+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring on December 3rd, 2021, and affecting the CEC

ewerter

Jul 28, 2021
Hello everyone. I'm writing this thread to discuss in advance ways to proceed with my case and help me to complete the required time to be eligible for CEC under Express Entry.

I graduated from a one-year full-time course in August 2020, and it took me around four months to get a full-time job offer. I started working on December 7th, 2020 and being a full-time employee since then. I received my PGWP on December 3rd, 2020, and it will expire on December 3rd, 2021. I will not be eligible for CEC for four days.

I want to discuss possible ways to complete this period and increase my chances of being selected in a draw. I believe this is the worst-case scenario ( although I don't see any different situation for me by now) and what I am considering is to come back to college. By the end of November 2021, I'll apply for the study permit, and I'll be under implied status. I'll keep working, complete 52 weeks, and wait to be selected in a draw.

I'd appreciate your ideas and suggestions.
Thanks!

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello everyone. I'm writing this thread to discuss in advance ways to proceed with my case and help me to complete the required time to be eligible for CEC under Express Entry.

I graduated from a one-year full-time course in August 2020, and it took me around four months to get a full-time job offer. I started working on December 7th, 2020 and being a full-time employee since then. I received my PGWP on December 3rd, 2020, and it will expire on December 3rd, 2021. I will not be eligible for CEC for four days.

I want to discuss possible ways to complete this period and increase my chances of being selected in a draw. I believe this is the worst-case scenario ( although I don't see any different situation for me by now) and what I am considering is to come back to college. By the end of November 2021, I'll apply for the study permit, and I'll be under implied status. I'll keep working, complete 52 weeks, and wait to be selected in a draw.

I'd appreciate your ideas and suggestions.
Thanks!
1. You need a full year of experience to qualify for CEC.
2. I don't think you can just continue to work simply because you applied for a SP and are under implied status. Once your work permit expires, you can't work until you apply for another OWP (not a SP).

Do you not qualify for an extension of your PGWP under the new policy? Perhaps look into that.

This is why it's not advisable to do only 1 year program because it's almost impossible to gain the required 1 year full time work experience on a 1 year PGWP.

Reactions: ewerter

ewerter

Jul 28, 2021
Thank you wonderbly for replying to the thread.
Yes, you are correct about the first item. Unfortunately, I need the 52 weeks, although I'll have the required hours one month before.

And I'm concern about that because it's an investment of life and I won't be eligible for four days.

I read something about working part-time. If I applied for a new study permit, can I agree with my employer to work 20 hours/week and complete the requirements for CEC?

And the PGWP extension due to the COVID pandemic was available until yesterday, and I was not eligible for six days. This policy required that your work permit needs to expire within four months from the day you applied. Adding 120 days was not enough to be eligible for this policy.

Thank you!

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Yes, you are correct about the first item. Unfortunately, I need the 52 weeks, although I'll have the required hours one month before.

And I'm concern about that because it's an investment of life and I won't be eligible for four days.

I read something about working part-time. If I applied for a new study permit, can I agree with my employer to work 20 hours/week and complete the requirements for CEC?

And the PGWP extension due to the COVID pandemic was available until yesterday, and I was not eligible for six days. This policy required that your work permit needs to expire within four months from the day you applied. Adding 120 days was not enough to be eligible for this policy.

Thank you!
That is so unfortunate.
RE: part-time - you can work part-time but I think you can only start working after you have gotten your study permit and have started your program, and you must be registered full-time.

aquarius1

Jan 20, 2014

Thank you!
As far as I know you can work full time on implied status (if you previously on pgwp) until and unless you get decision on your application (does not matter you apply study or work permit )this time period will be consider also under pgwp For CEC because your previous status was post graduate work permit but make sure you applied before expiry of your post graduate work permit (pgwp). I would say apply before 5 days of your expiry and apply paper application so You will get more time to get decision and you can work till decision made .
Please double check by ircc by calling By 3 agents at least and ircc Registered consultant 3 different consultant.
Thanks

Last edited:

aquarius1

Jan 20, 2014
As far as I know you can work full time on implied status (if you previously on pgwp) until and unless you get decision on your application (does not matter you apply study or work permit )this time period will be consider also under pgwp For CEC because your previous status was post graduate work permit but make sure you applied before expiry of your post graduate work permit (pgwp). I would say apply before 5 days of your expiry and apply paper application so You will get more time to get decision and you can work till decision made .
Please double check by ircc by calling By 3 agents at least and ircc Registered consultant 3 different consultant.
Thanks
Have you read my above message?
Hope it helps. Thanks