+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring soon - outside Canada since Jan 26

kaggarwa

Dec 30, 2020
My CEC inland application is in process and my PGWP and visa are expiring in 11 days.
Can I fly back from India on my current visa and status tomorrow? And tell both Indian and Canadian immigration officers that I will be applying for an extension of my work permit immediately after landing.

I had to fly back to India ~20 days ago and was planning on staying until I get my PR but it turns out I cannot get PR if I am outside Canada. I've messed up bad and now looking for possible resolutions

What would be possible concerns of an immigration officer and how should I address it?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I posted to you a few days ago that you can enter on your current PGWP and TRV. You have only been out of the country 20 days. You said you have a job offer. You need a quarantine plan.

Why can’t you get PR if you are outside of Canada.

Reactions: kaggarwa

kaggarwa

Dec 30, 2020
I posted to you a few days ago that you can enter on your current PGWP and TRV. You have only been out of the country 20 days. You said you have a job offer. You need a quarantine plan.

Why can’t you get PR if you are outside of Canada.
I actually did get a confirmation but when I emailed WST landing for next steps this is the response I got:

"

As per subsection 71.1(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, all foreign nationals are required to be in Canada at the time of Permanent Resident status issuance. Based on the inquiry, you are currently outside of Canada.

As you were outside of Canada at the time of the virtual issuance of your PR status, you were erroneously granted PR status. This has been corrected and so your current status in Canada is Temporary Resident. Please disregard the PR confirmation letter issued to you on February 4, 2021.

Once you have re-entered Canada, please contact IRCC and the processing of your Permanent Residence application will resume."