+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP EXTENSION

Darshil0498

Mar 22, 2022
Hi. I got a PGWP on January, 2021 and it expires on May, 2023. I was supposed to get the permit for 3 years till January, 2024, but I received till 2023 because, my passport expires on May, 2023. So, my question is if I apply for PGWP extension, would I be able to get the extented work permit or would it be rejected? If it gets rejected, can I apply for open work permit?

ansh23

Nov 22, 2021
Hey there, you need to get your passport updated first then send a webform to IRCC with the new passport, existing workpermit and other information , they will extend it

zzyzxx

Mar 8, 2022
Hey there, you need to get your passport updated first then send a webform to IRCC with the new passport, existing workpermit and other information , they will extend it
I don't think this is a matter of sending a webform to IRCC. You have to apply again like the first time, but with an explanation that your passport had expired and therefore you are requesting for the remaining time left on the PGWP.

ansh23

Nov 22, 2021
I don't think this is a matter of sending a webform to IRCC. You have to apply again like the first time, but with an explanation that your passport had expired and therefore you are requesting for the remaining time left on the PGWP.
Well, I know atleast 5 people who had similar thing and they had it done the last march

Howevr, I ampretty sure you dont need to start PGWP application from the scratch

However, with recent changes in processing times and other changes post-pandemic, if anything has changed I really can't say

ansh23

Nov 22, 2021
Well, I know atleast 5 people who had similar thing and they had it done the last march

Howevr, I ampretty sure you dont need to start PGWP application from the scratch

However, with recent changes in processing times and other changes post-pandemic, if anything has changed I really can't say

I am not an expert , but sharing what I have seen people tried and got successful in the past trying with

zzyzxx

Mar 8, 2022

I highly doubt applying for an extension due to passport expiry is something that the IRCC was fine handling over webform due to covid. As far as I've done the research, it's always been this way. If anything, there has been some debate over applying online vs paper, but the official IRCC guides states that "you must apply on paper".

ansh23

Nov 22, 2021

I highly doubt applying for an extension due to passport expiry is something that the IRCC was fine handling over webform due to covid. As far as I've done the research, it's always been this way. If anything, there has been some debate over applying online vs paper, but the official IRCC guides states that "you must apply on paper".
Thanks for sharing that but as I mentioned earlier I am not an expert and only shared the information that I received from my friends in the past.

zzyzxx

Mar 8, 2022
Thanks for sharing that but as I mentioned earlier I am not an expert and only shared the information that I received from my friends in the past.
I understand, but you shouldn't give out information that isn't based on the current facts. I'm not trying to undermine your intention, but the net outcome is that it's misleading and unhelpful.

Reactions: ansh23

ansh23

Nov 22, 2021

Any ways,

Would you happen to have any information if there is a possibility of getting PGWP-Ext from Border when you have already applied online form within Canada?

I applied on Jan 17th using PNP nomination work support letter and I have to travel out of the country on 14th June (147 days of applying for PGWP-Ext online) can I try any borders?

zzyzxx

Mar 8, 2022
Any ways,

Would you happen to have any information if there is a possibility of getting PGWP-Ext from Border when you have already applied online form within Canada?

I applied on Jan 17th using PNP nomination work support letter and I have to travel out of the country on 14th June (147 days of applying for PGWP-Ext online) can I try any borders?
Probably not, unless the timing lined up miraculously and the decision was made while you were out of the country. But otherwise, the border has no business handling/taking over IRCC matters. And again, you were supposed to apply on paper...

What does your current IRCC status say?

ansh23

Nov 22, 2021
I understand, but you shouldn't give out information that isn't based on the current facts. I'm not trying to undermine your intention, but the net outcome is that it's misleading and unhelpful.
I agree
Probably not, unless the timing lined up miraculously and the decision was made while you were out of the country. But otherwise, the border has no business handling/taking over IRCC matters. And again, you were supposed to apply on paper...

What does your current IRCC status say?

If I leave the country, I will loose my status as a worker, I work for the Provincial Govt in Sask, and tried all possible things, (talked to multiple MPs and Senators, but they can't do anything). Yoday it has been 136 days since my application online and right now processing time is 144 days (historic for last 6 months) and have increased from 133 to 144 in last 5 weeks.

On 14th June (the day I have to leave), mine would be the 148th day, so I am not confident of any results by then.

SO I want to try at the border for any possibilties. But i don't know

zzyzxx

Mar 8, 2022
I agree

If I leave the country, I will loose my status as a worker, I work for the Provincial Govt in Sask, and tried all possible things, (talked to multiple MPs and Senators, but they can't do anything). Yoday it has been 136 days since my application online and right now processing time is 144 days (historic for last 6 months) and have increased from 133 to 144 in last 5 weeks.

On 14th June (the day I have to leave), mine would be the 148th day, so I am not confident of any results by then.

SO I want to try at the border for any possibilties. But i don't know
I applied for my extension(due to passport expiry) in late January as well, and the IRCC portal hasn't even started to review my eligibility yet. So I'm in a similar situation. But if you leave, that's it. It's up to you to chose what's more important. The status or the travel.

ansh23

Nov 22, 2021
I applied for my extension(due to passport expiry) in late January as well, and the IRCC portal hasn't even started to review my eligibility yet. So I'm in a similar situation. But if you leave, that's it. It's up to you to chose what's more important. The status or the travel.
Well, have you heard about getting a work permit from Border?

ansh23

Nov 22, 2021
The border will not issue a PGWP upon re-entry if the IRCC has not made a decision yet. They have no authority to do so.
Nope, I am not talking about re-entry!

I am asking wondering if I drive down to any of the borders with all my documents , explain to them the situation and ask them to issue one.

As I know LMIA holders who change their status from visitor to worker from within Canada, they get their permits from the Border