+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Extension with Public Policy, IMM 5710e question

islandlife

May 26, 2020
So I have a PGWP (open work permit) due to expire in 2 months and I'm applying to extend it by 18 months per the new public policy. (I also have PR application through CEC, it's been 6 months of waiting but that's another story.)

My question is which one these do I need to select? Apply for a work permit with the same employer? Restore my status as a worker?

I have an open work permit so employer doesn't make sense. I also cannot select "restore my status" choice without selecting either one the first two choices.

Can anyone help?

Deepanshu96

Jul 20, 2018
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
App. Filed.......
04-05-2021
AOR Received.
28-06-2021
Med's Done....
27-05-2021
I have an OWP as well but went with “Apply for a work permit with same employer” though most of the members here are suggesting to go with “apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer”
I don’t know if I made a grave mistake.

islandlife

May 26, 2020
Thanks for responding. I talked to IRCC on the phone yesterday. I was told to select “apply for a work permit with the same employer”.
Since you have an open work permit, your current employer is “open”, you are not looking to change this. So don’t select “first time or new employer”.

Deepanshu96

Jul 20, 2018
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
App. Filed.......
04-05-2021
AOR Received.
28-06-2021
Med's Done....
27-05-2021
Thanks for responding. I talked to IRCC on the phone yesterday. I was told to select “apply for a work permit with the same employer”.
Since you have an open work permit, your current employer is “open”, you are not looking to change this. So don’t select “first time or new employer”.
Well, we attached a letter saying that we have applied under the new public policy for an OWP. So we should be good, anyway.

Tmad

Mar 4, 2021
hi
i got my work permit last year but my passport is expiring this year in june. i just got my new passport as i am entitle to get 3 years PGWP. how do i extend it? Which option best describes your work situation?
i should select international agreement?

Last edited:

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
hi
i got my work permit last year but my passport is expiring this year in june. i just got my new passport as i am entitle to get 3 years PGWP. how do i extend it? Which option best describes your work situation?
i should select international agreement?
I believe you're gonna have to reapply and write a Letter of Explanation.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018

Sriram03

Dec 22, 2020
Hello,

I am out of status and I accidently missed to check the "Restore my status as a worker" option when applying for a work permit extension. Should I submit a web form or withdraw and submit a new application?

Thanks in advance.

miseo

Oct 13, 2022
Hello. My pgwp expired in May and I applied visitor record in April. Right now, I have visitor record. While applying and answering questions on website;
Current status? Must be chosen Worker (because IRCC instructions).
PGWP expiry date? Within 3 months
Do you want to restore your status? Answer must be Yes. Otherwise cant continue.
Should I restore my status? I know that I dont need to restore. Thank you