+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and Lansdowne/Thousand Island

MissRoxie

Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone, I have a few questions about the Post Graduate Work Permit and the POE I'm going to. I posted on here a few weeks ago about spousal sponsorship but I think it might be worth it to try this option until we have more money. I'm driving from the Toronto area to Lansdowne/Thousand Island location because Niagara region has proven to be impossible (me and my boyfriend have made 3 trips over the past month and tried all entries to no avail). When we were at Lewiston we were suggested to go to Lansdowne. She said it was processing 24 hours, which seems odd. I've been told conflicting info about other POE before so I'm not sure if this is going to be a huge waste of gas and money. I was planning on making the drive this afternoon as I'm absolutely not a morning person. Another thing is I'm concerned about whether my school will qualify for a permit. It's on the DLI list but it's a private business college. I also worked part time after I finished my classes this past spring, which might present a complication. Found that out when I was being questioned at the Niagara port. I thought I could work 20 hours a week as long as my study permit is still valid (it expires on Saturday). Apparently the rules are also not clear on that either... Any advice would be appreciated

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It is a DLI, but quite clearly states on the government web site, it is not PGWP eligible
Save your gas money, and the drive

Canadian Business College O19556076972 Mississauga Mississauga No-PGWP
Canadian Business College O19556076972 Toronto Scarborough Campus, Toronto Campus No-PGWP

Shmesh

Feb 18, 2020
Hi,
I'd like to share my experience in getting my PGWP at Lansdowne/1000 Islands. We went there on Saturday morning Feb 15th at 10:30 am. Nobody was waiting so I told the officer in Canada that I need to the flagpole for my PGWP. First, he said why you didn't apply online. I said I didn't want to wait. He was absolutely grumpy. Then he said your husband must accompany you in the US border, while I didn't want to take him. We had planned that he waits for me in the Canada office while I cross the border. We had the same experience when he wanted to get his PGWP in another port of entry. But the officer insisted this is a governmental building and we don't let you sit and wait here. We explained that we are Iranian citizens and an unnecessary visit to the US border is foolish as we might go through an intense security interview, especially after the rise of the tensions between Iran and the US. But he insisted so I dropped my husband in a cafe 2-3 minutes inside Canada and let him wait there. It was such a cozy place and the lady working there was a nice and helpful person. I drove to the US border and waited in the line by car for 30 minutes. Then the officer guided me to parking and they got my car keys and I went to the office. As an Iranian citizen, I expected to be interviewed. But they were absolutely nice and asked me several personal questions and took my phone and its code to investigate. I was not taken to any special room, just a nice lady came and called out my name each time for asking polite questions. I was kept waiting for 2 hours there, then left the US with a flagpole paper. The Canadian officer at the border was also grumpy. He told me you should have applied online and you have been a student and are not a disabled person not to be able to use the computer. He was so rude. He finally guided me to parking and I went in to start the process of issuing my PGWP. Fortunately, the lady officer doing my work was so nice, however, she seemed to be a beginner and it took her another 2 hours to give me my PGWP. She asked for bank statements, so I recommend everybody to take it. I know from my husband's previous experience that issuing PGWP is a 10-minute process, so I was frustrated at the end. Finally, after a 5-hour process, I had my PGWP, valid for three years, at my hand.
Generally, I recommend this border because it is not busy. But expect to see the rudest and grumpiest Canadian officers and the most polite American officers of your life here.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I'd like to share my experience in getting my PGWP at Lansdowne/1000 Islands. We went there on Saturday morning Feb 15th at 10:30 am. Nobody was waiting so I told the officer in Canada that I need to the flagpole for my PGWP. First, he said why you didn't apply online. I said I didn't want to wait. He was absolutely grumpy. Then he said your husband must accompany you in the US border, while I didn't want to take him. We had planned that he waits for me in the Canada office while I cross the border. We had the same experience when he wanted to get his PGWP in another port of entry. But the officer insisted this is a governmental building and we don't let you sit and wait here. We explained that we are Iranian citizens and an unnecessary visit to the US border is foolish as we might go through an intense security interview, especially after the rise of the tensions between Iran and the US. But he insisted so I dropped my husband in a cafe 2-3 minutes inside Canada and let him wait there. It was such a cozy place and the lady working there was a nice and helpful person. I drove to the US border and waited in the line by car for 30 minutes. Then the officer guided me to parking and they got my car keys and I went to the office. As an Iranian citizen, I expected to be interviewed. But they were absolutely nice and asked me several personal questions and took my phone and its code to investigate. I was not taken to any special room, just a nice lady came and called out my name each time for asking polite questions. I was kept waiting for 2 hours there, then left the US with a flagpole paper. The Canadian officer at the border was also grumpy. He told me you should have applied online and you have been a student and are not a disabled person not to be able to use the computer. He was so rude. He finally guided me to parking and I went in to start the process of issuing my PGWP. Fortunately, the lady officer doing my work was so nice, however, she seemed to be a beginner and it took her another 2 hours to give me my PGWP. She asked for bank statements, so I recommend everybody to take it. I know from my husband's previous experience that issuing PGWP is a 10-minute process, so I was frustrated at the end. Finally, after a 5-hour process, I had my PGWP, valid for three years, at my hand.
Generally, I recommend this border because it is not busy. But expect to see the rudest and grumpiest Canadian officers and the most polite American officers of your life here.
Just to put this into context. It is not really the job of CBSA at the US border to be dealing with flagpoling. Although you say they weren’t busy I assume there was traffic at the border for people entering Canada from the US which is really their job.