+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2020

Sankar39

Oct 9, 2020
Hi,
I am planning to apply for PGP 2020. My income in last 3 years (2018, 2019, 2020) is sufficient, however IRCC site says that the income must remain sufficient for the period between date of application and arrival of parents. In order to increase the possibility of income of sponsor/s stays sufficient in that period I wish to include my husband as cosponsor, however he is having Canadian income only for 2019 and 2020 as he landed in early 2019. But he has US income in 2018. Incidentally my husband was also sponsored by me. My worry is that if I include my husband as cosponsor then IRCC may reject my application on the ground that cosponsor did not have Canadian income in 2018, as it is mentioned in form and guide that cosponsor must meet he same requirements as sponsor though it is not clear to me if "all requiremnts" include the requirement of income independently or jointly. Just to say it again, on the one hand, if I sponsor alone I take the risk of losing entitlement to sponsor if my income falls short of requirement in the period between application and arrival of parents on the other hand If I include my husband as cosponsor then IRCC may reject the complete application as my husband does not have Canadian income in 2018. I would appreciate if someone could please advise if it is required for my husband to have Canadian income in 2018 to be a cosponsor.

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Hi,
I am planning to apply for PGP 2020. My income in last 3 years (2018, 2019, 2020) is sufficient, however IRCC site says that the income must remain sufficient for the period between date of application and arrival of parents. In order to increase the possibility of income of sponsor/s stays sufficient in that period I wish to include my husband as cosponsor, however he is having Canadian income only for 2019 and 2020 as he landed in early 2019. But he has US income in 2018. Incidentally my husband was also sponsored by me. My worry is that if I include my husband as cosponsor then IRCC may reject my application on the ground that cosponsor did not have Canadian income in 2018, as it is mentioned in form and guide that cosponsor must meet he same requirements as sponsor though it is not clear to me if "all requiremnts" include the requirement of income independently or jointly. Just to say it again, on the one hand, if I sponsor alone I take the risk of losing entitlement to sponsor if my income falls short of requirement in the period between application and arrival of parents on the other hand If I include my husband as cosponsor then IRCC may reject the complete application as my husband does not have Canadian income in 2018. I would appreciate if someone could please advise if it is required for my husband to have Canadian income in 2018 to be a cosponsor.
1/ Required income is only accepted according to line 150 of the NOA, Canada. All other income are not relevant such as US income, world's income, etc...
2/ The income requirement is referred to as "total household income" so it doesn't matter if your husband's income is only from 2019 or 2020. In your case, the "total household income" for 2018 was just from you. Then from 2019 and 2020, it would be yours + your husband's one. That's simple like that
3/ IRCC reserve the right to check your situation during the sponsorship's period. This is somehow tricky but just to make sure, you and your husband should have sufficient income for the entire period of the sponsorship
Hope this helps

Reactions: nayr69sg

frisbee2017

Star Member
May 23, 2017
Hey guys, my current family size is 4 (including my mother who I’d like to sponsor). I was single in 2018. For income cutoff, should I be looking at family size 1 or 4?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey guys, my current family size is 4 (including my mother who I’d like to sponsor). I was single in 2018. For income cutoff, should I be looking at family size 1 or 4?
Four - assuming you have also included yourself in this count.

Sankar39

Oct 9, 2020
1/ Required income is only accepted according to line 150 of the NOA, Canada. All other income are not relevant such as US income, world's income, etc...
2/ The income requirement is referred to as "total household income" so it doesn't matter if your husband's income is only from 2019 or 2020. In your case, the "total household income" for 2018 was just from you. Then from 2019 and 2020, it would be yours + your husband's one. That's simple like that
3/ IRCC reserve the right to check your situation during the sponsorship's period. This is somehow tricky but just to make sure, you and your husband should have sufficient income for the entire period of the sponsorship
Hope this helps
Hi babybenz,
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

AA) Just to make sure that I have understood it correctly, your answer is that husband can be included as a cosponsor in this case without risking rejection by IRCC on the ground that he does not have Canadian income in 2018. Please confirm if it is the correct understanding.

BB) I am quoting below a section of MNI requirement for sponsoring parents and grandparents from 2019 guide below "The regulations also require that you, as the sponsor (and co-signer if applicable) provide the required Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) issued documentation to prove that you meet the Minimum Necessary Income for the 3 years preceding the submission of your application. " [bolding is by me]. So your interpretation is that the word you here means the total household income and not individual (sponsor and cosponsor) income severally. Am I correct in this thinking?

CC) In addition could you please let me know whether your interpretation is based on an IRCC document and/or your general understanding as a knowledgeable person. Please do not misunderstand me for asking this question. I have full faith on your opinion as you are a Hero Member. I am just trying to clear my thinking.

Once agin my heartfelt thanks. Take care and God bless.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
In 2018, your family size is 2 (incl you and your mother provided you were single and had no kid/s in 2018). Please refer the link below and see the examples to understand how to calculate the family size.
How do I calculate my family size to sponsor my parents and grandparents?
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1460&top=14

Reactions: frisbee2017

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
hello fellow forum members,

I have a question. My parents are here on a supervisa and it is flu season. Last year we went to a walk-in clinic and paid 40 dollars and got them a flu shot. For this year the clinic is saying they wont charge any money for the flu shot as the govt is saying OHIP isn't required for flu shots due to COVID situation.

Now i might be over thinking this but I hope IRCC doesn't think my parents used OHIP as super visa holders when they wern't supposed to. Am i over thinking this?

