+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and LMIA

dwcho

Apr 27, 2020
Good day, everyone.
I hope everyone is staying safe.

I am a very new graduate of a 2 year program at Seneca College in Toronto, ON.
Since the start of my studies, I have also been working part-time as a cook in a restaurant.
My employer wants to have me onboard full time, now that I have graduated.
He is also willing to provide me with the LMIA and assist in my immigration as a whole.

Now, I am getting ready to apply for my PGWP. (Just waiting on Graduation Letter and Official Transcript)
I understand that I don't need LMIA to get PGWP.

My question is this:

Is the LMIA something I will only need 1 year from now when I create my profile with 1 year work experience?
Or,​
If I can have a job offer right now with the LMIA, should I just add it all in with my PGWP application?

I guess the cumulative question is:

Will it make a difference to my application later on, if I have the LMIA at the start of my PGWP, or if I have it at the time of my profile creation?
I hope this all made sense.

Thank you in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Good day, everyone.

Since the start of my studies, I have also been working part-time as a cook in a restaurant.
He is also willing to provide me with the LMIA and assist in my immigration as a whole.

Now, I am getting ready to apply for my PGWP. (Just waiting on Graduation Letter and Official Transcript)

My question is this:

Is the LMIA something I will only need 1 year from now when I create my profile with 1 year work experience?
Or,​
If I can have a job offer right now with the LMIA, should I just add it all in with my PGWP application?

Will it make a difference to my application later on, if I have the LMIA at the start of my PGWP, or if I have it at the time of my profile creation?

Thank you in advance!
Unless your employer has already applied for an LMIA, they are months away from being able to get one. Having an LMIA makes zero difference to a PGWP app.

dwcho

Apr 27, 2020
Unless your employer has already applied for an LMIA, they are months away from being able to get one. Having an LMIA makes zero difference to a PGWP app.
Thank you for your answer!

A follow-up question, if I may...

So, in my case,
First, I apply for the PGWP without LMIA.
And then work with the mentioned employer for 1 year.
And then I get a job offer with LMIA from said employer and create my profile for Express Entry.

Does that sound like a logical timeline?

Thanks again.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You should not really need an LMIA, since you studied 2 years you should get 3 year work permit, so if you have a job that qualifies for the Canadian work experience points you should be able to apply for express entry in a year while you still have 2 years of PGWP left. LMIA would add points but use the calculator you probably have enough points without it.

Otherwise your plan seems to make sense.

dwcho

Apr 27, 2020
You should not really need an LMIA, since you studied 2 years you should get 3 year work permit, so if you have a job that qualifies for the Canadian work experience points you should be able to apply for express entry in a year while you still have 2 years of PGWP left. LMIA would add points but use the calculator you probably have enough points without it.

Thank you much for your answer!
Duly noted!

jakemole99

Oct 19, 2020

follow up question...
Here's a scenario. After gaining 1 year work experience while on PGWP, my CRS score is still not enough for me to receive an Invitation to Apply on CEC Express Entry (due to age factor). Will having LMIA help? It can give me additional 50 points which could give me a better chance of receiving an Invitation to Apply. If so, will it affect my PGWP?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Omsairam2020

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
Good day, everyone.

My question is this:

Or,​

Thank you in advance!
what is your age bro

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
follow up question...
Here's a scenario. After gaining 1 year work experience while on PGWP, my CRS score is still not enough for me to receive an Invitation to Apply on CEC Express Entry (due to age factor). Will having LMIA help? It can give me additional 50 points which could give me a better chance of receiving an Invitation to Apply. If so, will it affect my PGWP?

Thank you in advance for your reply.
LMIA wont affect PGWP, so if you can get one that's great.