+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP flagpole story at NB-Maine border

JohnSmith123

Star Member
Jun 15, 2022
Hey guys,

got the flagpole done last week and want to share something, I went to 20 St Stephen Dr.
what I got: passport, confirmation of graduation, official sealed transcript, study permit

The most headache part is the US border, they want you to enter the agency building, it was a gray building with gray interiors, everything concrete, and it feels terrible to sit in.
The US border building is a no cellphone place, but I saw a dude accidentally drop his phone, but nobody cares, so I don't know... They will ask for your name, current address, birthplace, birthday, parents' name, parents' birthday, citizenship, and fingerprints for all ten fingers, and they will take a picture of you. They also ask for the social media account, and after all the lengthy documentation, they will ask for your car key and search your car, so don't bring drugs or weird stuff... After that, they will give the passport back to you and give you the yellow notice and refuse to enter US paper.
Then you make a turn and go back to the Canadian side, everything is chill, you enter the building, a dude asks you what you want and takes a look at your documentation stuff, confirm your address, and the officer even explained the entire work permit to me, which is awesome. You pay at the end for 255 bucks.

That's it.
The Canadian side building is chill and friendly, they even have a better bathroom!

Reactions: Tayandibu

JohnSmith123

Star Member
Jun 15, 2022
Interesting. Were there other people flagpoling at that border point? Is it walkable or is a car neccessary?
nobody. I made it to the Canadian side at 2 pm, with literally nobody waiting.
yeah for this port you will need a car, but American told me that there is another one walkable
I googled it afterward, it should be 480 Milltown Blvd, Saint Stephen

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
nobody. I made it to the Canadian side at 2 pm, with literally nobody waiting.
yeah for this port you will need a car, but American told me that there is another one walkable
I googled it afterward, it should be 480 Milltown Blvd, Saint Stephen
Awesome, thanks for sharing your experience. Good to know that flagpoling for PGWP is possible in NB as well - not a lot of people have flagpoled there especially for PGWP. Although the US side was very unreasonable - they shouldn't have asked for all this info given you weren't even going into their country.

JohnSmith123

Star Member
Jun 15, 2022
Awesome, thanks for sharing your experience. Good to know that flagpoling for PGWP is possible in NB as well - not a lot of people have flagpoled there especially for PGWP. Although the US side was very unreasonable - they shouldn't have asked for all this info given you weren't even going into their country.
yeah, we told the officer that we are doing flag pole and not trying to enter the united states at all, and they also asked confusing questions, the border officer went like "well you only do the flag pole when you want to change the status .... if he (our driver, who is just a driver, not trying to get PGWP) is not trying to do so, there is no reason for him to be here, so I was asking what exactly he is doing here." I was like "what the?", I mean, we were doing the flag pole, and he is the driver, where will we go next? C the A the N the A the D the A! What, we walk back and the driver goes somewhere else? It was so funny.

ap2021

Star Member
Mar 20, 2022
G
Hey guys,

got the flagpole done last week and want to share something, I went to 20 St Stephen Dr.
what I got: passport, confirmation of graduation, official sealed transcript, study permit

The most headache part is the US border, they want you to enter the agency building, it was a gray building with gray interiors, everything concrete, and it feels terrible to sit in.
The US border building is a no cellphone place, but I saw a dude accidentally drop his phone, but nobody cares, so I don't know... They will ask for your name, current address, birthplace, birthday, parents' name, parents' birthday, citizenship, and fingerprints for all ten fingers, and they will take a picture of you. They also ask for the social media account, and after all the lengthy documentation, they will ask for your car key and search your car, so don't bring drugs or weird stuff... After that, they will give the passport back to you and give you the yellow notice and refuse to enter US paper.
Then you make a turn and go back to the Canadian side, everything is chill, you enter the building, a dude asks you what you want and takes a look at your documentation stuff, confirm your address, and the officer even explained the entire work permit to me, which is awesome. You pay at the end for 255 bucks.

That's it.
The Canadian side building is chill and friendly, they even have a better bathroom!
Hey,
Did you also have to book an appointment to go to the border. Also, could you please tell what is written on the yellow paper and the other one that comes along with it? Does it also have the details of the person.
Thanks!

JohnSmith123

Star Member
Jun 15, 2022
G

Hey,
Did you also have to book an appointment to go to the border. Also, could you please tell what is written on the yellow paper and the other one that comes along with it? Does it also have the details of the person.
Thanks!
No you don't have to.
I don't remember, just keep all the docs when you are heading back.

Sarah1980

Apr 15, 2019
Hey guys,

That's it.
Hello,

Do you remember which day of the week you went ? Wondering if they process work permits on the week end. Thanks !

Last edited:

Lamzo98

Oct 27, 2022
Did you have a valide visa and study permit when you went there? I have applied online and have been waiting for 4 month now. I wanted to go flagpoling now since it's just taking too long but my study pemit and TRV all have expired. Do you think it's still to go to the border and apply ?

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
Did you have a valide visa and study permit when you went there? I have applied online and have been waiting for 4 month now. I wanted to go flagpoling now since it's just taking too long but my study pemit and TRV all have expired. Do you think it's still to go to the border and apply ?
I would advise you not to go to the border and flagpole when your study and work permit both have expired. The current processing time for PGWP applications is around 170 days. Calculate it based on the date you applied, and you'll know how much longer it might take for you. Be patient.

Reactions: Nimanzg and Lamzo98