+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP extension

AizaLaga

Nov 21, 2017
Hi Guys! I need help and good advice . I studied for 1 year and got 1 year work permit now I am currently working as medical admin at a small clinic and the job title is aligned with type B skills so got the chance to have points plus my 3 years work back home. I am still worried thou if these will be enough for my PR application or should I request my company to help me extend my work permit but the thing is I am not sure if we can extend PGWP. Help! I dont know what's the best option to follow.

priscabowman

Star Member
Sep 25, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
03-10-2018
AOR Received.
20-10-2018
Med's Done....
13-09-18
Hi Guys! I need help and good advice . I studied for 1 year and got 1 year work permit now I am currently working as medical admin at a small clinic and the job title is aligned with type B skills so got the chance to have points plus my 3 years work back home. I am still worried thou if these will be enough for my PR application or should I request my company to help me extend my work permit but the thing is I am not sure if we can extend PGWP. Help! I dont know what's the best option to follow.
Does your 3 years back home qualify as a skilled job? With your 1 yr diploma and 3 years experience, why don’t you calculate to see if you got enough points for the federal skilled worker (FSW) category currently?
Another option is to ask your employer if they can get a LMIA for you so you can have enough time after your 1 yr Canadian experience to apply for CEC?

Unfortunately PGWP is a one-time permit which can’t be extended except you have already applied for your PR, then you qualify for a bridging open work permit(BOWP) that allows you to keep working while a decision is being made on your application

Also when do you complete your 1 yr job experience? Is there an extra one month between completion and permit expiry?

Last edited:

AizaLaga

Nov 21, 2017
Does your 3 years back home qualify as a skilled job? With your 1 yr diploma and 3 years experience, why don’t you calculate to see if you got enough points for the federal skilled worker (FSW) category currently?
Another option is to ask your employer if they can get a LMIA for you so you can have enough time after your 1 yr Canadian experience to apply for CEC?

Unfortunately PGWP is a one-time permit which can’t be extended except you have already applied for your PR, then you qualify for a bridging open work permit(BOWP) that allows you to keep working while a decision is being made on your application

Also when do you complete your 1 yr job experience? Is there an extra one month between completion and permit expiry?
I

I am planning to apply for Canadian express entry. I have computed my points and it fits in or it’s enough to get in but I am worried cos I only got 1 yr education and 1 yr Canadian work experience. I am worried cos others might have higher points than me eventhough I have reached the points. Is it per ranking?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am planning to apply for Canadian express entry. I have computed my points and it fits in or it’s enough to get in but I am worried cos I only got 1 yr education and 1 yr Canadian work experience. I am worried cos others might have higher points than me eventhough I have reached the points. Is it per ranking?
It's according to points. You need to have 440+ to have a chance of being selected.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
One more thing, Bridging program can only be applied after PR application has been submitted?rt?
Yes - you can only apply for a bridging open work permit once you have received ITA and submitted a complete PR application. To receive ITA, you must have at least 440 points.

Reactions: AizaLaga

AizaLaga

Nov 21, 2017
Yes - you can only apply for a bridging open work permit once you have received ITA and submitted a complete PR application. To receive ITA, you must have at least 440 points.
I saw that BOP should be apply for 4 months or less than expiry of the work permit. What if I haven’t rcv the ITA yet?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I saw that BOP should be apply for 4 months or less than expiry of the work permit. What if I haven’t rcv the ITA yet?
Then you cannot apply for a BOWP. You can only apply for a BOWP after you have received ITA and submitted your application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
One more question. My 3 yrs work experience back home can be added on my points for CEC,rt?
Yes - as foreign work experience.

Reactions: AizaLaga