+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP actual length?

enguyen302

May 23, 2021
Hello guys,
I am a little bit confused, can anyone please tell me what will be the length of PGWP in my case:

1-year master program - 3 terms: Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Winter 2021. Each term is 4 months.

In my admission offer letter, it states that the length of the program is 12-24 months. But my program actually started on September 1st, 2020, and the graduation date is Mid-October 2021. My study permit is set to expire on December 31, 2021, though.

A couple of my friends told me that with 3 terms of studying, I should be getting 1.5 years PGWP, but then the university's immigration consultant told me differently that I would be only getting one year.

Please help. Thanks so much.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello guys,
I am a little bit confused, can anyone please tell me what will be the length of PGWP in my case:

1-year master program - 3 terms: Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Winter 2021. Each term is 4 months.

In my admission offer letter, it states that the length of the program is 12-24 months. But my program actually started on September 1st, 2020, and the graduation date is Mid-October 2021. My study permit is set to expire on December 31, 2021, though.

A couple of my friends told me that with 3 terms of studying, I should be getting 1.5 years PGWP, but then the university's immigration consultant told me differently that I would be only getting one year.

Please help. Thanks so much.
If your length of studies is between 8 months to less than 2 years, they will give you PGWP exactly same period as your studies. In your case, it will be 1 year. Provided that your definition of graduation date is the last day of attending class.

enguyen302

May 23, 2021
If your length of studies is between 8 months to less than 2 years, they will give you PGWP exactly same period as your studies. In your case, it will be 1 year. Provided that your definition of graduation date is the last day of attending class.
Thanks for your response. What I meant by graduation date is the official Convocation Date. I believe that my last date of attending class is some time around early August since I am just doing a capstone project without a final exam. In this case, would my PGWP length be 11 months then?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks for your response. What I meant by graduation date is the official Convocation Date. I believe that my last date of attending class is some time around early August since I am just doing a capstone project without a final exam. In this case, would my PGWP length be 11 months then?
It will be the last day of receiving your final grades. They will rely on customized completion letter from the University and transcript to determine lengthy of your pgwp