+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Concern

Lyst

Feb 10, 2021
Hello there. I was in a fast-track program which had a duration of 1 year and 4 months. I failed some courses and had to take an unofficial break because I had to complete a course which was not available during the semester. However, I was a full - time student up until then and now I finished my final semester Part-time completing the course and program. The sole reason for my unscheduled break is course unavailability which left me with no options. Should I expect a PGWP refusal?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello there. I was in a fast-track program which had a duration of 1 year and 4 months. I failed some courses and had to take an unofficial break because I had to complete a course which was not available during the semester. However, I was a full - time student up until then and now I finished my final semester Part-time completing the course and program. The sole reason for my unscheduled break is course unavailability which left me with no options. Should I expect a PGWP refusal?
I dont think there’ll be an issue, though you were not specific with duration and timing on your narration

Lyst

Feb 10, 2021
I dont think there’ll be an issue, though you were not specific with duration and timing on your narration
Sorry about that. I started the course on Jan 2019 and it was supposed to end April 2020. Failed 2 courses and got pushed back to Aug 2020. Studied Full time. Failed a course again and this course was not available for the coming semester. So, took a break from Sep-Dec. Completed the course part-time from Jan to Apr this year. So I had to take two study permit extensions during the entire course of my studies.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Sorry about that. I started the course on Jan 2019 and it was supposed to end April 2020. Failed 2 courses and got pushed back to Aug 2020. Studied Full time. Failed a course again and this course was not available for the coming semester. So, took a break from Sep-Dec. Completed the course part-time from Jan to Apr this year. So I had to take two study permit extensions during the entire course of my studies.
Provided you complied to the conditions of your SP, you can include note while applying for your pgwp. In normal situation, failed courses indicated student were not actively pursuing students and was distracted with working over required number of hours, if this was not your situation and you did not work during unscheduled break, include a note on why you completed a year after ( 15months program completed after 28months ), VO will make final determination

Lyst

Feb 10, 2021
Provided you complied to the conditions of your SP, you can include note while applying for your pgwp. In normal situation, failed courses indicated student were not actively pursuing students and was distracted with working over required number of hours, if this was not your situation and you did not work during unscheduled break, include a note on why you completed a year after ( 15months program completed after 28months ), VO will make final determination
Thank you Simba for replying quickly. I didn't work during the unscheduled break as well as the part-time semester. I also didn't work over 20 hrs during the course of my studies. When writing a LOE, should I provide an explanation for why I failed the courses along with reason for the break? What should I include to make my explanation more convincing? Should I obtain a letter from college explaining the course unavailability?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you Simba for replying quickly. I didn't work during the unscheduled break as well as the part-time semester. I also didn't work over 20 hrs during the course of my studies. When writing a LOE, should I provide an explanation for why I failed the courses along with reason for the break? What should I include to make my explanation more convincing? Should I obtain a letter from college explaining the course unavailability?
Obtaining letter will make a strong case. Go for it, include with your LOE and all the best..