+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring

AshRK

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
Hi all,

My Post Graduate Work Permit is expiring in May. Me and my wife have created our profile in EE and our CRS is 471. I am still hopeful to get an ITA in the next draw but what are my other options to stay beyond my expiration of my permit. I have a full time job and my wife's PGWP expires next year.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

arajoba

Nov 6, 2019
If you get an invitation say by March early April, submit your PR file before your work permit expires and get AOR. You can apply for Bridging Open Work Permit. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

You can apply for Restoration within 90 days of your wp expiry. If they approve you, you can resume working.

If you didn't get an invitation soon, you can apply for visitor visa, stop working and stay here to complete your PR process.

You can look for LMIA as well but it will take time to get approved.

Reactions: AshRK

AshRK

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
If you get an invitation say by March early April, submit your PR file before your work permit expires and get AOR. You can apply for Bridging Open Work Permit. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

You can apply for Restoration within 90 days of your wp expiry. If they approve you, you can resume working.

If you didn't get an invitation soon, you can apply for visitor visa, stop working and stay here to complete your PR process.

You can look for LMIA as well but it will take time to get approved.
Thanks for your reply. Is there any latest date by which I have to apply for b ridging. Generally they say atleast 30 days before it expires but is it mandatory. What if I get an ITA in March and and get an AOR just 2 weeks before my expiration, can I still apply for Bridging?

arajoba

Nov 6, 2019
Thanks for your reply. Is there any latest date by which I have to apply for b ridging. Generally they say atleast 30 days before it expires but is it mandatory. What if I get an ITA in March and and get an AOR just 2 weeks before my expiration, can I still apply for Bridging?
There is no latest timeline to apply for BOWP. As long as you still have valid status and you are present in Canada you can apply. Your case actually similar to mine. I applied for BOWP 25 Sept, WP expiry date 28 Sept.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

My Post Graduate Work Permit is expiring in May. Me and my wife have created our profile in EE and our CRS is 471. I am still hopeful to get an ITA in the next draw but what are my other options to stay beyond my expiration of my permit. I have a full time job and my wife's PGWP expires next year.

If your wife has a skilled job, you can apply for an OWP based on her PGWP.

AshRK

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
There is no latest timeline to apply for BOWP. As long as you still have valid status and you are present in Canada you can apply. Your case actually similar to mine. I applied for BOWP 25 Sept, WP expiry date 28 Sept.
Thanks. That is good to know.

cheramz

Apr 3, 2017
Hi all,

Hey I am in the same situation, although I haven't applied for EE yet because IELTs exam was suspended due to COVID19. My problem is that my PGWP will expire on Sep this year and it looks like my employer is not supporting any LMIA. I'm working in NOC B with full 1yr experience this coming June. Honestly I don't know what to do now. Is there any other options for me other than going back to my home country?

JssAmA

May 8, 2018
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-01-2019
Passport Req..
20-08-2019
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2019
LANDED..........
03-09-2019
Yes, I’ve done the same thing although I couldn’t continue working because my employer’s HR was kinda clear of the trick and asked me to provide ITA after I showed the proof that I handed in the BOWP.

As long as u can make sure they will receive ur BOWP application, u can submit as late as u want but before ur PGWP is expired!

I would suggest u to submit the paper one since its processing time is much longer than online one, aka giving more time to wait for ITA and once u got it u could provide to them ASAP.

JssAmA

May 8, 2018
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-01-2019
Passport Req..
20-08-2019
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2019
LANDED..........
03-09-2019
Hey I am in the same situation, although I haven't applied for EE yet because IELTs exam was suspended due to COVID19. My problem is that my PGWP will expire on Sep this year and it looks like my employer is not supporting any LMIA. I'm working in NOC B with full 1yr experience this coming June. Honestly I don't know what to do now. Is there any other options for me other than going back to my home country?
Study permit or visitor records are the only option left (or marriage if possible).

cheramz

Apr 3, 2017
Study permit or visitor records are the only option left (or marriage if possible).
So does it mean that even if you're working in the same employer with PGWP and once you request for an extension an LMIA is required? Is there any other way?