+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring soon and PR application still in progress

wahabmk

May 2, 2021
Hi,

I am currently on a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) in Canada. I have applied to get Permanent Residency in Canada under the Express Entry (Canadian Experience Class) program. I uploaded all required documents on 4 Feb 2021 after receiving an ITA (invitation to apply). My application is currently going through a background check.

The matter that I need some advice about is that my current Passport is set to expire on 26 Oct 2021. So if I do not get my PR on time (which could be the case due to delays in immigration process caused by the pandemic), I would need to renew my work permit. To renew my work permit, I have 2 options as far as I know:
  1. I can apply for an extension of my work permit. I know that PGWP is not usually eligible for extension. However, the permit I was given was issued only till my passport's expiry date and it has this statement mentioned on it: "Document issued to passport expiry date. Must renew for further extension". So it is eligible for extension I think.
  2. I can apply for a bridging open work permit while I wait for my PR application to be processed.
I would like to know which of the 2 options I should choose? Or if it is wise to apply for both at the same time?