+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP - New Interest to Sponsor Form - Reopen??

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
I don't have much of a dog in this fight, but I think this point of yours is worth emphasizing: for a whole lot of reasons, Canada is not going to limit access of PR-sponsored parents to health care, old age support, or most other benefits.

Some people recognize this but many don't: that's an ENORMOUS liability the government (actually multiple levels of government) are adopting - with, for the most part, those parents paying little in the way of ongoing taxes that probably - for the most part - won't be met by their sponsoring children either.

Some will claim their parents do/will pay taxes, that their own taxes will compensate, they won't make much use of health care, etc, etc. Well, maybe - but it doesn't matter because statistically the sponsored parents can and might make use of them. Canada is not going to limit access to these benefits if they're needed.

Therefore the selection has to be limited somehow to modest numbers: by money (like Australia), by lottery (like now), or by some other mechanism (feel free to propose). None of them are going to feel 'fair' to everyone.

Right now, with problems with health care access and a shortage of housing, it's going to be even less popular. That's why I say I doubt there will be another lottery before the next election (and who knows after?): it would be another political punching bag that the current governing party doesn't need.

[Note, overall I think this program has less party valence than many think. Conservatives will probably have some program for parents, too, just perhaps more limited or more restrictive somehow. I could be wrong about that - but I guarantee if Libs introduce another lottery, the Cons will attack it mercilessly.]
I agree with the points about asking the country to bear the health care and welfare for population that's likely not going to contribute to the society via GDP and taxes is not all that reasonable. However, I think the system should be either everyone has access to the lottery (eg. not only the 2020 pool for year after year) or simply no one does. I thought of another way to try to balance the system out a little bit is introduce a big fee for even showing interest to sponsor, like ask for $2000 for each applicant right off the bat. That way you weed out all the people just putting their name in but not either eligible nor really interested in following through with the actual application. Also, that gives the government some money to balance out some of the expenses.

Reactions: kiqr

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
However, I think the system should be either everyone has access to the lottery (eg. not only the 2020 pool for year after year) or simply no one does.
Well, the repeated draws from that single pool are clearly a half-measure. But you can easily see how ANY decision gets someone mad about unfairness (think of those people who still haven't been drawn from the 2020 pool).

I thought of another way to try to balance the system out a little bit is introduce a big fee for even showing interest to sponsor, like ask for $2000 for each applicant right off the bat. That way you weed out all the people just putting their name in but not either eligible nor really interested in following through with the actual application. Also, that gives the government some money to balance out some of the expenses.
I think this would get quickly shot down as seeming to applicants like a scheme to extract money from them.

Heck, as it is, we get people complaining all the [adjective] time about how TRV fees (at only $100 or whatever) are just a scheme to raise money for government on the back of poor travellers*, when it clearly doesn't even cover the costs of TRV.

Chances of a $2000 non-refundable fee just to participate in a lottery? Zero. (And if it's refundable, just more hassle for government)

*If they were actually 'poor travellers', they would basically never qualify for TRV.

Increasingly I think the only real answer is some strict limit, like only qualify people who've spent some minimum number of days in Canada on supervisa (i.e. who really want to stay) and charge quite a bit more money. (And even that won't be popular and has its own problems)

Reactions: canuck78 and kiqr

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
Well, the repeated draws from that single pool are clearly a half-measure. But you can easily see how ANY decision gets someone mad about unfairness (think of those people who still haven't been drawn from the 2020 pool).
I think half-measure is the right term, but honestly I couldn't care less for the people who didn't get picked in the 2020 pool - it's a lottery and has been described as such, it doesn't mean everyone will get picked. As I have mentioned before (may be in the PGP2024 thread), if IRCC had been transparent during the 2020 sponsor interest intake that that specific pool will be the only pool for the following years, I am sure a lot of people including myself wouldn't be as upset about it. It's really the year after year of hoping the pool would get reopened and the disappointment that just keep adding to the hate.

