+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2020

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am legally separated from my spouse since 2019 summer and I don't know about her whereabouts. I am sponsoring my parents without her being a cosigner
Then that's OK. Just fill in as seperated. I think the only thing you need for your ex-spouse (likely the same for seperated spouse) is her brithday and name.

sumitkumaragg

Apr 21, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Spouse visa
App. Filed.......
4th may 2017
AOR Received.
Not yet
Interview........
Hopefully not required.
LANDED..........
God's Mercy
I have a question, my cousin got invitation for his parents and he is filing the forms, he is confused whether he needs to fill IMM 0008DEP) dependant form for his mother as his father is principal applicant.

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I recently got an opportunity to invite my parents to Canada in PGP 2020. However, I have an issue to discuss here. In 2018 my ex-spouse came to Canada and in 2019 she ran away from home taking all our jewelry, car, laptop, electronic gadgets and money from joint account (leaving me with mere $800 in my account). One day when I came from office I found that she took everything and filed an assault charge (common assault one charge CC266) against me. My whole world went upside down as I was not even aware what was coming my way. Later on, through telephone records, chats and google maps history I figured out about her extra-marital affair. My lawyer told me that my case will get dropped in a month or two as we figured out that my ex's family planned all this just to get Canadian residency. The public prosecutor agreed to drop the case as there were enough proofs about her lying about the situation. Basically I will be declared not guilty in this case. But when I got arrested I had to spend a night in police custody when no such thing happened between me and my Ex-spouse. I was bailed out by the court next morning. In 2019 my wife filed a simple divorce case and I am waiting for the final letter from the Judge. We are not claiming anything from each other.

We are legally separated for more than 18 months now and I am not allowed to contact her (directly or indirectly).

My question is since this unfortunate things happened to me. Will that have any impact on my sponsorship for my parents. What should I fill in the form imm5669e. The question is given below.

4) Have you or, if you are the principal applicant, any of your family members listed in your application for Permanent residence in Canada ever:

a)
been convicted of a crime or offence in Canada for which a pardon has not been granted under the Criminal Records Act of Canada?
b) been convicted of, or are you currently charged with, on trial for, or party to crime or offence, or subject of any criminal proceedings in any country.
j) been detained, incarcerated, or put in jail?

Can someone please guide?
What is final outcome of your charge? Already withdrawn or it has been waiting for resolution with the crown or trail is pending?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can I vote for you as Immigration minister please? This is an excellent plan. Everyone else comes to Canada based on merit. I don't see why this program should be different. I know we have to commit to supporting parents, and I look at the low. income cut offs, and wonder how people would do that - they seem very low. Also, self sufficiency of parents should be considered. My parents worked all their lives, have excellent pensions and would be self sufficient. They need nothing from Canada, just want to be here with us and will pay taxes here.
I also feel like the income levels are very low. At thst income level I am not sure how a family would pay the 1k+/month if a parent needed longterm care.

RachelRichard

Star Member
Dec 5, 2015
Reactions: snmathur4

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Been shadowing this thread and quietly reading the exchanges here. I can try and understand both sides of the conversation here.

I moved to Canada in 2017, and didn't have enough of a 3 year history last year for sponsorship. This is my first time sponsoring. I haven't got an invite yet, and TBH I don't expect to receive one as it's already been 3 days since they started inviting.

In my opinion, I think the lottery system is inherently unfair as many keep trying year-after-year with no guarantee of being able to sponsor. Whereas another person can apply just once or twice, and then get invited just by sheer "luck". Now, most of you I think would agree that no modern state can be allocating resources on the basis of just "luck". There has to be a better system in place.

I do believe that something like an EE type system would be the best in this case. It should take into account the following factors -
  1. Age of parents (older parents should be given priority)
  2. Earning of the sponsor (Earning more does mean there's a lower chance of them being dependent on government benefits)
  3. Number of times the sponsor has tied (having a person try repeatedly without success only adds to frustration, and can also lead to them looking at other countries in the long run - Canada will lose precious human capital this way)
  4. Whether they own a property (shows responsibility & whether they can care for their parents)
  5. A pool of potential sponsors should be made this way, and the sponsors keep updating their incomes based on NOAs, which would then adjust their position in the queue. Every year, the Government pulls out the highest ranked candidates based on their scores, and issues them the invitations. The points can be updated in real-time since they have the dates of birth of the parents/grandparents, NOA numbers, and when the profile was created in the sponsorship bank.

