+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and spousal open work permit

Salma.K

Jul 4, 2021
I'm currently in Canada with an open work permit, and my husband has a study permit. He is a student and is graduating soon, and will be applying for a post graduate work permit, as he got a job offer here in Canada. My work permit expires on 2023/09/01, and so does my husband's study permit.

There is a remark at the bottom of my open work permit that says "Accompanying spouse on document valid to the same date. May accept employment only if spouse is enrolled in full-time studies at a DLI; must cease working if no longer meeting this criteria."

My husband is graduating within a few weeks, and is starting his new job on August 1st, he'll be applying for a PGWP as soon as he gradates and has his graduation letter from the university.

I'm currently not working, but I have an offer for contract work, can I accept this offer and start working?
Can I apply for a new open work permit along with my husband's application for a PGWP, and work while it's processing?
How does this work?
I really need help!! And I really want to be able to accept this job offer as I have been unemployed since I came here!

jeeneet

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
I'm currently in Canada with an open work permit, and my husband has a study permit. He is a student and is graduating soon, and will be applying for a post graduate work permit, as he got a job offer here in Canada. My work permit expires on 2023/09/01, and so does my husband's study permit.

There is a remark at the bottom of my open work permit that says "Accompanying spouse on document valid to the same date. May accept employment only if spouse is enrolled in full-time studies at a DLI; must cease working if no longer meeting this criteria."

My husband is graduating within a few weeks, and is starting his new job on August 1st, he'll be applying for a PGWP as soon as he gradates and has his graduation letter from the university.

I'm currently not working, but I have an offer for contract work, can I accept this offer and start working?
Can I apply for a new open work permit along with my husband's application for a PGWP, and work while it's processing?
How does this work?
I really need help!! And I really want to be able to accept this job offer as I have been unemployed since I came here!
1. Your Open work permit application can be processed after spouse gets the PGWP.

2. You may continue to accept the offer *subject to valid open work permit* and need to stop working when it ceases.

3. Inform the employer of the validity of the Existing work permit and the requirement to apply again after spouse receives the PGWP.

Hope this helps.

Also I am not sure how your existing work permit and spouse study visa is valid until Sept 2023 while spouse will be graduating in few weeks. These statements are contradictory. Usually study permit validity is until the tentative date of Completion of Graduation

Last edited: