28-12-2011
Nomination.....
09-2011
AOR Received.
01-03-2012
Med's Request
01-03-2012
Med's Done....
09-03-2012. Ecas: "in process" since 10th May. and We have received your Medical.
Passport Req..
30 August 2012
VISA ISSUED...
18th September 2012--COPR
LANDED..........
23rd September 2012
It is all related. The hospitals are now full and wait listed are substantially worse than they used to be and it is now clear to all Canadians that longterm care is underfunded so rushing to add more seniors to ad to the list is not a huge priority.
I am not Sure why Canuck 78 is following this group? He is naturally against immigration of parents and keep on giving negative comments. We all do realise their is covid pandemic and understand things are difficult. We are just sharing our thoughts and feelings in this forum and I am not sure why you are so interested in reading our comments and reply?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There are upsides and downsides to both the US and Canadian parent sponsorship programs as it relates to having your parents live with you long term. The pro in the US (as others have mentioned) is that it's much easier to sponsor your parents. The con is that it's generally extremely expensive to get medical coverage for them once they arrive in the US which creates a barrier for many in bringing their parents to the US long-term. The US also does not allow dependents to be included - they have to be sponsored later and separately. The pro of the Canadian program is that parents qualify for the health care once they become PRs (and minor dependents can be included). The con is of course the fact that only a limited number of spots are available each year.

Anyway, that's off topic. Good luck to everyone in the draw and hope you hear something soon (ideally before the holidays although time is starting to run short).

Reactions: nayr69sg

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am not Sure why Canuck 78 is following this group? He is naturally against immigration of parents and keep on giving negative comments. We all do realise their is covid pandemic and understand things are difficult. We are just sharing our thoughts and feelings in this forum and I am not sure why you are so interested in reading our comments and reply?
I provide information as well as my opinions just like others. Not a man either. The PGP and whether it is feasible is an important topic especially as the Canadian population ages.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are upsides and downsides to both the US and Canadian parent sponsorship programs as it relates to having your parents live with you long term. The pro in the US (as others have mentioned) is that it's much easier to sponsor your parents. The con is that it's generally extremely expensive to get medical coverage for them once they arrive in the US which creates a barrier for many in bringing their parents to the US long-term. The US also does not allow dependents to be included - they have to be sponsored later and separately. The pro of the Canadian program is that parents qualify for the health care once they become PRs (and minor dependents can be included). The con is of course the fact that only a limited number of spots are available each year.

Anyway, that's off topic. Good luck to everyone in the draw and hope you hear something soon (ideally before the holidays although time is starting to run short).
Believe someone included a response from Mendocino that the draw was moved to early 2021.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanos007

Star Member
Nov 29, 2020
Seems like it was just a PR stunt. And now the urgency around Christmas New Years so people don’t gather along so they can shut everything down. In turn get more funding from WHO. it’s just all over the place. Ps. This lottery system is just annoying. Think about a Canadian citizen who has been in Canada for more than a decade not able to get his parents in lottery random selection for 3 years. They need to device a good sound process. The system is so broken and it’s so pathetic that they don’t seem to be even care about it. Oh well. This is life.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seems like it was just a PR stunt. And now the urgency around Christmas New Years so people don’t gather along so they can shut everything down. In turn get more funding from WHO. it’s just all over the place. Ps. This lottery system is just annoying. Think about a Canadian citizen who has been in Canada for more than a decade not able to get his parents in lottery random selection for 3 years. They need to device a good sound process. The system is so broken and it’s so pathetic that they don’t seem to be even care about it. Oh well. This is life.
I do actually thing they were in the process of changing how to determine who qualifies for PGP and then covid hit. I've been suggesting that time in Canada or working in Canada should factor in to who gets selected. This is viewed as more of a compassionate program because most parents never work or pay taxes so there isn't much of an appetite to complicate the application process so it takes a lot more resources to process and verify the information. In my opinion if there wasn't a huge risk of an election next year PGP2020 would have been cancelled. I assume there was a last minute announcement that the program was opening in 2 weeks because it was a last minute decision and the Liberal MPs had been pushing to open the program knowing they may be campaigning next year. My theory is that because this was last minute and they wanted to keep things easy they brought back the lottery. Given covid, the demands on healthcare, the economy and the impacts on immigration processing it would have been justified to focus on processing applications like spousal sponsorship, skilled migration/WP and international students due to the economic benefit. The whole PGP program makes no economic sense but it is a program that is obviously a very big issue with the "immigrant vote" which every party competes for. It also involves the federal government making promises but it will fall on provinces to pay for the healthcare and services that the seniors will use. If there is an election expect the Liberal party to emphasize that they have raised the yearly quota versus Harper in areas where there are many immigrants . That is one of the reasons the 30K spots for 2021 keeps on being announced. The PGP program involves so much political strategy and fighting between the federal government and the provinces behind closed doors under the umbrella of things like transfer payments and healthcare costs. Many provinces have huge debt loads with every increasing costs and one of the biggest costs is healthcare.

