+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and an LMAI-exempt job.

May 21, 2024
Hello everyone,

I have a big question, as this seems very confusing to me. I am a Mexican citizen who graduated with an MBA and has an open work permit; I have worked in my company as a tier 0 management for a year and recently got promoted. Since I have another job offer letter within the same company, is this a valid job offer for my PR? My current offer falls under the CUSMA lMAI exempt jobs as a restaurant manager, but it does not give me the points on the application.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have a big question, as this seems very confusing to me. I am a Mexican citizen who graduated with an MBA and has an open work permit; I have worked in my company as a tier 0 management for a year and recently got promoted. Since I have another job offer letter within the same company, is this a valid job offer for my PR? My current offer falls under the CUSMA lMAI exempt jobs as a restaurant manager, but it does not give me the points on the application.
A job offer alone gives no points. To get 50 points, you need a LMIA or work for a year on your LMIA exempt permit. What profession does it fall under CUSMA? Are you a hotel manager?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

Short answer is no, you don't qualify for job offer points based on this. Your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA. Alternatively, you would need to switch to a closed work permit under CUSMA and work for your employer on that work permit for a full year to qualify for the job offer points.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
yes hotel manager on an open permit
Ok. You said restaurant manager. Get closed work permit under CUSMA LMIA exemption, work a year and then you can count points.

These are the CUSMA requirements for a closed work permit.
Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in hotel/restaurant management; or Post-Secondary Diploma or Post-Secondary Certificate in hotel/restaurant management, and three years experience in hotel/restaurant management