+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP after studying 2 different one-year programs ?

FatimaMah93

Oct 12, 2016
I just got accepted into an ontario college advanced diploma program at Centennial College with advance standing, which means i'll only have to study for 1 year 4 months, instead of 3 years (because i always have a bachelors degree). After I finish, I plan on going to Sheridan for a one year certificate program.

How would this affect my PGWP application? Having spent 2 years in college in 2 different programs, would I still be eligible for the 2-3 year PGWP ?

garyastudent

Sep 3, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will get the PGWP for 2-3 Yrs, It doesn't matter if you complete the Study from 2 institutes unless one of them is not recognized by the government for PGWP.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
Well, you may get a 2-3 years PGWP or a 1year4 months PGWP, your situation is very tricky. Some people here had to struggle because of this. If you want to be sure you shold go for a 2-3 years diploma/course

garyastudent

Sep 3, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Frisk said:
Well, you may get a 2-3 years PGWP or a 1year4 months PGWP, your situation is very tricky. Some people here had to struggle because of this. If you want to be sure you shold go for a 2-3 years diploma/course
1 Year 4 months is not acceptable as in total he will studying for 2 years and 4 months, I studied for 12 months and then GAS for 4 months and received 3 yrs PGWP.

As per the IRCC they only want you to study for 4 terms in 2 years to be eligible for 3 years PGWP, I am not saying that he will get 3 yrs for sure can be 2 depending on the VO. however the chances of him getting 3 Yrs are great, Other then that you have to ensure that you do not take a break in between to show continuity in your Studies....

Hope that make sense...

scorpio1641

Apr 12, 2014
Visa Office......
VFS Cebu
App. Filed.......
16-02-2015
Med's Request
17-02-2015 / Med. Furtherance Request: 09-03-2015
Med's Done....
26-02-2015 / Furtherance Done: 10-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-07-2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2015
how many terms (semesters) does your program have? 16 months can be considered as a two year program. Or does the 1year 4 months include a summer break?

I would advise you get your additional program at Centennial instead of transferring to another school, because the way they do it here, you can do two one year programs and they print it as one transcript, so students can get the 3 year PGWP

(why I know this? - I am currently studying at Centennial)

FatimaMah93

Oct 12, 2016
scorpio1641 said:
how many terms (semesters) does your program have? 16 months can be considered as a two year program. Or does the 1year 4 months include a summer break?

I would advise you get your additional program at Centennial instead of transferring to another school, because the way they do it here, you can do two one year programs and they print it as one transcript, so students can get the 3 year PGWP

(why I know this? - I am currently studying at Centennial)
There are a total of 4 semesters, but since Im starting from semester 3, I'll only be studying there for the duration of 2.
If you dont mind me asking, whats the college like? I got into the biotech program and from all the horror stories I've heard online I'm a bit reluctant to register

amit_27

Feb 20, 2016
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
11-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-06-2016
File Transfer...
18-07-2016
Passport Req..
12-12-2016
FatimaMah93 said:
There are a total of 4 semesters, but since Im starting from semester 3, I'll only be studying there for the duration of 2.
If you dont mind me asking, whats the college like? I got into the biotech program and from all the horror stories I've heard online I'm a bit reluctant to register

What horror stories have you heard?

Khanhanu

Oct 27, 2016
I have a similar question. I got an admit in Community pharmacy assistant certificate 1year program (2 semesters) at sheridan college.After completing pharmacy assistant program i intend to take health care management 1 yr diploma program at lambton college.
Will it be a problem obtaining a 2 or 3 year work permit as the other program is not pharmacy related but it is related to the health care.

garyastudent

Sep 3, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Khanhanu said:
I have a similar question. I got an admit in Community pharmacy assistant certificate 1year program (2 semesters) at sheridan college.After completing pharmacy assistant program i intend to take health care management 1 yr diploma program at lambton college.
Will it be a problem obtaining a 2 or 3 year work permit as the other program is not pharmacy related but it is related to the health care.
No I t won't be.... You are legally allowed to study as many courses as you want...

thila211

Jan 10, 2021
hello,
I came to Canada for two-year program in DLI approved college. will it be a problem if I change this to two one year programs in two different colleges ( going to change my current program to one year program and after completing one year I'm going to shift to another college for one year program. Please be kind enough to tell me what is the negative impact of this decision?