+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Extension

Qwert@123

May 24, 2024
Hi all,
My pgwp is expiring in May and there are no draws yet.
If I apply for pgwp extension just to buy out time and visitor visa on the safer side of the extension get rejected then I won’t be out of status meanwhile I wait for draws to resume.

so if my visitor visa get approved before any update on extension would I still be count on implied status and continue to work or my application will automatically be rejected?

what is the safest route to continue working as of now?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all,
If I apply for pgwp extension just to buy out time and visitor visa on the safer side of the extension get rejected then I won’t be out of status meanwhile I wait for draws to resume.

so if my visitor visa get approved before any update on extension would I still be count on implied status and continue to work or my application will automatically be rejected?

What is your CRS score and NOC? So it is expiring within the week?

Qwert@123

May 24, 2024
12200 noc. I know the pgwp ext is no longer valid but just to buy out time and wait for draws to resume am doing this.
Is it ok if I file visitor visa on the side too? I can also improve my language score or get LMIA meanwhile if scores are higher.

Qwert@123

May 24, 2024
My friend has the same case and she’s working on implied status from 5 months now, her pgwp got expired 5 months back but she filed extension and no result as of now

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
Hi all,

The only issue with your plan is you won't get a proof of implied status allowing you to continue working. If your employer doesn't care, you'll be fine but if they do you won't be able to work.

IRCC says specifically the "letter" won't be issued for PGWP if you apply online so the alternative is applying on paper.

Read this.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend/after-apply.html

Visitor visa is a waste of time.

Reactions: Qwert@123

Qwert@123

May 24, 2024
The only issue with your plan is you won't get a proof of implied status allowing you to continue working. If your employer doesn't care, you'll be fine but if they do you won't be able to work.

IRCC says specifically the "letter" won't be issued for PGWP if you apply online so the alternative is applying on paper.

Read this.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend/after-apply.html

Visitor visa is a waste of time.
So what should I do now? My pgwp is expiring this weekend. Even if I take LMIA it will give me closed permit so can I just apply for extension of open permit and work on LMIA if draws come up?

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
So what should I do now? My pgwp is expiring this weekend. Even if I take LMIA it will give me closed permit so can I just apply for extension of open permit and work on LMIA if draws come up?
You can apply to buy some time but refusal is certain which might follow with a removal order. Which province are you in? Look in to provincial nomination or other programs like the AIP in Atlantic Canada.

Qwert@123

May 24, 2024
How to do that on paper? They won’t let me do it coz the policy is no longer valid right? And I have to apply as a student? Coz if I’m selecting current status as worker it’s asking for LMIA and documents which I don’t have. So I need to put as student and apply?
I’m just stressed and tensed if it has any repercussions since I’m putting so many false things.

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
How to do that on paper? They won’t let me do it coz the policy is no longer valid right? And I have to apply as a student? Coz if I’m selecting current status as worker it’s asking for LMIA and documents which I don’t have. So I need to put as student and apply?
I’m just stressed and tensed if it has any repercussions since I’m putting so many false things.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply/alternate-format.html

You are trying to game the system so obviously you'll feel stressed and have to lie. Thing is you don't qualify for a work permit extension and refusal is near guaranteed which will very likely come with a removal order.

I would start with exploring pathways to PR like PNP, AIP, etc or find an employer who will be willing to go through with a LMIA. Worst case you will have to leave Canada and come back which is better than making desperate attempts to stay. That's my opinion. All the best.