+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2021 - pre-lottery preparation

wishall

Jul 24, 2021
I submitted Interest to Sponsor in 2020 for my parent but didn't make the cut, hopeful it happens this year. In anticipation, doing a bit of advance preparation and could benefit from clarity on the following -

1) My parent is planning on obtaining Upfront Medical and PCC in advance, in the coming weeks. Both don't seem to require an IRCC letter and are listed as Supporting Docs that IRCC is highly likely to ask for. Does that make sense? Is there any other document of this nature that could be obtained in advance?

2) If selected,
- Do I have to be physically present in Canada when the online application is ready to be submitted or doesn't matter?
- Can my parent visit me in Canada at the time of online application submission or is being outside Canada a requirement?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) Translation
2) You need to be physically living in Canada when selected. Yes, your parent can visit Canada.

Reactions: wishall

wishall

Jul 24, 2021
1) Translation
2) You need to be physically living in Canada when selected. Yes, your parent can visit Canada.
Thanks. For (2), I live in Canada but am currently travelling with the return trip planned in November. Looks like I will need to move that to before September 20th when the lottery draw is scheduled to start?

Last edited:

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Thanks. For (2), I live in Canada but am currently travelling with the return trip planned in November. Looks like I will need to move that to before September 20th when the lottery draw is scheduled to start?
Both medical certificate and police cleanrace have expiry time, just make sure they are not more than 6 months for PCC, if I remember correctly
You must be Canadian or Permanent resident who primarily reside in Canada in order to sponsor your parents. If you are just on a travel trip outside of country, that is not a problem (provided that you would go back to live in Canada as usual). When the lottery start on September 20, 2021, just wait until you are selected. Once you are selected, IRCC will give you sometimes to gather the required documents and then submit those docs. So, if you can arrange everything according to IRCC while you are outside of the country, such as your signature on the application, sending the application to pre-define Canadian address, then you might not need to be physically present for that time...

• Love

wishall

Jul 24, 2021
Both medical certificate and police cleanrace have expiry time, just make sure they are not more than 6 months for PCC, if I remember correctly
You must be Canadian or Permanent resident who primarily reside in Canada in order to sponsor your parents. If you are just on a travel trip outside of country, that is not a problem (provided that you would go back to live in Canada as usual). When the lottery start on September 20, 2021, just wait until you are selected. Once you are selected, IRCC will give you sometimes to gather the required documents and then submit those docs. So, if you can arrange everything according to IRCC while you are outside of the country, such as your signature on the application, sending the application to pre-define Canadian address, then you might not need to be physically present for that time...
This was quite helpful, thanks a lot! If selected, can my parent submit PGP documents online from Canada or is continuous physical presence in home country (India) necessary during and after submission?

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
This was quite helpful, thanks a lot! If selected, can my parent submit PGP documents online from Canada or is continuous physical presence in home country (India) necessary during and after submission?
In the previous years, the application was based on papers. There are 2 steps: 1/ You apply to become sponsor and 2/ Your parents apply to become PR.
Your parents do not need to be presented in Canada during these processes. However, they have to sign the hard-copy of the application and send those papers back to you. The official application must have your parent's signatures. I have read somewhere in this forum that, someone could sign and send the "Scanned" copy of the documents but I am not sure if I read it correctly...
This year, they may change to online application and we have no idea how that is implemented...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long have you actually been out of Canada this year? Have you been employed in Canada during this time? There is really no need to do all this preparation Don’t believe an upfront medical is an option. Not sure why anyone would want their parents entering a medical facility unnecessarily especially in some countries given potential covid exposure.

wishall

Jul 24, 2021
How long have you actually been out of Canada this year? Have you been employed in Canada during this time? There is really no need to do all this preparation Don’t believe an upfront medical is an option. Not sure why anyone would want their parents entering a medical facility unnecessarily especially in some countries given potential covid exposure.
~6 months. Yes. Valid concern. Ideally, I would want my mother to travel back with me to Canada in late October/November timeframe and if selected in the the PGP lottery this year, obtain her eMedical and submit her application online from there itself. Not sure of the feasibility of this path/option, hence thought of advance preparation and travel.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
~6 months. Yes. Valid concern. Ideally, I would want my mother to travel back with me to Canada in late October/November timeframe and if selected in the the PGP lottery this year, obtain her eMedical and submit her application online from there itself. Not sure of the feasibility of this path/option, hence thought of advance preparation and travel.
Unless they added new process to submit application online PGP is paper based. eMedical is fine.

Your mother can travel to Canada with you if she has TRV or eTA (visa exempted passport) .

• Love

wishall

Jul 24, 2021
Unless they added new process to submit application online PGP is paper based. eMedical is fine.

Your mother can travel to Canada with you if she has TRV or eTA (visa exempted passport) .
Interesting, this might change my planning! Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you been working in Canada this whole time? If you have already been out of Canada for 6 months will you be a Canadian tax resident. You need to keep meeting LICO and you need to be a Canadian tax resident.

wishall

Jul 24, 2021
Have you been working in Canada this whole time? If you have already been out of Canada for 6 months will you be a Canadian tax resident. You need to keep meeting LICO and you need to be a Canadian tax resident.
Yes, working remotely due to ongoing travel ban/restrictions. Yes, cross-checked with my accountant. Ok.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, working remotely due to ongoing travel ban/restrictions. Yes, cross-checked with my accountant. Ok.
The whole point of the program is family reunification so the fact that you have been living abroad for so long could be an issue. If you have already been in India for around 6 months that means you could end up spending 8+ months out of Canada this year.

wishall

Jul 24, 2021
The whole point of the program is family reunification so the fact that you have been living abroad for so long could be an issue. If you have already been in India for around 6 months that means you could end up spending 8+ months out of Canada this year.
True, but I have had to remain outside Canada due to unforeseen and ongoing travel ban between Canada and India, not voluntarily as such. If that does come up as an issue, my guess is that IRCC would duly account for it provided I give satisfactory evidence.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
True, but I have had to remain outside Canada due to unforeseen and ongoing travel ban between Canada and India, not voluntarily as such. If that does come up as an issue, my guess is that IRCC would duly account for it provided I give satisfactory evidence.
Many people from India continue to arrive in Canada. If you have been outside for 6 months already you travelled before the ban.