What seems like an innocent compassionate program to reunite families is much more politically complex.

Reactions: Dainik

DarKW

Oct 15, 2020
[/QUO

Seems like i am not the only one in this boat. I have applied for my mother 5 times now (since the rules changed under Liberal govt and they started asking for 3 years tax returns) and i have had ZERO success. First time was paper based i believe it was in 2016 and since then NO luck. I have been citizen as well almost 8 years now...... Atleast under the Conservative government we were able to get the application in.. Yes the processing times were long but at least you knew after 5-7 years your application would be processed here its been a mess since beginning they must give priority to citizens and add in the age of parents as well in criteria while choosing which applications to process first so they do not over burden the healthcare system during pandemic....

DarKW

Oct 15, 2020
I do actually thing they were in the process of changing how to determine who qualifies for PGP and then covid hit. I've been suggesting that time in Canada or working in Canada should factor in to who gets selected. This is viewed as more of a compassionate program because most parents never work or pay taxes so there isn't much of an appetite to complicate the application process so it takes a lot more resources to process and verify the information. In my opinion if there wasn't a huge risk of an election next year PGP2020 would have been cancelled. I assume there was a last minute announcement that the program was opening in 2 weeks because it was a last minute decision and the Liberal MPs had been pushing to open the program knowing they may be campaigning next year. My theory is that because this was last minute and they wanted to keep things easy they brought back the lottery. Given covid, the demands on healthcare, the economy and the impacts on immigration processing it would have been justified to focus on processing applications like spousal sponsorship, skilled migration/WP and international students due to the economic benefit. The whole PGP program makes no economic sense but it is a program that is obviously a very big issue with the "immigrant vote" which every party competes for. It also involves the federal government making promises but it will fall on provinces to pay for the healthcare and services that the seniors will use. If there is an election expect the Liberal party to emphasize that they have raised the yearly quota versus Harper in areas where there are many immigrants . That is one of the reasons the 30K spots for 2021 keeps on being announced. The PGP program involves so much political strategy and fighting between the federal government and the provinces behind closed doors under the umbrella of things like transfer payments and healthcare costs. Many provinces have huge debt loads with every increasing costs and one of the biggest costs is healthcare.

What seems like an innocent compassionate program to reunite families is much more politically complex.
The pgp visa definitely needs to b revamped i mean put in criterias give priority to citizens, maybe expedite those cases where the parents are younger not all parents are in same boat. My mother is healthy 54 year old US citizen who is managing a gas station in Humble, TX. I have been trying to bring her over for last 5 years now and it has been a mess. Not sure why there will be elections in 2021 I am sure there are better things conservative government can do other than passing a motion of no confidence during a pandemic. I work at a hospital and have been since 2013 as an immigrant myself i have paid a LOT of money in taxes and a huge chunk of it goes to provincial govt as well, so if i can pay those taxes for someone elses parents healthcare i mean why can it not be used for my parents? I still remember back in 2010-11 anyone could just send in their application and it would take 5-7 years for it to get processed i mean i wish i was in a position to apply then because since liberal government came it has been a huge mess with no assurity even after applying 5 times that i will get selected........

