)
Fall 2019
(Full time)
Spring 2020
(Full time)
Summer 2020
(Part time)
Fall 2020
(Full time)
Spring 2021
(Full time)
Summer 2021
(Part time)
Fall 2021
(Part time&
LastSemester)

So, academic sessions of our school are only Fall & Spring semester, and Summer semester is considered non-academic semester that is okay to be part time.
I took part-time in Summer 2021 because our school has said that the summer semester is not an academic semester, and studying part time in summer does not impact my pgwp eligibility.
And I took part-time in my last semester (Fall 2021) because that is my last semester, and the school also has stated that studying part-time in last semester does not negatively impact pgwp eligibility as long as students have enrolled full time in all other required terms (i.e. Spring and Fall terms).

Based on the information above, do you think that I need to write a letter of explanation to explain my part time study in Summer 2021 or Fall 2021?

I want to know your opinions. Thanks!

Toyesh

Jan 8, 2023
Hello!
I am an international student in Designated Learning Institution (DLI), and I finish my program this semester (Fall 2021).
I plan to apply for PGWP in January when I get my credential completion letter and official transcript, but I have some questions about my pgwp eligibility.

Spring 2019
(Full time)
Summer 2019
(Full time)
Fall 2019
(Full time)
Spring 2020
(Full time)
Summer 2020
(Part time)
Fall 2020
(Full time)
Spring 2021
(Full time)
Summer 2021
(Part time)
Fall 2021
(Part time&
LastSemester)

So, academic sessions of our school are only Fall & Spring semester, and Summer semester is considered non-academic semester that is okay to be part time.
I took part-time in Summer 2021 because our school has said that the summer semester is not an academic semester, and studying part time in summer does not impact my pgwp eligibility.
And I took part-time in my last semester (Fall 2021) because that is my last semester, and the school also has stated that studying part-time in last semester does not negatively impact pgwp eligibility as long as students have enrolled full time in all other required terms (i.e. Spring and Fall terms).

Based on the information above, do you think that I need to write a letter of explanation to explain my part time study in Summer 2021 or Fall 2021?

Hi Stephanie,

I am in the same situation as you were. I did some part-time courses during the summer and in my last semester, I was part-time. It is very stressful for me. Did you receive your work permit?

Thanks!

Farjad

Dec 15, 2023
Hello!

Spring 2019
(Full time)
Summer 2019
(Full time)
Fall 2019
(Full time)
Spring 2020
(Full time)
Summer 2020
(Part time)
Fall 2020
(Full time)
Spring 2021
(Full time)
Summer 2021
(Part time)
Fall 2021
(Part time&
LastSemester)

Did you get your PGWP ? Your kind reply will mean the universe