File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was wondering if anyone knows if i can extend my pgwp expiring in january 2023.
Are you asking about the PGWP special policy? If so, unfortunately it only applies to PGWP expiring in 2022. So the answer is no (unless IRCC extends the program).

sanjaythakur

Jul 19, 2022
@Mahajanubhav5 , my PGWP is expiring on 1st October, 2022, so I qualify for the extension program. But I can't find any resource on how to apply for it. Can you give me some pointers here?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@Mahajanubhav5 , my PGWP is expiring on 1st October, 2022, so I qualify for the extension program. But I can't find any resource on how to apply for it. Can you give me some pointers here?
This information hasn't been published yet

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Will this new PGWP extn policy let those who got the 18 month PGWP extension in 2021, get another 18 mth extension?
The details haven't been published yet so I don't think anyone can comment on that for certain. So far we've seen nothing that would indicate these people would be excluded. So the assumption is that they qualify. But again, no details yet so impossible to say for sure.

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
The details haven't been published yet so I don't think anyone can comment on that for certain. So far we've seen nothing that would indicate these people would be excluded. So the assumption is that they qualify. But again, no details yet so impossible to say for sure.
Yeah it was my impression that these people (including me) will not be excluded but today at the - Federal and provincial ministers on future of immigration system meeting - please refer to the youtube link -
- at 33:54 Sean Fraser says "that the new PGWP extension will apply to those who had a PGWP AND did NOT benefit from a previous extension to their PGWP".

His tweet from April 22, 2022 said that "We will extend post-graduation work permits for recent international graduates, and those whose permits have or will expire this year will be eligible for an additional open work permit of 18 months."

How does one go back to their employers and tell them that my PGWP is expiring in a couple of months - sorry I didn't tell you earlier bc the Minister changed his tune smh!!

Reactions: jhunix

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yeah it was my impression that these people (including me) will not be excluded but today at the - Federal and provincial ministers on future of immigration system meeting - please refer to the youtube link -
- at 33:54 Sean Fraser says "that the new PGWP extension will apply to those who had a PGWP AND did NOT benefit from a previous extension to their PGWP".

His tweet from April 22, 2022 said that "We will extend post-graduation work permits for recent international graduates, and those whose permits have or will expire this year will be eligible for an additional open work permit of 18 months."

How does one go back to their employers and tell them that my PGWP is expiring in a couple of months - sorry I didn't tell you earlier bc the Minister changed his tune smh!!
Ah - that is new information. Thanks for letting me know and that's very different than what we all assumed. In that case I think it's pretty clear. Those who got an extension before won't qualify for an extension now (I haven't watched the video and am going off of what you quoted above).

In terms of the tweet, it's very vague in my opinion. It doesn't either confirm or deny that those who got extensions before qualify again. You could interpret that info either way. I personally don't feel that today's message is a contradiction of the tweet or a clear "change of tune". Rather the tweet was non-specific and vague (as IRCC tends to do) and the video today has clarified the rules we can expect.

Is there anything out there from earlier this year where IRCC specifically states that those who got an extension previously will qualify for a second extension?

I will find time to watch the video later. But if that's what it says, that really sucks for those who already had one extension.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

So I just tried to watch the video and it ends at around 22 min for me. I can't get to the 33:54 mark. But it's been a long day at the office so maybe I'm doing something wrong...

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
So I just tried to watch the video and it ends at around 22 min for me. I can't get to the 33:54 mark. But it's been a long day at the office so maybe I'm doing something wrong...
I see why (the original youtube video was 44 mins). Please refer to what he says at 13:30 onwards. Also while he did not lay it out in B&W in his April 2022 tweet, it seemed that those got the initial PGWP extn wont be excluded - "We will extend post-graduation work permits for recent international graduates, and those whose permits have or will expire this year will be eligible for an additional open work permit of 18 months." To me the words in bold mean it's for any one with PGWP expiring this year.

My challenge is that my PGWP expires in October 2022. I could have told my employers back in April 2022, and they could have planned a way to have me keep working for them. My employer can't find people like me - I just got promoted. But now at this point, I don't know what to tell my employer?

lcp1234

Jan 6, 2022
Actually he does mention the exclusion. If you check at minute 13:43 after he mentions the expiry period (Sep 2021 to Dec 2022) he says “who did not benefit from a previous extension to these work permits”

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
Ah - that is new information. Thanks for letting me know and that's very different than what we all assumed. In that case I think it's pretty clear. Those who got an extension before won't qualify for an extension now (I haven't watched the video and am going off of what you quoted above).

In terms of the tweet, it's very vague in my opinion. It doesn't either confirm or deny that those who got extensions before qualify again. You could interpret that info either way. I personally don't feel that today's message is a contradiction of the tweet or a clear "change of tune". Rather the tweet was non-specific and vague (as IRCC tends to do) and the video today has clarified the rules we can expect.

Is there anything out there from earlier this year where IRCC specifically states that those who got an extension previously will qualify for a second extension?

I will find time to watch the video later. But if that's what it says, that really sucks for those who already had one extension.
I finally found this IRCC statement which had me think that people like me won't be excluded. Pls refer to Sean Fraser's statement -

"First I’d like to share that Canada is going to extend post-graduation work permits for recent international graduates and for those whose permits already have or will expire this year, we will ensure you are eligible for an additional open work permit for 18 months. We’re working on a simplified and expeditious process. Details are going to be made available in the weeks ahead."

You can find this statement on this page - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2022/05/speaking-notes-for-the-honourable-sean-fraser-minister-of-immigration-refugees-and-citizenship-announcement-on-upcoming-changes-related-to-express.html