This will dilute the inherent unfairness in the lottery system where resources are allocated by "luck" and other factors will begin to play a part; as they should in any fair system.

I also believe that along with the sponsorship forms, a deposit of CAD 600 per person sponsored should be taken to desist people from unfair means. and irresponsibility of blocking positions even though they don't qualify. This deposit should be returned to them if -
  1. They are successfully selected to sponsor, and
  2. On submitting their forms the numbers claimed match with the NOAs deeming them eligible
The above will also encourage two things -
  1. People will be made more truthful to the Government by disclosing all their income, as having a higher number in the NOA would better their chances of getting picked + add more revenue to the CRA (as a business owner, I know the number of people who have approached me offering services, but wanting to get paid in "cash" thereby encouraging a black/unaccounted for earnings which leads to a loss to the exchequer)
  2. Duplicate applications will be discouraged. I know of a couple of people in my friend circle where 3 siblings are living in Canada and all 3 have submitted forms to sponsor their parents. That's thrice the chances of getting picked compared to only a single person applying. (In this case, there would be a CAD 1200 deposit charged from all 3 siblings, and if they get pulled out and don't sponsor blocking other people's ability, they are penalised by forfeiting their deposits)
I don't buy the argument that somehow having a points-based system like EE is unfair to anyone. It in fact encourages meritocracy! And meritocracy is the basis on which modern successful nations are built... not by allocating resources randomly...
Prioritizing older parents will likely make the program more expensive so is unlikely to happen. If anything Canada wants younger parents that can either work or contribute childcare so both parents can work.

Although I think the LICO needs to be raised pretty substantially, expenses that children will be responsible explained in detail and have PGP applicants excluded from any low income senior programs for 20 years, wealth doesn't necessarily mean that children will fund more of the costs. Lots of children earning a high salary apply for all the low income programs for their parents and many are unwilling to do the hard work of caring of parents at home. Many would not want to change diapers, bathe parents, etc. After a certain level of income there isn't a big difference when it comes to the cost of a PGP applicant to the government. You can be wealthy and be unwilling to spend money and not as wealthy but be willing to spend your money so picking the wealthiest candidate doesn't guarantee a lower cost to the government. It would also put business owners at a disadvantage because there would be less incentive to keep money in your business to reinvest in your business and would force people to pay themselves as high a salary as possible.

Things like time in Canada, whether you are a citizen, how many times you have applied for PGP are more likely to be eventually considered. PGP is not a guaranteed program and is assessed every year. The Canadian government should also be stressing that parent sponsorship is not guaranteed since many are under the false impression that it is.

silverduz

Star Member
Sep 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@snmathur4 please add me on the tracker
Country - Philippines
Sponsor Province - Saskatchewan
Interest Sent On - Oct 14 2020
Invitation date - not yet

Reactions: DarKW

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
Do we know the total number of applications received for the PGP program?
I think the Twitter link mentioned this whole week. Let's be hopeful.
We just have one more day left

silverduz

Star Member
Sep 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi im just wondering my confirmation number starts with a number and i check in this forum the ones get an invitation their confirmation number is different and starts with letter. Im getting paranoid now. oh boy. Is there anyone out their the confrimation number starts with a number?

HappyAlto

Feb 25, 2018
Anyone knows how many days this invitation round will be finished?
I got info in the news email from CIC earlier today (subscription) that it will take them 10 days to send out all invitations and that they will invite a bit more than 10K to make sure they reach the 10000 level promised last year.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got info in the news email from CIC earlier today (subscription) that it will take them 10 days to send out all invitations and that they will invite a bit more than 10K to make sure they reach the 10000 level promised last year.
That's not an official source. CICnews is published by an immigration consultant.

Suraksha

Dec 16, 2018
This is like a slow torture for the overwhelming majority who will keep checking but will eventually never receive the invite.

How difficult is it to run a batch job that sends 10,000 emails in a 24 hour period?

I don't think I've ever won anything that relies on chance, so why should this time be any different? The application is for my in-laws and we aren't super desperate, so not that bad for me.
I wish your interest gets picked up in the lottery for a change and your parents-in-law will come and stay with you.