+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and sponsoring children under TBC treatment of below 21 years old

Vicksy

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Dear all,

I will apply for my PGWP by this year's end or January next year (my PG study is only 1 year) and I want to know what my options are considering my circumstances:

I want to sponsor my children of 17 & 18 years old. The youngest is under non-infectious TBC treatment until November, and we just found out that our oldest son got infected with TBC as well, so he has to receive his medication treatment until April next year. My questions:

1. Is it possible to sponsor my youngest son immediately after his treatment is completed in November, or should we wait until I get the PGWP? Will he still be considered as my dependant as he will be 18 years old next year?
2. I heard that my 18-year-old son has to have his own study permit rather than be sponsored as my dependent child. Is that correct?

I appreciate all your insights.

Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Dear all,

I will apply for my PGWP by this year's end or January next year (my PG study is only 1 year) and I want to know what my options are considering my circumstances:

I want to sponsor my children of 17 & 18 years old. The youngest is under non-infectious TBC treatment until November, and we just found out that our oldest son got infected with TBC as well, so he has to receive his medication treatment until April next year. My questions:

1. Is it possible to sponsor my youngest son immediately after his treatment is completed in November, or should we wait until I get the PGWP? Will he still be considered as my dependant as he will be 18 years old next year?
2. I heard that my 18-year-old son has to have his own study permit rather than be sponsored as my dependent child. Is that correct?

I appreciate all your insights.

Thanks.
1. Your son can apply for a study permit, if he clears the medical. Assume he is going to attend high school.
2. Yes, he will need a study permit. No such thing as sponsorship with a PGWP. What grade will he be attending?

Vicksy

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
2. Yes, he will need a study permit. No such thing as sponsorship with a PGWP. What grade will he be attending?
He will attend college, he starts his 1st year of college next month.

So, basically, for my younger son (he's in 12th grade now) whose treatment will be completed in November, I can apply study permit for him right after he clears the medical right?

Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

So, basically, for my younger son (he's in 12th grade now) whose treatment will be completed in November, I can apply study permit for him right after he clears the medical right?

Thanks.
So your older son has a study permit to attend college in Canada since it starts next month? You have paid all international fees and shown $10k minimum for living expenses.

Your younger son will need to pass medical and apply in November. Given he will only have one semester of high school, he might not get it in time. May want to focus on college. Will pay international fees too.

Given the timelines then expect both kids to be attending college within the year. You will need to show funds to pay their tuition for the first year plus $10k each at a minimum for living expenses.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks.
Yes, once your younger son clears the medical, you can apply for a study permit for him.

Your older son can apply for a study permit too once he has cleared the medical. However his study permit will be independent from yours and he will need to pay international student fees to attend college / university in Canada.

Your yonger son will be able to finish grade 12 in Canada without paying any fees. However once he start college / university, he will have to start paying international student fees to attend.

Vicksy

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
So your older son has a study permit to attend college in Canada since it starts next month? You have paid all international fees and shown $10k minimum for living expenses.

Your younger son will need to pass medical and apply in November. Given he will only have one semester of high school, he might not get it in time. May want to focus on college. Will pay international fees too.
I'm sorry for confusing you. So, my oldest son is now attending university in my home country and after reading your suggestion and @scylla's I will apply for his independent study permit next year after he completes the treatment. As for my younger son, I actually plan to let him retake the 12th grade here in Canada next year as he wouldn't have completed his 12th grade either in my home country.

I have an additional question: My TRV will expire on 31 March 2024 (issued when I was first landing here last April). I suppose I can travel to my home country and return to Canada before the expiry date as long as I have applied for my PGWP before traveling?

Thanks so much, @Naturgrl and @scylla for your knowledgeable suggestions.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm sorry for confusing you. So, my oldest son is now attending university in my home country and after reading your suggestion and @scylla's I will apply for his independent study permit next year after he completes the treatment. As for my younger son, I actually plan to let him retake the 12th grade here in Canada next year as he wouldn't have completed his 12th grade either in my home country.

I have an additional question: My TRV will expire on 31 March 2024 (issued when I was first landing here last April). I suppose I can travel to my home country and return to Canada before the expiry date as long as I have applied for my PGWP before traveling?

You need to have a valid TRV to re-enter Canada.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

So your oldest son will need admission and then need approval paying international fees. As for your younger son, talk to the school board about retaking Grade 12. For some school boards, it is called a Reach Ahead year and may be taken at their continuing ed/adult learning school and not a high school. Again you need to talk to the school board.

Reactions: Vicksy