+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP extension

lcp1234

Jan 6, 2022
Hopefully they won’t exclude anybody. I do however feel worried at this point after his statement, he was very specific. They will extend for those whose PGWP expired since September 2021 who DID NOT benefit from a previous extension of these work permits. His words exactly, I just listened the recording again. Why would he say that unless they are excluding people who benefited from the previous policy? :(

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I finally found this IRCC statement which had me think that people like me won't be excluded. Pls refer to Sean Fraser's statement -

"First I’d like to share that Canada is going to extend post-graduation work permits for recent international graduates and for those whose permits already have or will expire this year, we will ensure you are eligible for an additional open work permit for 18 months. We’re working on a simplified and expeditious process. Details are going to be made available in the weeks ahead."

You can find this statement on this page - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2022/05/speaking-notes-for-the-honourable-sean-fraser-minister-of-immigration-refugees-and-citizenship-announcement-on-upcoming-changes-related-to-express.html
I remember reading this when it first came out. I personally don't read this as saying that those who got an extension once will qualify for another extension. I feel this is extremely ambiguous wording that could mean anything. It's the usual crappy IRCC wording that has us guessing what the heck they actually mean.

Sorry for your situation.

Reactions: progrey

lcp1234

Jan 6, 2022
Just realized there are multiple audios from the conference, all with different lengths shm this is the one I listened to, check 13:43

Reactions: scylla

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
I remember reading this when it first came out. I personally don't read this as saying that those who got an extension once will qualify for another extension. I feel this is extremely ambiguous wording that could mean anything. It's the usual crappy IRCC wording that has us guessing what the heck they actually mean.

Sorry for your situation.
Thanks, yes it ambiguous in that it doesn’t exclude or include but does say “all”. Anyways only the government can be stupid enough to ask highly skilled people with jobs to leave the country, even as they raise a hue and cry over labor shortage!

Edric13

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019

Here he talks about the detail will be released next week at 12:00. I'm hoping he's not lying this time. But he's only talking about people who's remained in Canada after the permit is expired. I'm currently out of country and trying to go back with ETA. Do you think I'll be able to work asap I'm arrived??

jhunix

Star Member
Jan 9, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Cebu
App. Filed.......
19-07-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Yeah it was my impression that these people (including me) will not be excluded but today at the - Federal and provincial ministers on future of immigration system meeting - please refer to the youtube link -
- at 33:54 Sean Fraser says "that the new PGWP extension will apply to those who had a PGWP AND did NOT benefit from a previous extension to their PGWP".

His tweet from April 22, 2022 said that "We will extend post-graduation work permits for recent international graduates, and those whose permits have or will expire this year will be eligible for an additional open work permit of 18 months."

How does one go back to their employers and tell them that my PGWP is expiring in a couple of months - sorry I didn't tell you earlier bc the Minister changed his tune smh!!

Hi, where can I find this tweet? I just want to make sure. I am in the same boat as the others. I have already extended my PGWP last time and I'm hoping they would let us extend it again.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, where can I find this tweet? I just want to make sure. I am in the same boat as the others. I have already extended my PGWP last time and I'm hoping they would let us extend it again.

Thank you.
The previous information (including the tweet) was vague and didn't specifically state that those who extended before qualify to extend again.

This latest information is very specific and clearly states that those who extended their PGWP under the previous policy will not qualify to do it again.

jhunix

Star Member
Jan 9, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Cebu
App. Filed.......
19-07-2017
Med's Request
Upfront

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
Anyone excluded from this public policy bc they were beneficiaries of the 2021 public policy can join this whatsapp group...https://chat.whatsapp.com/FkcrCU158Me7acGuNfbQAU

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
We are writing emails to our local MPs and some pro Immigration MPs like Jenny Kwan. The template for the email is as below. I would urge that all of us should email her. Pls customize it to your situation - tell them your STORY!

Ms. Jenny Kwan

I’m a former international student who is currently employed in a —- firm. My PGWP was extended last year under a public policy for 18 months because of which I was able to stay and secure a very good job. I was hoping that I could transition to PR through the CEC but draws for that program were stopped in September 2021, just 4-5 months after I got the extension. There were no draws for the last 10 months. Now this current public policy excludes people like me -possibly 25000-50000 international students who have lived and are current employed in Canada for the last 4-5 years. I worked through the pandemic, was hardly on CERB for —— month.

I’m grateful for all the opportunities that Canada gave us, but people like me have made substantial contributions to the Canadian economy. While my situation is not as precarious, there’s others who are struggling with mental and financial stability. We are aggrieved because this new public policy when announced in Q1 2022, never made it clear that people like me would be excluded from this new public policy. We had no time to plan for this eventuality, neither did our families, nor did our employers. Families with children will be uprooted because of this exclusion. Employers who are already facing labor shortages, will struggle to find talent at such a short notice.

My question to the Minister Sean Fraser is who BENEFITS from this mindless policy exclusion? Canada loses young talented high skilled people with years of lived experience who have the highest chance of success as future permanent residents. We lose our jobs, financial and mental peace. Our employers face more labor shortage challenges. Therefore, I’m urging you to please voice our message to the powers that be. There’s no point in continuing to look for talent from abroad and not letting the ones here continue to live and work.

Sincerely,
Your Name

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
So I just tried to watch the video and it ends at around 22 min for me. I can't get to the 33:54 mark. But it's been a long day at the office so maybe I'm doing something wrong...
Hi Scylla,
Since my OWP (2021 beneficiary) is expiring in October 2022, I have requested my employer to sponsor my WP. Can I continue to work even beyond October as long as my employer has initiated the process for getting me a LMIA/work permit? I have been with them for a little over 1 year. Per this FAQ I can apply for a WP even as my LMIA is under process -(https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=701&top=17). Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Scylla,
Since my OWP (2021 beneficiary) is expiring in October 2022, I have requested my employer to sponsor my WP. Can I continue to work even beyond October as long as my employer has initiated the process for getting me a LMIA/work permit? I have been with them for a little over 1 year. Per this FAQ I can apply for a WP even as my LMIA is under process -(https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=701&top=17). Thank you!
You can continue working under implied status if your work permit application is received by IRCC before your OWP expires.

• Love
Reactions: progrey

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
You can continue working under implied status if your work permit application is received by IRCC before your OWP expires.
That's quite encouraging. So as long as my employer files for a LMIA and soon after an employer specific work permit (both applications before the OWP expiry date), I can continue working on Implied status even as the applications for LMIA and WP are under processing. Much appreciated!

John_22

Oct 21, 2018
That's quite encouraging. So as long as my employer files for a LMIA and soon after an employer specific work permit (both applications before the OWP expiry date), I can continue working on Implied status even as the applications for LMIA and WP are under processing. Much appreciated!
Hows your application? Are you on an LMIA based work permit with your current employer?