+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP; 2 months of unauthorized work prior to first semester

Jaccree

Dec 24, 2019
Hello,

As the title says, I have roughly two months of unauthorized employment history prior to the first semester.
I noticed this just about 4 weeks ago when I finished my final required course for graduation.
At the time I started working, I thought that the period before the first semester could be considered as 'scheduled break', but it turned out that it is a clear violation of the rule.

I have submitted an application for the bridge extension of my study permit, and I am waiting for the official transcript and the completion letter which are expected to be delivered within a week from now.

With my record of unauthorized work history, I have a very high chance of getting a refusal on my study permit as well as my future PGWP. About this, I have talked to an immigration consultant($100) and an immigration lawyer.

The consultant advised me to go flagpole at the border as they only require the completion letter and the transcript, and not the form and other documents. Whereas the lawyer said that the government has started to ban flagpole, and suggested to hire them to do all the work for me including writing a letter of explanation, but the cost would be $2,000 + tax.

Can anyone share their experience/opinions on whether I should hire the lawyer or flagpole? or is there any other way that you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hello,

As the title says, I have roughly two months of unauthorized employment history prior to the first semester.
I noticed this just about 4 weeks ago when I finished my final required course for graduation.
At the time I started working, I thought that the period before the first semester could be considered as 'scheduled break', but it turned out that it is a clear violation of the rule.

I have submitted an application for the bridge extension of my study permit, and I am waiting for the official transcript and the completion letter which are expected to be delivered within a week from now.

With my record of unauthorized work history, I have a very high chance of getting a refusal on my study permit as well as my future PGWP. About this, I have talked to an immigration consultant($100) and an immigration lawyer.

The consultant advised me to go flagpole at the border as they only require the completion letter and the transcript, and not the form and other documents. Whereas the lawyer said that the government has started to ban flagpole, and suggested to hire them to do all the work for me including writing a letter of explanation, but the cost would be $2,000 + tax.

Can anyone share their experience/opinions on whether I should hire the lawyer or flagpole? or is there any other way that you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Government is not banning flagpole this is a lie, just do it yourself.

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
It's not banned . IRCC is discouraging flagpoling. The Nov 15 communication is addressed to the DLI stating that students should not do flagpoling . You can search these forum for a copy of that letter by IRCC. There were DLI which were implicitly encouraging flagpoling . May be it was in relation to that. There is no communication available from IRCC to CBSA banning flagpoling. Students have got PGWP after the said letter. You can search these forum for it.

Nav_deep

Star Member
Jan 10, 2020
How did they know you work history? For PGWP, I don't think we are required to submit our SIN number.... so how did the immigration know these?
They Knew everything , because our SIN number and all other information is mostly linked to phone number . Moreover , IRCC and Canadian revenue agency shares information .They can fiche our whole record related to bank accounts , transactions and many more. This happened to one of my friend in 2018 while he did flag poling to get PGWP.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Is there a way to look up your own income history through SIN. I'm worried incase my SIN has been compromised which may affect my pgwp application

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
They Knew everything , because our SIN number and all other information is mostly linked to phone number . Moreover , IRCC and Canadian revenue agency shares information .They can fiche our whole record related to bank accounts , transactions and many more. This happened to one of my friend in 2018 while he did flag poling to get PGWP.
Not, they dont share info like that, IRCC does not have access to your work hours. About the only way you will get caught for overworking is getting caught in the act or admitting it in your application forms.

Nav_deep

Star Member
Jan 10, 2020
Not, they dont share info like that, IRCC does not have access to your work hours. About the only way you will get caught for overworking is getting caught in the act or admitting it in your application forms.
When IRCC requesting for bi weekly pay stubs from students , they got cue from your income and that they knows from your income tax history .

Nanaboakye10

Jan 14, 2020
If IRCC send a mail concerning fair produceral letter to prove ur self does the person has a higher chance to be granted the visa if he explain well?