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
The pgp visa definitely needs to b revamped i mean put in criterias give priority to citizens, maybe expedite those cases where the parents are younger not all parents are in same boat. My mother is healthy 54 year old US citizen who is managing a gas station in Humble, TX. I have been trying to bring her over for last 5 years now and it has been a mess. Not sure why there will be elections in 2021 I am sure there are better things conservative government can do other than passing a motion of no confidence during a pandemic. I work at a hospital and have been since 2013 as an immigrant myself i have paid a LOT of money in taxes and a huge chunk of it goes to provincial govt as well, so if i can pay those taxes for someone elses parents healthcare i mean why can it not be used for my parents? I still remember back in 2010-11 anyone could just send in their application and it would take 5-7 years for it to get processed i mean i wish i was in a position to apply then because since liberal government came it has been a huge mess with no assurity even after applying 5 times that i will get selected........
Are you a doctor?

Best chance was 2019 when they had the FIFO. I am glad I got that one. I had a good lawyer friend help me with that.

At least with FIFO professional help can play a part.

With lottery......I doubt anybody is really happy about it. Lots to complain but cant sue anyone for doing anything wrong and biased.

I have said that making PGP a lottery trivializes it. Makes it into NHL draft pick. A game.

That's not how I want my parents to be chosen.

There should be some form of merit. But I guess nobody likes to be told they just weren't better enough.

That's the world we live in now unfortunately.

DarKW

Oct 15, 2020
Are you a doctor?

Best chance was 2019 when they had the FIFO. I am glad I got that one. I had a good lawyer friend help me with that.

At least with FIFO professional help can play a part.

With lottery......I doubt anybody is really happy about it. Lots to complain but cant sue anyone for doing anything wrong and biased.

I have said that making PGP a lottery trivializes it. Makes it into NHL draft pick. A game.

That's not how I want my parents to be chosen.

There should be some form of merit. But I guess nobody likes to be told they just weren't better enough.

That's the world we live in now unfortunately.
No I am not a doctor @nayr69sg i work in lab as technologist. Very lucky for u i would say i wasn't that lucky i took a day off to apply and it took me maybe 10 minutes to fill the form and it was closed already. I am going to write on their FB and Twitter page if i dont get selected this time to come up with a proper criteria next year if i am not selected. Give citizens priority. If age is an issue prioritize parents who are still able to work. If their healthcare is such a big issue maybe they can have their own insurance till they can get 65 just like how it is in US. Tbh i can buy my parents insurance for couple grands a year that is not an issue but please dont leave us in limbo like that...............

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Because everyone pays taxes into a pool , for EVERYONE who needs to access the healthcare system, that’s the way the Canadian system is set up .
It’s not set up like the American system where individuals only think about themselves.
It’s tor the collective good for everyone.
And when you’re referring to individuals having health insurance to cover their needs till they are 65, you know that’s against the Canada Health Act aka the law right ?
Like against the law. You’ve been here for quite awhile , so I assumed you’d have been aware of that , that you’re a citizen , and you pay lots of taxes
So because you haven’t been picked to bring your parents here, you want the Government to change the law governing how healthcare is provided to Canadians so that it fits your situation? Seriously? Or was that in jest ?
And there was NEVER a guarantee that individuals would be able to sponsor their parents , when they CHOSE to live in Canada . Never

