+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Extention due to passport expiry?

roeldsouza

Star Member
Dec 9, 2019
Hello guys,

I had a doubt wherein I studied for over 2 years ( Feb 2020 to Jan 2023 ) and moved onto a PGWP for which I was given a 2 year work permit ( April 2023 to April 2025 ) due to my passport expiry ( expiring in April 2025 )
In the remarks section of my PGWP it says as follows

Remarks/Observations:

TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS MAINTAINED AS PER R183(5). POST-GRADUATION EMPLOYMENT.
DOCUMENT ISSUED TO PASSPORT VALIDITY DATE

Does this mean that I am eligible to extend my PGWP for one more year to get my full length of the PGWP after my passport renewal?

Appreciate any advice

Thanks in advance

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Hello guys,

I had a doubt wherein I studied for over 2 years ( Feb 2020 to Jan 2023 ) and moved onto a PGWP for which I was given a 2 year work permit ( April 2023 to April 2025 ) due to my passport expiry ( expiring in April 2025 )
In the remarks section of my PGWP it says as follows

Remarks/Observations:

TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS MAINTAINED AS PER R183(5). POST-GRADUATION EMPLOYMENT.
DOCUMENT ISSUED TO PASSPORT VALIDITY DATE

Does this mean that I am eligible to extend my PGWP for one more year to get my full length of the PGWP after my passport renewal?

Appreciate any advice

Thanks in advance
Yes. I had my initial PGWP issued for one year only due to passport validity. I applied for extension after renewing my passport and I got two years more.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Is a paper application mandatory?
I applied for extension in 2021. Back then, it must be paper application. Not sure if it changed now. They may have transitioned to online application.

Good luck!

chiefpat

Jul 12, 2020
Is a paper application mandatory?
In their processing times column, a paper based application timeline section has been removed.
So, i believe you need to apply online. But you can always verify it by asking customer service over the telephone, before commencing further.

naidusuresh36

Feb 1, 2023
I applied PGWP extension due to passport expiry via paper application on Aug 31st, 2023, no updates at all.

Somehow all paper applications are extremely delayed. Please post if someone has received an update.

ployuploy

Mar 3, 2021
I applied PGWP extension due to passport expiry via paper application on Aug 31st, 2023, no updates at all.

Somehow all paper applications are extremely delayed. Please post if someone has received an update.
Same here I applied since August 25 2023. No updates.... I called ircc last week and the agent actually said that it's not suppose to be this long. They check my application status and their said my application is in "idle" ??? They contacted someone in Edmonton office but no answer yet so i will try to follow up this week. My friend who applied the same time as me already got hers 2 weeks ago. Her permit expired in Oct last year maybe that's why they pushing her application first but she's been calling ircc everyday since Jan 2024 so i guess i'll try to do the same.

Afolavid

Jan 18, 2022
Same here I applied since August 25 2023. No updates.... I called ircc last week and the agent actually said that it's not suppose to be this long. They check my application status and their said my application is in "idle" ??? They contacted someone in Edmonton office but no answer yet so i will try to follow up this week. My friend who applied the same time as me already got hers 2 weeks ago. Her permit expired in Oct last year maybe that's why they pushing her application first but she's been calling ircc everyday since Jan 2024 so i guess i'll try to do the same.
Hello, could you please confirm if one is able to continue working if a paper application is submitted (implied status), assuming the present PGWP expires after submitting the paper application for extension. In my case, I need a few months more to complete my 1year Work Experience and I'm thinking of submitting a paper application since it buys me more time before they approve it. Advice please! Thanks

naidusuresh36

Feb 1, 2023
hey did you receive any update? Its been 220+ days absolutely nothing yet.

Avyas09

Apr 16, 2024
Do we must have to apply on paper based for PGWP extension due to passport expiry ? can anybody please guide me

May 5, 2019
I am also in the same boat. IRCC received my paper application on 27th, December. IRCC customer care agent helped me to link this application to my IRCC online account. Currently, it is at the step - Background check.