Increasingly I think the only real answer is some strict limit, like only qualify people who've spent some minimum number of days in Canada on supervisa (i.e. who really want to stay) and charge quite a bit more money. (And even that won't be popular and has its own problems)
I don't dislike that idea, I think any idea that proves the sponsor(s) and applicant(s) have demonstrated they are committed and exhausted the avenues and resources available to them to reach this goal shall be considered.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
... but honestly I couldn't care less for the people who didn't get picked in the 2020 pool - it's a lottery and has been described as such, it doesn't mean everyone will get picked. ... I am sure a lot of people including myself wouldn't be as upset about it. It's really the year after year of hoping the pool would get reopened and the disappointment that just keep adding to the hate.
To be clear, I'm not asking you to 'care', nor asking you to decide that what's happened has been less fair to them than for you (the multiple draws is frankly weird, and I can understand why you're mad; I think done because that was a way they could keep noise down about the actual numbers being small) - I'm pointing out that from perspective of govt, it's mostly a lose-lose. Everyone thinks something was more fair to someone else than it has been to them. And from what I've seen here, there's not much of either gratitude or just recognition of how lucky those who've 'won' the lottery are. Mostly just more griping about the taxes we paid, or complaining werent' selected because the income requirements are too high, etc. (Note that of course the reasons people are mad contradict each other)

As you put it, it all just keeps 'adding to the hate.'

Very little upside for them. Now that they've cracked down on the student visas (which did get totally out of hand), I doubt there's much appetite for some time before they start doing PGP. But maybe I'm wrong.

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
I am in, if they don’t open in future, me and my wife both professional in high demand occupation with setup bussiness giving plenty of taxes to government, will leave this country and land safely in Saudi Arabia who will recieve us with open arms with loads of money and a place for our parents. I am definitely in to raise a petition!
In addition happy to write a letter to MP too …
NO dont go anywhere! Youve been paying taxes all this time and your taxes have been helping all the parents and grandparents of immigrants and native Canadians! You deserve family reunification just like everyone else deserved it! And you deserve to spend last years with your parents so you can take care of them! Demand your rights, right to a family... Dont listen to all BS on this forum who see your parents as burden to Canada... they are not burden and will never be! You deserve a right to family like all Canadians under the constitution! Do you know there is a petition already out to be signed? I already signed one and will be working on class action lawsuit as well! Under the law either everyone is equal or NO ONE!

Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (S.C. 2001, c. 27)
Objectives — immigration
  • 3 (1) The objectives of this Act with respect to immigration are
    • (d) to see that families are reunited in Canada;

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
NO dont go anywhere! Youve been paying taxes all this time and your taxes have been helping all the parents and grandparents of immigrants and native Canadians! You deserve family reunification just like everyone else deserved it! And you deserve to spend last years with your parents so you can take care of them! Demand your rights, right to a family... Dont listen to all BS on this forum who see your parents as burden to Canada... they are not burden and will never be! You deserve a right to family like all Canadians under the constitution! Do you know there is a petition already out to be signed? I already signed one and will be working on class action lawsuit as well! Under the law either everyone is equal or NO ONE!

Objectives — immigration
  • 3(1) The objectives of this Act with respect to immigration are
Canada defines families as spouses and dependent children not parents and grandparents.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Objectives — immigration
  • 3(1) The objectives of this Act with respect to immigration are
Take a look at the IRCC glossary
Glossary - Canada.ca

Family members
An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application to IRCC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

Last edited:

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
Canada defines families as spouses and dependent children not parents and grandparents.
If Canada would make it clear to these immigrants at the beginning that we can never ever (not even after decade) bring our parents here Im sure they would think twice before coming here. And if not all these immigrants here, do you really think they would have such strong economy? What if someone is not married and will never get married... and their only family is their parents? The parents are not defined as families??? Says who?? Universal definition of Family starts with parents... who said parents are not family? Who are they then? Neighbours? So parents are families in certain cases based on Canada.ca? whenever they want they are family whenever they dont want they are not family? is this legit?

Search for: What is counted as family?

Who are family members in Canada?

In this case, family member means your:
  • parent.
  • guardian.
  • sibling.
  • spouse.
  • common-law partner.
  • conjugal partner.
  • grandparent.
  • child.
More items...

Mar 11, 2024
Glossary - Canada.ca

Last edited:

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
Take a look at the IRCC glossary
Glossary - Canada.ca

Family members
An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application to IRCC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

AND AGAIN!!!!!

