+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and Lay off due to COVID19

Aysherman

Star Member
Mar 23, 2020
I hold a 1-year PGWP which is going to be expired in June and I am 7 weeks short from 1 year canadian work experience because I was temporarily laid off due to COVID19 and I applied for EI.
I wonder if the period I am receiving EI is considered as my work experience? Or will IRCC let me extend my PGWP, eventhough it is a one time deal since COVID19 happened out of no where and is beyond anybody's control. Under normal circumstance I would have been working now.

I am at 467 and I was intending to apply under CEC.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I hold a 1-year PGWP which is going to be expired in June and I am 7 weeks short from 1 year canadian work experience because I was temporarily laid off due to COVID19 and I applied for EI.
I wonder if the period I am receiving EI is considered as my work experience? Or will IRCC let me extend my PGWP, eventhough it is a one time deal since COVID19 happened out of no where and is beyond anybody's control. Under normal circumstance I would have been working now.

No one can answer this right now. You just have to wait for further information from IRCC.

Reactions: Aysherman

Aysherman

Star Member
Mar 23, 2020
rep
No one can answer this right now. You just have to wait for further information from IRCC.

thank you for your reply. You're right.
I made this thread for people sailing in the same boat as I do so that we can share information if anyone could reach out to them and received an answer.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......

IRCC has not made any announcements regarding this, however, while the outbreak is still happening and your work permit is still valid you might be able to apply to have it extended. Especially if you are unable to return to your home country due to travel restrictions.

Read here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html#hasnot-expired
,it says there that if you need to extend your stay you should explain why you need this extension, not being able to return home should be a valid reason which I think will likely results in this, it seems that as long as you apply before your permit expires you'll likely be granted an extension on your work permit. Though I think it's a mystery if they grant you an extension, for how long it'll be.

Aysherman

Star Member
Mar 23, 2020
IRCC has not made any announcements regarding this, however, while the outbreak is still happening and your work permit is still valid you might be able to apply to have it extended. Especially if you are unable to return to your home country due to travel restrictions.

Read here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html#hasnot-expired
,it says there that if you need to extend your stay you should explain why you need this extension, not being able to return home should be a valid reason which I think will likely results in this, it seems that as long as you apply before your permit expires you'll likely be granted an extension on your work permit. Though I think it's a mystery if they grant you an extension, for how long it'll be.
thank you for your reply. I hope I can extend it eventhough PGWP is a one time deal.
Thx friend

Reactions: Pgill2609

Aysherman

Star Member
Mar 23, 2020
I follow I respected immigration consultant and she said that this question is valid but under no circumstances are pgwp extended.

Then I hope they will consider this period as work experience because if the situation was normall I would have been working. It's not fair...

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019
It's not it really isn't, totally agree however it is very important to note that candians and pr are in the same situation, we can't be exempted because we have work permit. I totally agree they should maybe do 9 months of full time.experience to count as cec or allow ei benefits to.cover the weeks missing, this is the unfortunate. And god knows what covid is going to do to immigration

Aysherman

Star Member
Mar 23, 2020
It's not it really isn't, totally agree however it is very important to note that candians and pr are in the same situation, we can't be exempted because we have work permit. I totally agree they should maybe do 9 months of full time.experience to count as cec or allow ei benefits to.cover the weeks missing, this is the unfortunate. And god knows what covid is going to do to immigration

exactly. Specially for those like me with a limited time to work 52 weeks with a 1 year PGWP. I worked for 46 weeks. Only 6 more weeks and I woud be 497 from 467!!!!
It feeld like all those 46 have been for nothing. So frustrating!!!

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019
exactly. Specially for those like me with a limited time to work 52 weeks with a 1 year PGWP. I worked for 46 weeks. Only 6 more weeks and I woud be 497 from 467!!!!
It feeld like all those 46 have been for nothing. So frustrating!!!
Have you got your expree entry portfolio in ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

As the link says, people can apply for work permit extensions if eligible. Unless and until IRCC announces otherwise, the eligibility rules for work permit extensions remain the same. PGWPs are not extendable. Those who aren't eligible are to apply to change their status to visitors

Aysherman

Star Member
Mar 23, 2020
But you had non candian experience so such a shame , it will be ok.
Without one year canadian experience I am at 467 but the cut off score never came lower than 469.
I would have been 497 with the canadian experience. I was counting on it since I maxed out at everything. I lost 5 points due to birthday. I should have been 474 even without the canadian experience if I didn't have a birthdat. Sigh...

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019
Without one year canadian experience I am at 467 but the cut off score never came lower than 469.
I would have been 497 with the canadian experience. I was counting on it since I maxed out at everything. I lost 5 points due to birthday. I should have been 474 even without the canadian experience if I didn't have a birthdat. Sigh...
That's such a shame , they should have invited everyone at 467 in the last draw and five excmeptions for those who.are travelling in