+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and working

MissRoxie

Aug 1, 2019
So I just submitted my application online since the Lansdowne plan was a bust (given wrong info again from the previous POE, surprise surprise). Turns out they do NOT process PGWP, they only do landings, *sigh*. Spent 6 hours on the road just to be told that... But I'll save the rant for another thread.

My question is, am I now allowed to work for the time being because I submitted it? My study permit expires today and I did the online application Thursday evening. I was told by one of the officers who seemed knowledgeable that I could work full-time until they make a decision... But I'd like to know 100% for sure, I don't want to just assume

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Looking at your previous thread, your college does not qualify for pgwp so your application will certainly be rejected.

MissRoxie

Aug 1, 2019
Looking at your previous thread, your college does not qualify for pgwp so your application will certainly be rejected.
I read where private colleges who meet the same requirements are included. There really shouldn't be any difference whether it's private or public. They operate the same way and are virtually identical

MissRoxie

Aug 1, 2019
It's on the DLI list... The last officer I spoke to I addressed this with him and he said my school has a code... So I'm thinking (and hoping) there's a chance. Maybe he misunderstood my concern? Guess I'll find out. Also, do I need to switch my status to a visitor while I wait or do I just stay on implied? All these rules and overlapping timelines are confusing

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I read where private colleges who meet the same requirements are included. There really shouldn't be any difference whether it's private or public. They operate the same way and are virtually identical
Being a DLI and being elligable for PGWP are two different things.
You can clearly see the college has a No under PGWP category in the official list shared by the other poster.

If you applied while your study permit was valid you are on implied open work permit status until a decision is made, you dont need to switch.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It's on the DLI list... The last officer I spoke to I addressed this with him and he said my school has a code... So I'm thinking (and hoping) there's a chance. Maybe he misunderstood my concern? Guess I'll find out. Also, do I need to switch my status to a visitor while I wait or do I just stay on implied? All these rules and overlapping timelines are confusing
As stayed above, being a DLI doesn't mean anything. Your school does not qualify for a PGWP. Your app will be refused and you will be out of status. If IRCC decides to reject your app as incomplete because you don't actually qualify for the PGWP, you will not benefit from Implied Status. That means that when you get the rejection in a few months, you would be considered out of status as of today and all work done after this date will be illegal.

As you want to apply for common-law sponsorship, you really should have done this properly. Be prepared to have to leave Canada at some point.

MissRoxie

Aug 1, 2019
As stayed above, being a DLI doesn't mean anything. Your school does not qualify for a PGWP. Your app will be refused and you will be out of status. If IRCC decides to reject your app as incomplete because you don't actually qualify for the PGWP, you will not benefit from Implied Status. That means that when you get the rejection in a few months, you would be considered out of status as of today and all work done after this date will be illegal.

As you want to apply for common-law sponsorship, you really should have done this properly. Be prepared to have to leave Canada at some point.
What do you mean "leave Canada at some point"? I'm technically a common law spouse, as I have been living here for almost 2 years now. I'm here to ask for help or possible solutions, so your post wasn't particularly helpful.

FYI the reason I decided to attempt the PGWP route first was primarily financial, not to mention we need time to gather all the necessary documents. Applying for sponsorship with the work permit fee is over $1,000 CAD. We will have to save up for that.

How will I be out of status and doing illegal work if I was told by an Immigration officer that I was eligible? I was very clear about my school being a private college, and he made it seem like it wasn't an issue as I even read on the CIC that private colleges are accepted if they meet the requirements.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What's the school? Just because the school is on the DLI list doesn't mean it qualifies for a PGWP.

MissRoxie

Aug 1, 2019
What's the school? Just because the school is on the DLI list doesn't mean it qualifies for a PGWP.

I get that. Scroll up to the top of the thread. I see on the list where it's not eligible for PGWP. Wish I would've known that sooner because it looks like I just wasted a bunch of money on the application fee

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I get that. Scroll up to the top of the thread. I see on the list where it's not eligible for PGWP. Wish I would've known that sooner because it looks like I just wasted a bunch of money on the application fee
Ah - sorry to hear that.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What do you mean "leave Canada at some point"? I'm technically a common law spouse, as I have been living here for almost 2 years now. I'm here to ask for help or possible solutions, so your post wasn't particularly helpful.

FYI the reason I decided to attempt the PGWP route first was primarily financial, not to mention we need time to gather all the necessary documents. Applying for sponsorship with the work permit fee is over $1,000 CAD. We will have to save up for that.

How will I be out of status and doing illegal work if I was told by an Immigration officer that I was eligible? I was very clear about my school being a private college, and he made it seem like it wasn't an issue as I even read on the CIC that private colleges are accepted if they meet the requirements.
Just being a common-law spouse gives you zero right to stay in Canada. If you don't sort out your temporary resident status, you may have no choice but to leave Canada or remain here illegally while going through the sponsorship process.

CBSA and the IRCC call centre staff are not immigration officers, so no, you were not told by an immigration officer that you are eligible. As clearly shown on the IRCC website, you aren't eligible.

By applying for a work permit when you don't actually qualify for one, you submitted an incomplete app. If it is rejected as incomplete, you do not benefit from Implied Status. No Implied Status = out of status as of tomorrow and illegal work.

As your permit is still valid today, you may still be able to apply to change your status to visitor. Do this ASAP. I also suggest you stop working.

MissRoxie

Aug 1, 2019
Just being a common-law spouse gives you zero right to stay in Canada. If you don't sort out your temporary resident status, you may have no choice but to leave Canada or remain here illegally while going through the sponsorship process.

CBSA and the IRCC call centre staff are not immigration officers, so no, you were not told by an immigration officer that you are eligible. As clearly shown on the IRCC website, you aren't eligible.

By applying for a work permit when you don't actually qualify for one, you submitted an incomplete app. If it is rejected as incomplete, you do not benefit from Implied Status. No Implied Status = out of status as of tomorrow and illegal work.

As your permit is still valid today, you may still be able to apply to change your status to visitor. Do this ASAP. I also suggest you stop working.
How do I change my status as a visitor? The border doesn't take people on Saturdays. I know because I've tried. I read where I have 90 days to restore my status after it expires. I need to know what my options are and the number on the back of my study permit doesn't work. It won't even let me leave a message

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
How do I change my status as a visitor? The border doesn't take people on Saturdays. I know because I've tried. I read where I have 90 days to restore my status after it expires. I need to know what my options are and the number on the back of my study permit doesn't work. It won't even let me leave a message
You do it online, not at the border. You need to apply ASAP while you still have status.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html