+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2020

DarKW

Oct 15, 2020
Hey guys! I am new here and i rarely post on forums but i am just curious to know if anyone else is in same boat as me. I have been applying since 2016 and have been unsuccessful. I have been PR for over 10 years and citizen for over 7 years. I applied again this year for my mother which is the 5th time i am applying now. This lottery system is completely flawed in my opinion. How is it fair for someone who has been applying for 5 years and not getting an invitation vs someone who just arrived 5 years ago and is able to sponsor their parents? I just want to know if we have people here who are in similar situation here or am i the only unlucky one here? I applied this year and i do not think i will get picked again if they are just randomly pick numbers....

Reactions: nayr69sg

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
Hey guys! I am new here and i rarely post on forums but i am just curious to know if anyone else is in same boat as me. I have been applying since 2016 and have been unsuccessful. I have been PR for over 10 years and citizen for over 7 years. I applied again this year for my mother which is the 5th time i am applying now. This lottery system is completely flawed in my opinion. How is it fair for someone who has been applying for 5 years and not getting an invitation vs someone who just arrived 5 years ago and is able to sponsor their parents? I just want to know if we have people here who are in similar situation here or am i the only unlucky one here? I applied this year and i do not think i will get picked again if they are just randomly pick numbers....
based on probability of 10% each time, you will need on average 10 years to get picked.

newMember110

Oct 15, 2020

Did you apply for your mother other then lottery visa ?

DarKW

Oct 15, 2020
Did you apply for your mother other then lottery visa ?
Yes the first time i sent was 2016 through courier and it was returned as they already had reached capacity. It has been really tough to say the least. The Harper Gvot stopped taking in new applications for 2 years and then the new liberal govt wanted 3 years work before we could apply and since then it has been a mayhem. I would happily send in my application and wait 5 years to get her here rather than keep applying for another 5 years and be left in limbo every single time. I mean how is it fair that i have a 10% chance while someone else is able to get it on their first time?? @issteven There has to be some kind of fairness to this method i am sure they would have record of who has submitted how many times.

newMember110

Oct 15, 2020
Yes the first time i sent was 2016 through courier and it was returned as they already had reached capacity. It has been really tough to say the least. The Harper Gvot stopped taking in new applications for 2 years and then the new liberal govt wanted 3 years work before we could apply and since then it has been a mayhem. I would happily send in my application and wait 5 years to get her here rather than keep applying for another 5 years and be left in limbo every single time. I mean how is it fair that i have a 10% chance while someone else is able to get it on their first time?? @issteven There has to be some kind of fairness to this method i am sure they would have record of who has submitted how many times.

I am asking did you apply for H&C for your mother if she is alone in her country and can not live on her own ?

alanchocanada

Oct 16, 2020
Hi guys, regarding imm1334 form, there is a question 5 (what is your Fax No.) under Sponsor Contact Information section. Should i leave it blank because i don't have one? However, it also says "Complete all sections. If a section does not apply to you, write "Not Applicable" or "N/A". If information or forms and documents are missing, your entire PGP application will be returned to you."
appreciated.

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
I know some of the people who have waited for more than 6 years still cannot sponsor their parents. I know someone whose parent could not wait that long... so, you are not alone in this process.
Before the COVID-19, lots of us on this forum was speculating that IRCC may use additional criteria such as the time a potential sponsor spent in Canada to prioritize the sponsorship... Turn out none ever happened.
And to be honest, between the typing race (first-in-first-served) and the lottery, I prefer the lottery because at least, everyone who want to sponsor their parents would get somehow fair chance to express their interest.
But no system is a "fair" system right now...
And, mind you, PGP is not a high priority on the list of immigration

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I know some of the people who have waited for more than 6 years still cannot sponsor their parents. I know someone whose parent could not wait that long... so, you are not alone in this process.
Before the COVID-19, lots of us on this forum was speculating that IRCC may use additional criteria such as the time a potential sponsor spent in Canada to prioritize the sponsorship... Turn out none ever happened.
And to be honest, between the typing race (first-in-first-served) and the lottery, I prefer the lottery because at least, everyone who want to sponsor their parents would get somehow fair chance to express their interest.
But no system is a "fair" system right now...
And, mind you, PGP is not a high priority on the list of immigration
This obsession with having to be "fair".

Did we as immigrants come to Canada on a lottery system? Like the Green Card Lottery in USA?

I disagree that the lottery system is "fair". What it does is that it trivializes the PGP program. These are parents of existing immigrants living in Canada wanting to be reunited with their families. Leaving it to chance and random selection is a slap in the face of hard working and motivated families who have settled in Canada by merit.

I see no reason why the right to sponsor their parents cannot be distributed using an assessment of merit than a totally random lottery.

If anyone were to go for a job interview and be told that applicants are chosen by a lottery so as to be fair - would you agree?

If people looking to get medical treatment at the hospital were told that candidates who need surgery would be picked using a lottery so as to be fair - would you agree?

If landlords were told that they would have to run lotteries to decide which tenant they can rent to - would you say that is fair?

I can't imagine a world where important resources were distributed using a lottery system. And important decisions were made using the roll of a dice.

Lotteries are games. Lotto 649. Lotto Max. NHL draft lottery. NBA draft lottery.

Is PGP a game? Looks like it is and many agree and want it to be so.

Last edited:

krs

Star Member
May 8, 2014
As long as your available income is more than the MNI, you are fine. I think any unemployed EI benefit (other than special benefits) should be deducted from your total income ( NOA-line 150). The attached CIC form explains in detail. Expert advise please.

Thank you. I called ircc. This information is accurate. They will consider net income ( total income - EI). Applying or receiving EI will not impact my sponsorship application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.