+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP/CRS Points (PR) Eligibility

kat_dog

Star Member
May 27, 2021
Hi everybody,

My course is starting in September 2021. It's a 4 semester course (16 months), however looking at the situation and flight bans from India it's looking difficult to be on time exactly in Canada.

My question is; if I start my course online, will I be eligible for the 3 year PGWP and also get my Canadian study points for my Canadian education when I apply for PR? I don't want to defer my intake as I've already wasted time waiting for visa approval and other stuff.

How long can I study online? Is there any limit?

Someone please make this clear.

Rationalwarrior

Star Member
May 22, 2021
At this moment, IRCC has announced that distance education undertaken outside canada can be counted towards the overall length of the post-graduation work permit until December 31, 2021. However, any time spent studying outside of Canada after December 31, 2021 will be deducted from the length of the post-graduation work permit.

With regards to CRS points for Canadian Education, I believe you would have to complete at least 50% of your education within Canada to be eligible.

kat_dog

Star Member
May 27, 2021
At this moment, IRCC has announced that distance education undertaken outside canada can be counted towards the overall length of the post-graduation work permit until December 31, 2021. However, any time spent studying outside of Canada after December 31, 2021 will be deducted from the length of the post-graduation work permit.

With regards to CRS points for Canadian Education, I believe you would have to complete at least 50% of your education within Canada to be eligible.
Can you please link the official sources where they have stated this?

fishnchip92

Star Member
May 24, 2021
My question is; if I start my course online, will I be eligible for the 3 year PGWP.

Studying online outside Canada up to December 31, 2021 will have no adverse impact . You are still eligible for pgwp in accordance to your duration of program.

also get my Canadian study points for my Canadian education when I apply for PR

If your program studied online amount to more half of the duration of the program , you are not eligible for CRS points.

Reactions: kat_dog

kat_dog

Star Member
May 27, 2021

Studying online outside Canada up to December 31, 2021 will have no adverse impact . You are still eligible for pgwp in accordance to your duration of program.

If your program studied online amount to more half of the duration of the program , you are not eligible for CRS points.
Thank you for this. What If I start online and I'm still stuck till next year (July) due to travel restrictions or VFS being closed till July 2022? Is it possible to defer an intake after you started studying in the previous intake?

Can someone recommend me what to do? Start studying online in September or Defer to Jan intake?

fishnchip92

Star Member
May 24, 2021
Is it possible to defer an intake after you started studying in the previous intake?
That is something that only your university will have a say. You'll have to confirm it prior your commencement of your program and also enquire about pgwp requirement because you wouldn't be a full time student if it is an unofficial break. Ask them in written document.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you for this. What If I start online and I'm still stuck till next year (July) due to travel restrictions or VFS being closed till July 2022? Is it possible to defer an intake after you started studying in the previous intake?

Can someone recommend me what to do? Start studying online in September or Defer to Jan intake?
I dont see vfs closed until July 2022… and decision to either study online or defer a semester will be totally up to you.

kat_dog

Star Member
May 27, 2021
I dont see vfs closed until July 2022… and decision to either study online or defer a semester will be totally up to you.

People are saying if I study online further than December 31 2021 then I'm not eligble for PGWP. If I start this september online, and for some reason I have to continue into next year, then I'm screwed?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
People are saying if I study online further than December 31 2021 then I'm not eligble for PGWP. If I start this september online, and for some reason I have to continue into next year, then I'm screwed?
Not people, IRCC guidelines. But if you look it in negative perspective then yes you may think that you are screwed. But if i have approved SP, why not take online class until Dec 31? And take those credits to next year? And who knows may be VFS and Border will be open or they might extend Dex 31 deadline

kat_dog

Star Member
May 27, 2021
Not people, IRCC guidelines. But if you look it in negative perspective then yes you may think that you are screwed. But if i have approved SP, why not take online class until Dec 31? And take those credits to next year? And who knows may be VFS and Border will be open or they might extend Dex 31 deadline
What do you mean take those credits to next year?

kat_dog

Star Member
May 27, 2021
By August Canada should be 80-100% vaccinated with the first dose and like 30% -50% with the second dose. They surely should open the borders to Indians by then?

Starting to worry :(

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
By August Canada should be 80-100% vaccinated with the first dose and like 30% -50% with the second dose. They surely should open the borders to Indians by then?

Starting to worry :(
Good news to Canadians. First phase most likely will be US/CAN border for people fully vaccinated. That hopefully will be in July as they are working on vaccine passport

Mecheh

Nov 2, 2020
Hi,
I have admission for Fall 2021 and I received my study permit.
Because all my courses are online,I want to study from my home country(outside of Canada) and come to Canada in winter 2022.
Is it ok? Is there any problem from immigration side?