+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - Deadline to apply increased from 90 to 180 days

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
  1. Valid study permit no longer required when applying.
  2. There also seems to be change to if you took unscheduled break, if more than six month have passed then it is forgiven, not sure about this one though, the language is confusing.

parthgusani

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
delhi
App. Filed.......
1 june
Med's Request
13 june
Passport Req..
10 july
VISA ISSUED...
approved
Dose doing two 1 year course give 3 years work permit?

arun437

Star Member
Jan 6, 2019
Hey.
Can you please let me know how this helps international students ?
Does this mean that you can look for a Job after you graduate and then apply for a PGWP within those 6 months period ?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
YES: If you completed more than one program, you may be able to get a PGWP that combines the length of each program. For this, each of the programs you completed must be: PGWP-eligible and your were not issued a PGWP for the first 1 year course you completed

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
  1. Valid study permit no longer required when applying.
  2. There also seems to be change to if you took unscheduled break, if more than six month have passed then it is forgiven, not sure about this one though, the language is confusing.
I think its 150 days...and it has to be an authorized leave from studies?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hey.
Can you please let me know how this helps international students ?
Does this mean that you can look for a Job after you graduate and then apply for a PGWP within those 6 months period ?
You can apply for a PGWP after you graduate...and you have 180 days to do. With a PGWP you can work in Canada...will help you get experience needed to apply for PR

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
YES: If you completed more than one program, you may be able to get a PGWP that combines the length of each program. For this, each of the programs you completed must be: PGWP-eligible and your were not issued a PGWP for the first 1 year course you completed
Be careful given the wording in the guidance implies that the total time for 2 courses needs to total more than 2 years to qualify for upto 3 years. This differs from previous guidance where it was a straight 2x1.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

Reactions: Eveslm

arun437

Star Member
Jan 6, 2019
You can apply for a PGWP after you graduate...and you have 180 days to do. With a PGWP you can work in Canada...will help you get experience needed to apply for PR
Yes, I know that. I would like to know in what way International students can benefit from increasing the time to apply from 90 to 180 days.

dieter15

Oct 26, 2020
Hey there

I have a situation and I'm not sure how to proceed. I am currently not in Canada but in Malaysia. I got my completion letter from university december 2019. Is to late for me apply for my PGWP because i exceeded the 180 days, was not sure what to do also because covid happened and canadian border closed.

Can I send an application in now, will I be refused, I guess waiting for till borders open up just to apply may not be the thing do ? I'm not sure please advise as I'm pretty freaked out about not being able to get my PGWP.

rijol verma

Jul 10, 2020
Hey there

I have a situation and I'm not sure how to proceed. I am currently not in Canada but in Malaysia. I got my completion letter from university december 2019. Is to late for me apply for my PGWP because i exceeded the 180 days, was not sure what to do also because covid happened and canadian border closed.

Can I send an application in now, will I be refused, I guess waiting for till borders open up just to apply may not be the thing do ? I'm not sure please advise as I'm pretty freaked out about not being able to get my PGWP.
how does border opening have a relation with applying for PGWP? even PR applications are being filled by thousands online every month!