• parent.
  • guardian.
  • sibling.
  • spouse.
  • common-law partner.
  • conjugal partner.
  • grandparent.
  • child.
More items...

Mar 11, 2024

Glossary - Canada.ca

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Well, then lets kick out all parents and grandparents of other Canadians out of this country so we are all equal under the law!!! and if Canada would make it clear to these immigrants at the beginning that we can never ever (not even after decade) bring our parents here Im sure they would think twice before coming here. And if not all these immigrants here, do you really think they would have such strong economy? What if someone is not married and will never get married... and their only family is their parents? The parents are not defined as families??? Says who?? Universal definition of Family starts with parents... who said parents are not family? Who are they then? Neighbours? So parents are families in certain cases based on Canada.ca? whenever they want they are family whenever they dont want they are not family? is this legit?

• parent.
  • guardian.
  • sibling.
  • spouse.
  • common-law partner.
  • conjugal partner.
  • grandparent.
  • child.
More items...

Mar 11, 2024
Glossary - Canada.ca
Interesting that you quoted the same link as mine but read it differently.

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
Interesting that you quoted the same link as mine but read it differently.
LOL I did not read it differently! Do you not speak English???

• parent.
  • guardian.
  • sibling.
  • spouse.
  • common-law partner.
  • conjugal partner.
  • grandparent.
  • child.
More items...

Mar 11, 2024
Glossary - Canada.ca

WHAT DO THEY MEAN IN THIS CASE AND THAT CASE - They cannot just call them family selectively whenever works for them!

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
Applicant categories
There are 2 categories of family members who are eligible to apply for permanent residence under this policy.

Category 1: A family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in Canada
You can apply to immigrate under this policy if you meet the following conditions.

You must :

• be a Ukrainian national
  • be a family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident including their:
    • spouse or common-law partner
    • child (regardless of age)
    • grandchild
    • parent
    • grandparent, or
    • sibling (or half-sibling)
Parents are considered family for Ukrainian Canadian Citizens and Permanent residents but for everyone else parents ARE NOT family?????

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
LOL I did not read it differently! Do you not speak English???

• parent.
  • guardian.
  • sibling.
  • spouse.
  • common-law partner.
  • conjugal partner.
  • grandparent.
  • child.
More items...

Mar 11, 2024
Glossary - Canada.ca

WHAT DO THEY MEAN IN THIS CASE AND THAT CASE - They cannot just call them family selectively whenever works for them!
You are quoting the definition of
Certified photocopy
A photocopy of an original document. It must be readable and certified as a true copy of the original by an authorized person. The person compares the documents and marks on the photocopy:

• their name and signature
  • their position or title
  • the name of the original document
  • the date they certified the document
  • the phrase “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document.”
In Canada, examples of authorized persons who can certify the copies of your original documents include:

• notary public
  • commissioner of oaths, or
  • commissioner of taking affidavits
Check with your provincial or territorial authorities to be sure who can certify your documents.

Outside Canada, each country has different authorities to certify documents. A notary public may be able to certify your documents, but you should check with your local authorities to be sure.

You and your family members cannot certify copies of your documents. In this case, family member means your:

• parent
  • guardian
  • sibling
  • spouse
  • common-law partner
  • conjugal partner
  • grandparent
  • child
  • aunt
  • uncle
  • niece
  • nephew
  • first cousin

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
You are quoting the definition of
Certified photocopy
A photocopy of an original document. It must be readable and certified as a true copy of the original by an authorized person. The person compares the documents and marks on the photocopy:

• their name and signature
  • their position or title
  • the name of the original document
  • the date they certified the document
  • the phrase “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document.”
In Canada, examples of authorized persons who can certify the copies of your original documents include:

• notary public
  • commissioner of oaths, or
  • commissioner of taking affidavits
Check with your provincial or territorial authorities to be sure who can certify your documents.

Outside Canada, each country has different authorities to certify documents. A notary public may be able to certify your documents, but you should check with your local authorities to be sure.

You and your family members cannot certify copies of your documents. In this case, family member means your: What you mean in this case and that case? Parents are EITHER Family or NOT family! DONE!

• parent
  • guardian
  • sibling
  • spouse
  • common-law partner
  • conjugal partner
  • grandparent
  • child
  • aunt
  • uncle
  • niece
  • nephew