+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring, CEC closed - options to stay & work?

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
Hey all - so my brother (in Canada) has an expiring PGWP (in June), he just got a new job offer after working for about 1 year. After looking at CEC, I realize IRCC is not issuing new invites until July 2022, which means he can't apply for CEC and get invited in time to apply for BOWP.

I looked into this ([https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/visitor-work-permits.html?fbclid=IwAR27vxvQR-MShYpTnxpzNfXZui8PoBwZ5x5taU02IUnzq8qTnQ6YABXVhQI]. I don't have any experience with this tho. It looks like he qualifies.

I see that there are two "programs" under this public policy 1. Eligibility requirements for visitors to apply for an employer-specific work permit AND 2. Eligibility requirements for interim authorization to work. In particular, I don't get this rule "intend to work for the employer and occupation specified by the LMIA or LMIA-exempt offer of employment included in their work permit application submitted under the public policy;" for the second "program". What is a LMIA-exempt offer of employment? Would the one he got be LMIA-exempt? Big4 consulting job.

Can PGWP holders be eligible for this public policy once they submit "employer-specific work permit" application? Or would he have to convert to visitor visa?

Any advice is appropriated,

Reactions: mitesh.davariya16

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey all - so my brother (in Canada) has an expiring PGWP (in June), he just got a new job offer after working for about 1 year. After looking at CEC, I realize IRCC is not issuing new invites until July 2022, which means he can't apply for CEC and get invited in time to apply for BOWP.

I looked into this ([https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/visitor-work-permits.html?fbclid=IwAR27vxvQR-MShYpTnxpzNfXZui8PoBwZ5x5taU02IUnzq8qTnQ6YABXVhQI]. I don't have any experience with this tho. It looks like he qualifies.

I see that there are two "programs" under this public policy 1. Eligibility requirements for visitors to apply for an employer-specific work permit AND 2. Eligibility requirements for interim authorization to work. In particular, I don't get this rule "intend to work for the employer and occupation specified by the LMIA or LMIA-exempt offer of employment included in their work permit application submitted under the public policy;" for the second "program". What is a LMIA-exempt offer of employment? Would the one he got be LMIA-exempt? Big4 consulting job.

Can PGWP holders be eligible for this public policy once they submit "employer-specific work permit" application? Or would he have to convert to visitor visa?

What country is he from? If he gets a job with a LMIA then yes. He would not be LMIA exempt unless he meets certain criteria (eg. trade agreement).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

A Big4 consulting job doesn't make him LMIA exempt. Is his employer willing to go through the LMIA process?

It would help to know what country he is from and his age to determine if there are any other options such as an IEC.

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
A Big4 consulting job doesn't make him LMIA exempt. Is his employer willing to go through the LMIA process?

It would help to know what country he is from and his age to determine if there are any other options such as an IEC.
Oh I see. Thank you! Im not really sure what LMIA exempt is tbh. He's from Taiwan.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you know if the new policy would require a job offer with LMIA?
Which new policy are you talking about? Are you asking about the policy you quoted above? If so, then yes. This policy doesn't allow someone to bypass the LMIA process if an LMIA is required.

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
Which new policy are you talking about? Are you asking about the policy you quoted above? If so, then yes. This policy doesn't allow someone to bypass the LMIA process if an LMIA is required.
Oh okay thanks. How would I know if LMIA is needed? If your applying for a new work permit to change conditions to remain in Canada, would the job offers you get need LMIA?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh okay thanks. How would I know if LMIA is needed? If your applying for a new work permit to change conditions to remain in Canada, would the job offers you get need LMIA?
He needs an LMIA.

His only option without the LMIA is the IEC visa I gave you a link to above. This would give him access to another open work permit if he's selected.

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
He needs an LMIA.

His only option without the LMIA is the IEC visa I gave you a link to above. This would give him access to another open work permit if he's selected.
Do you know if he can apply from within Canada? Also thanks for the information so far :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you know if he can apply from within Canada? Also thanks for the information so far :)
For the IEC? Yes. However he has to enter a pool and be selected first, then apply Suggest you read through the info in detail on the link. Depending on the timing, he may need to take a break in working between the end of the PGWP and the start of the IEC.

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
For the IEC? Yes. However he has to enter a pool and be selected first, then apply Suggest you read through the info in detail on the link. Depending on the timing, he may need to take a break in working between the end of the PGWP and the start of the IEC.
Oh yea I briefly read it. Do you know if he can apply while as a PGWP status? Or does it have to be visitor?

May 1, 2022

Now he can apply for work permit extension, new guideline is there. I am in the same group and hired a consultant too. Let me know if your brother wants to connect with me.

mayh

Apr 27, 2022
Now he can apply for work permit extension, new guideline is there. I am in the same group and hired a consultant too. Let me know if your brother wants to connect with me.
Hi there, I'm in this same situation here. May I connect with you? Any help is much appreciated :)

mayh

Apr 27, 2022
Hi all, me and my husband are in the similar situation of this thread and really some helps. Thanks in advance for any advice from you all.

My husband is on PGWP and I'm on SOWP. Our work permit will expire in Feb 2024. In Feb 2024 we're gonna have 496 CRS score but we don't really have much hope with the draws right now.
We're from Vietnam (I don't think Vietnam is qualified for IEC); both 28 years old. He works in TEER 1. I've been working in TEER 2 for more than one year under SOWP.

Could you please advise us if there's any chance we can extend our work permits in the case we couldn't get an ITA before our WP expires? Thank you very much for any help!