+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Application URENT Query

Doubled876

May 7, 2020
I am currently in Canada and about to apply for my PGWP. My Student Visa and Permit expires on August 31, 2020. I completed a 2 year program.
Do I also need to apply for a TRV in order to get the full 3 years or will I automatically get a valid Visa upon approval of the PGWP?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I am currently in Canada and about to apply for my PGWP. My Student Visa and Permit expires on August 31, 2020. I completed a 2 year program.
Do I also need to apply for a TRV in order to get the full 3 years or will I automatically get a valid Visa upon approval of the PGWP?
1. 2 separate applications. You need to apply for a PGWP and then apply for a new TRV.

Doubled876

May 7, 2020
Hi

1. 2 separate applications. You need to apply for a PGWP and then apply for a new TRV.
Ok, do I need to wait until I get a decision for the PGWP before I apply for the TRV? Or can I submit both at the same time?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Ok, do I need to wait until I get a decision for the PGWP before I apply for the TRV? Or can I submit both at the same time?
Applying in Canada you need to wait for PGWP to apply for TRV. Applying outside Canada you get TRV automatically. TRV is only required to travel to Canada.

Doubled876

May 7, 2020
Applying in Canada you need to wait for PGWP to apply for TRV. Applying outside Canada you get TRV automatically. TRV is only required to travel to Canada.
Another question. My Student Visa expires Aug 31, 2020. If I proceed to apply for the PGWP and it gets APPROVED (for example, in September 2020) after my student visa expires. Will I still be legally allowed to work full time? Or would i need to apply immediately for the TRV? Just want to ensure that the fact that my student visa may expire before I receive a response for the PGWP, I wont be deemed "out of status" or "working illegally".

Alanna

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
Another question. My Student Visa expires Aug 31, 2020. If I proceed to apply for the PGWP and it gets APPROVED (for example, in September 2020) after my student visa expires. Will I still be legally allowed to work full time? Or would i need to apply immediately for the TRV? Just want to ensure that the fact that my student visa may expire before I receive a response for the PGWP, I wont be deemed "out of status" or "working illegally".
You are legally entitled to work full time after applying for your PGWP as you will be on implied status. Once you get your PGWP, then only you can apply for your TRV.

Everything is stated on CIC website

Doubled876

May 7, 2020
You are legally entitled to work full time after applying for your PGWP as you will be on implied status. Once you get your PGWP, then only you can apply for your TRV.

Everything is stated on CIC website
Ok. Understood. So would they issue a PGWP for *X* number of years even if the student visa expired at the time the approval was granted?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Ok. Understood. So would they issue a PGWP for *X* number of years even if the student visa expired at the time the approval was granted?

1. As explained earlier. They are 2 different processes, once you are in Canada, you don't require a TRV. The validity of the TRV has nothing to do with the length of time the PGWP will be issued.

Doubled876

May 7, 2020
Hi

1. As explained earlier. They are 2 different processes, once you are in Canada, you don't require a TRV. The validity of the TRV has nothing to do with the length of time the PGWP will be issued.
Thanks for responding.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
TRV is pretty much only for boarding a plane to Canada, it does not need to be valid while you are here. Your status in Canada depends on your permit.