+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and OWP for spouse

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have a question; maybe someone experienced the same situation. My husband applied for his PGWP. He did not have a job offer at that time, so I didn't apply to extend my WP. Now my WP will expire in 20 days, and he got a Job Offer. However, the consultant told me I can apply to extend my WP only when my husband receives the PGWP. They explained it's possible to apply for a spouse's WP in 2 conditions: at the same moment that you are applying for the PGWP or when you receive the PGWP. So my question is: Did someone apply to extend the spouse's WP in the different condition? I mean, when they were waiting for the PGWP of the student using a letter of explanation? Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

I have a question; maybe someone experienced the same situation. My husband applied for his PGWP. He did not have a job offer at that time, so I didn't apply to extend my WP. Now my WP will expire in 20 days, and he got a Job Offer. However, the consultant told me I can apply to extend my WP only when my husband receives the PGWP. They explained it's possible to apply for a spouse's WP in 2 conditions: at the same moment that you are applying for the PGWP or when you receive the PGWP. So my question is: Did someone apply to extend the spouse's WP in the different condition? I mean, when they were waiting for the PGWP of the student using a letter of explanation? Thanks
In order to apply to extend your PGWP, it is not enough for your husband to have a job offer. He must have already started the job and have received 2-3 pay cheques. Has the started the job already? Does he have at least 2 pay cheques? And is the job NOC A, B or 0?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, thanks for your response! Actually it’s possible to use the last 3 paycheques, even they are old... the point is to apply without the PGWP received...
I'm not sure I understand. How old are the old pay cheques? Are they from the new role?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is what my consultant told me. You need the last 3 paychecks... it doesn't matter how old they are...
I would stop listening to the consultant. You're getting really bad advice. For example, you don't have to wait for the PGWP to be approved to extend your OWP.

They pay cheques need to be for his current role. They can't be for a previous role he's no longer in. He needs to provide a letter from his current employer with details about his role and pay so that IRCC can confirm he's in a NOC A, B or 0 role. The pay slips need to be from that job.

Is he still working in the "old" job now? Is the "old" job NOC A, B or 0?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He is not working, he has a job offer in NOC B. He cannot work as he applied for PGWP on implied status.
In that case the old pay stubs are not going to work. He needs to wait until he starts his new job and is able to provide a letter from the new employer along with 2-3 pay stubs from the new job.

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
Actually he can. A person on implied status can work. My spouse has applied for PGWP and she is working full-time.
Thanks for the response. He cannot because he applied to PGWP without a valid status, he was on implied status regarding his SP. But my question is about applying for WP extension while wait for the PGWP of the student that finished their course.

vinniechandak

Aug 28, 2020

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
Well, I am on the same boat. I posted this thread a while back and got mixed response. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spouse-pgwp-and-open-work-permit-extension.700795/#post-8823792

The immigration agents say that if you have all other documents except PGWP, you should apply for extension. If you are lacking other documents as well, go for Visitor Record. This is the response I got by immigration agents.
You mean, the immigration consultant?

Mila_84

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
The CIC agents with whom we can speak. Not the consultants who offer paid services to file your application.
Good to know. We have a Job Offer and 3 last paychecks (not recently), but we have. A friend of mine applied with the Job Offer only and she got her OWP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good to know. We have a Job Offer and 3 last paychecks (not recently), but we have. A friend of mine applied with the Job Offer only and she got her OWP.
The requirements are very clear. You need 3 pay stubs from your current employer in NOC 0, A or B. Your friend probably got the OWP for her husband who was a student or on a closed work permit.

vinniechandak

Aug 28, 2020
@canuck78 and @scylla If a spouse's work permit extension application is in progress and PGWP holder changes his/her job, what are the consequences ? Should the extension application be updated with newer employment and paystubs?

My wife was a student and currently working fulltime in NOC A category job. I am planning to apply for my extension and while my extension is in progress, if she changes her job in NOC A category, do I have to update my application with her new employment details and paystubs? I won't be having new paystubs immediately as its a new employment.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 and @scylla If a spouse's work permit extension application is in progress and PGWP holder changes his/her job, what are the consequences ? Should the extension application be updated with newer employment and paystubs?

My wife was a student and currently working fulltime in NOC A category job. I am planning to apply for my extension and while my extension is in progress, if she changes her job in NOC A category, do I have to update my application with her new employment details and paystubs? I won't be having new paystubs immediately as its a new employment.
You can only apply if she has 3 pay stubs from a recent NOC 0, A or B job.

vinniechandak

Aug 28, 2020
You can only apply if she has 3 pay stubs from a recent NOC 0, A or B job.
She has 3 pay stubs from current employer with NOC A category job. The question is once I apply for extension, if she changes her job in 6 months (considering current 6 months+ processing time) while my application is in progress, do I need to update my application with her new employment details?