+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Extension upon PP renewal + PNP Pending

AlishbaSehai

Oct 4, 2015
Hello all,

I received PGWP of 18 months (out of three years) because of my passport expiry. I read on other threads here that in order to get the remaining months, I will have to apply online (for faster processing) and fill the questionnaire the same way I did initially for my PGWP.

However, I have also applied for my PR after receiving provincial nomination. I received the work permit support letter from there as well.

I think I should first apply for the extension of initial PGWP rather than completely abandoning it to apply for the extension based on the PNP letter. Thoughts?

Also, when I fill the questionnaire online, it asks if I have applied for the PNP. Does it change the application if I answer 'yes'?

Please advice.

Thank you

Johnkhuwaja

Star Member
Nov 1, 2018
Hi all,

I have submitted all my documents for express entry last month. Looking at the processing time, I doubt that I would get any update on my application anytime soon. In the meantime, my work permit expires on Feb 20, 2019 and I am eligible to apply for an extension under implied status. For that, I do have a confirmation document from the CIC which says that I could go under implied status because my application is in progress. However, when I first applied for my work permit, I only got my work permit for 2.5 years instead of 3 years because of my passport's expiration data so technically I could also extend my work permit based on the reason that now I have renewed my passport and I am entitled to get my remaining 6 months.

I am really confused about how should I be looking at this situation? Has anyone else experienced this situation. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

John