+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Expiry After January 1, 2024

powermike999

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
Hello all,

A friend of mine is in a dilemma due to the new IRCC rule not to extend a temporary policy providing an additional 18-month work permit to postgraduate work permit holders whose permits will expire on January 1, 2024, or after.

He finished a 1 year course this year and his work work permit is expiring on March 31, 2024. He has a job that he just got in November 2023 but they have told him clearly they will not provide him an LMIA but they are willing to have him continue his work if he can get an extension on his work permit. What options does he have? He wants to apply for an extension using Form IMM 5710 by checking the "Restore my status as a worker" option. Does he stand a chance that the work permit will be extended by at least for another one year since he has a job? He will be eligible for PNP if he stays on the job for another 6 months by September 30, 2024.

I believe there are tens of thousands of international students who will fall into this category starting January 1, 2024, what are the options when one is not yet eligible for PNP, PR or stay through marriage or schooling if your PGWP is going to expire after January 1, 2024 and you have a valid job ?

Reactions: JjboyRd

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
same case my PGWP will expire in march. do you have any advice ?
IRCC has announced there will be no further PGWP extensions. So your employer would need to get an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit.

mp96

Mar 10, 2024
Hello Everyone,

I have CRS 530 score and my PGWP is expiring on March 21, 2024. I'm not sure whether I will get an ITA before my PGWP expiry. I'm trying to find more information to continue working even after the PGWP expiry. I know there are some options as below:

1. Apply for a work permit extension under public policy. I know it will be rejected but it can buy me some time for getting an ITA. Did someone apply for a work permit extension under public policy recently and how long did IRCC take to reject the application?

2. Apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) without AOR. I'm wondering whether can I apply for BOWP with a Letter of Explanation (LOE) instead of AOR. I'm not sure whether it works or not. Did someone apply BOWP with LOE and later submitted AOR using webform, received a rejection or approval recently? How long did IRCC take to process the BOWP application?

3. Another option would be applying for a visitor record. I know it is a safest option but I doesn't allow me to work.

Unfortunately, my employer can't give LMIA so I'm looking out at the above options. Can anyone please provide their suggestions based on any recent experiences?