Last edited:
Reactions: Cin1906

DarKW

Oct 15, 2020
Because everyone pays taxes into a pool , for EVERYONE who needs to access the healthcare system, that’s the way the Canadian system is set up .
It’s not set up like the American system where individuals only think about themselves.
It’s tor the collective good for everyone.
And when you’re referring to individuals having health insurance to cover their needs till they are 65, you know that’s against the Canada Health Act aka the law right ?
Like against the law. You’ve been here for quite awhile , so I assumed you’d have been aware of that , that you’re a citizen , and you pay lots of taxes
So because you haven’t been picked to bring your parents here, you want the Government to change the law governing how healthcare is provided to Canadians so that it fits your situation? Seriously? Or was that in jest ?
And there was NEVER a guarantee that individuals would be able to sponsor their parents , when they CHOSE to live in Canada . Never
I know how the system is set up. And how all the medically necssary health services are free under the Canda Health Act. I am sure you have heard about a 2 tier system as well where people are willing to buy their own insurance. If healthcare is such a big problem then why not have a 2 tier system? I people have long debated about it and people who can afford it will they will like to have their surgeries done right away rather than waiting for 6-8 months and sometimes up to a year. Anyways that is really off topic defintely not a jest all parents here on supervisa have private insurance if healthcare is the only impediment that is causing the government to delay this just state it and let everyone know. Yes it sure was not a guarantee i moved here not her it will be last time i am applying for her i can move back if it is not going to work out. And yes i do pay alot of taxes you will know when you wont see over 1/3rd of your paycheck taken off in taxes, cpp, ei, hoopp, unions and your own insurance for things that Canada Health Act won;t cover

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I know how the system is set up. And how all the medically necssary health services are free under the Canda Health Act. I am sure you have heard about a 2 tier system as well where people are willing to buy their own insurance. If healthcare is such a big problem then why not have a 2 tier system? I people have long debated about it and people who can afford it will they will like to have their surgeries done right away rather than waiting for 6-8 months and sometimes up to a year. Anyways that is really off topic defintely not a jest all parents here on supervisa have private insurance if healthcare is the only impediment that is causing the government to delay this just state it and let everyone know. Yes it sure was not a guarantee i moved here not her it will be last time i am applying for her i can move back if it is not going to work out. And yes i do pay alot of taxes you will know when you wont see over 1/3rd of your paycheck taken off in taxes, cpp, ei, hoopp, unions and your own insurance for things that Canada Health Act won;t cover
Good points.

What's good about Canada then?

I am not in favor of 2 tier healthcare system. It is a sales pitch.

The moment you triage when you treat someone based on their ability to pay a higher amount so you can earn more money then you open pandora's box. Seriously.

Healthcare is one of the things I say should be distributed in a socialist manner.

The rich man suffering from bad bone on bone OA knee is no different from the poor man suffering from bad bone on bone OA knee.

Also remember that when you start this you will begin to pay for more frills which you might not want to. Eg man made waterfalls in the hospital. Concierge services. Gourmet in hospital meals. Cable TV Netflix Disney Plus. Single executive suite rooms. Presidential suites. Express checkouts/discharge. Premium plans. Premiums for special priority responses. Soon that so called 1st tier starts having it's own 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th tiers too.

And then people complain about why the 1st tier is so expensive! Sure the capitalists have swooped in.

And the guys in the 2nd tier will start slamming all healthcare workers as greedy and only want to serve rich people making them poor people wait in queue. And what about the doctors who work in the 2nd tier? People will be suspicious and say they must not be good that's why they stay in the 2nd tier. If they were so good they would go 1st tier. Unfair of course. Unjust as there will be HCWs who believe in fair equal care for all who are very competent. But alas human nature.

And then the 1st tier guys also start complaining why they have to wait at all if they are paying big bucks. There should be absolutely ZERO queue!

It is all expectations. And the expectation from some people is that healthcare is delivered one to one instantly anytime they want it.

Tough meeting those expectations.

I have worked in a country with a so called 2 tier health care system. So I know first hand.

You cant really reverse and control things when you open it up. It is wishful thinking.

Apologies to those of you who dislike posts that digress.

Have a merry xmas and a happy new year! Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cin1906 and DarKW