In case you're wondering why this post is relevant to this thread is because I hope to sponsor them for PR eventually

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018
Hi babybenz,
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

AA) Just to make sure that I have understood it correctly, your answer is that husband can be included as a cosponsor in this case without risking rejection by IRCC on the ground that he does not have Canadian income in 2018. Please confirm if it is the correct understanding.

BB) I am quoting below a section of MNI requirement for sponsoring parents and grandparents from 2019 guide below "The regulations also require that you, as the sponsor (and co-signer if applicable) provide the required Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) issued documentation to prove that you meet the Minimum Necessary Income for the 3 years preceding the submission of your application. " [bolding is by me]. So your interpretation is that the word you here means the total household income and not individual (sponsor and cosponsor) income severally. Am I correct in this thinking?

CC) In addition could you please let me know whether your interpretation is based on an IRCC document and/or your general understanding as a knowledgeable person. Please do not misunderstand me for asking this question. I have full faith on your opinion as you are a Hero Member. I am just trying to clear my thinking.

Once agin my heartfelt thanks. Take care and God bless.
AA) No, your husband would have no risk of rejection as co-sponsor. Just make sure his income is the one on the line 150 of his NOA, Canada
BB) The "You" here is collectively term, meaning the main sponsor and the co-sponsor income or, regarded as "total household income"
CC) I have also sponsored my parents and my partner is co-sponsored. We have not been checked but I heard there's case that CRA request income proof again... So, it's better to follow what they request that is to maintain your household level of income during the sponsorship. And it's not my interpretation, it is the written in the rules on the IRCC website
Hope it helps

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
hello fellow forum members,

I have a question. My parents are here on a supervisa and it is flu season. Last year we went to a walk-in clinic and paid 40 dollars and got them a flu shot. For this year the clinic is saying they wont charge any money for the flu shot as the govt is saying OHIP isn't required for flu shots due to COVID situation.

Now i might be over thinking this but I hope IRCC doesn't think my parents used OHIP as super visa holders when they wern't supposed to. Am i over thinking this?

In case you're wondering why this post is relevant to this thread is because I hope to sponsor them for PR eventually
Looks like you should be good

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
No update for instructions guide 2020 yet, strange IICRC is opening sponser interest form without posting the instructions guide!
Hmm wonder if they will get sued again?

It can only mean that they are encouraging as many people to enter the lottery (makes more people happy).

If there is no actual instructions to say who is eligible then everyone should enter the lottery no?

What if the actual rules (that come out eventually) state that for 2020 PGP there are NO INCOME REQUIREMENTS WHATSOEVER?

Reactions: babybenz

babybenz

Jan 26, 2018

It can only mean that they are encouraging as many people to enter the lottery (makes more people happy).

If there is no actual instructions to say who is eligible then everyone should enter the lottery no?

What if the actual rules (that come out eventually) state that for 2020 PGP there are NO INCOME REQUIREMENTS WHATSOEVER?
I like the idea "No Income required" from you....
In fact, this year, 2020 has been a very special year in the past century or more, I personally think Canada Govt should accept ALL application as a gesture of humanity!!!
And then we are all doomed!
But If I die with my family beside, I guess it's all OK
ha ha ha....

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I like the idea "No Income required" from you....
In fact, this year, 2020 has been a very special year in the past century or more, I personally think Canada Govt should accept ALL application as a gesture of humanity!!!
And then we are all doomed!
But If I die with my family beside, I guess it's all OK
ha ha ha....
Yeah who knows right?

Maybe it will be indeed a ONE-OFF special PGP program where Trudeau welcomes all parents and grandparents to Canada. No income required.

In fact in the so called "lottery" they decided to just let everyone and anyone who entered an EOI to be eligible to sponsor!

Woo hoo!

And then those who did not enter thinking they do not qualify and did not want to take another eligible person's spot would be kicking themselves!

So.......I wouldn't advise people on anything if there are absolutely NO RULES at this point in time! LOL!

All I know is.....there has been no penalty for being ineligible and winning the lottery spot. So far. Again maybe this year they might jail those who do that. Who knows?

Strange when there are no rules.........mind goes all over the place.

JagSD11

Jan 11, 2020

I remember reading the guidelines on the IRCC website which has now been taken down. Those rules have already been copied by many agencies

For 2020, the MNI was around $32,270 and they will be considering 2020 incomes as well once the NOA is available at a later stage. But you never know when this changes.

Family MembersMNI
2020*
MNI
MNI
2 persons$32,270$41,007$40,379
3 persons$39,672$50,414$49,641
4 persons$48,167$61,209$60,271
5 persons$54,630$69,422$68,358
6 persons$61,61378,296$77,095
7 persons$68,598$87,171$85,835
Each additional person$6,985$8,875$8,740

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I remember reading the guidelines on the IRCC website which has now been taken down. Those rules have already been copied by many agencies

For 2020, the MNI was around $32,270 and they will be considering 2020 incomes as well once the NOA is available at a later stage. But you never know when this changes.

Family MembersMNI
2020*
MNI
MNI
2 persons$32,270$41,007$40,379
3 persons$39,672$50,414$49,641
4 persons$48,167$61,209$60,271
5 persons$54,630$69,422$68,358
6 persons$61,61378,296$77,095
7 persons$68,598$87,171$85,835
Each additional person$6,985$8,875$8,740
Wow! For the 2020 income requirements it is like 25% lower than for 2019!

Wonder why they took it off? Maybe they want to lower it further. 2020 incomes wont be required?