+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2019: Family size decreased in last 3 years

xyz2017

Star Member
Nov 11, 2017
Any sponsors with family size decreased within the past 3 years?

It could be due to;
- divorce
- separation
- death
- dependent turning 23
- valid undertakings period completed
- any other?

Lets discuss here, how to count family size or unit

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

It could be due to;
- divorce
- separation
- death
- dependent turning 23
- any other?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-circumstance.html

There is no mention of a reassessment in the event of family size reduction.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf Sections 5.30 thru 5.34

5.34. Change in circumstances R134(2) allows for a calculation or recalculation of the sponsor's income if it no longer appears to meet the requirement of R133(1)(j) for minimum necessary income. The calculation is based on the 12-month period that precedes the day the officer receives the information indicating that the sponsor may no longer meet the minimum necessary income requirement. Income may only be reassessed downward.

Last edited:

xyz2017

Star Member
Nov 11, 2017
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-circumstance.html

There is no mention of a reassessment in the event of family size reduction.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf Sections 5.30 thru 5.34

5.34. Change in circumstances R134(2) allows for a calculation or recalculation of the sponsor's income if it no longer appears to meet the requirement of R133(1)(j) for minimum necessary income. The calculation is based on the 12-month period that precedes the day the officer receives the information indicating that the sponsor may no longer meet the minimum necessary income requirement. Income may only be reassessed downward.

These are great links zardoz.

5.32. Minimum necessary income requirement: Low-Income Cut-Off levels (LICO)
The sponsor’s income must meet the minimum necessary income requirement, as identified annually by Statistics Canada in LICO levels, to support all members of a sponsor’s own family and all sponsored persons and their family members, including family members listed as non- accompanying

You are right, it appears that reassessment may not happen if family size is reduced during the process (ie, after submission) but isn't 5.32 inclining towards that the calculation is based on the count of members sponsor will be supporting at the time of application (ie, family size at the time of application). ............sponsor’s own family and all sponsored persons and their family members, including family members listed as non- accompanying .............. listed meaning in the 2019 application forms at the time of actual submission.

xyz2017

Star Member
Nov 11, 2017
Another source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html#undertaking

Minimum Necessary Income requirement for sponsors of parents and grandparents
If you are sponsoring a parent or a grandparent, you must meet the minimum necessary income requirement for each of the three taxation years immediately preceding the date of your application. The minimum necessary income requirement is equal to the Low Income Cut-offs (LICOs) plus 30%, taking into account the number of family members for whom you are or will be financially responsible.

newandold

Jan 30, 2017
Very limited info on forum and even on official sources, even agents give opposite replies. The best in such cases is to write a good explanation letter. But I noticed a trend that officers allowed to exclude separated spouses with good explanation. I contacted to a member whose parent was separated and provided an explanation that in home country it is not usual to divorce and they did not have any information about other parent and the officer allowed not to include separated parent in family size

MuhammadTalha

Jun 25, 2018
Hello Guys,
Just a quick question. i sponsored my parents in PGP 2019 program. I have been approved as an sponsor and my parents application is still in process.
I (sponsor) am expecting a baby in some where june 2020 and then my family size is going to be increased.
My question is that do i need to inform IRCC about my family size increase??? although i am already approved as a sponsor and also do i need to maintain
LICO income requirement for newly born family member as well this year?? please advice me.
Thanks..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Guys,
Just a quick question. i sponsored my parents in PGP 2019 program. I have been approved as an sponsor and my parents application is still in process.
I (sponsor) am expecting a baby in some where june 2020 and then my family size is going to be increased.
My question is that do i need to inform IRCC about my family size increase??? although i am already approved as a sponsor and also do i need to maintain
LICO income requirement for newly born family member as well this year?? please advice me.
Thanks..
Yes you need to inform CIC when your baby is born. You may be asked to show that you meet LICO this year. Assume there is a high chance you will have receive PPR before the end of the year.

LucilleJ

Oct 11, 2020

It could be due to;
- divorce
- separation
- death
- dependent turning 23
- any other?

I have the same questions. I filed the uncontested divorce in August 2020, expect to get officially divorced end of Oct. We don't have any kids.
How do I calculate my family size for parents' sponsorship?
Is that 3 (me and my parents) for 2020, 2019, 2018? Do I have to wait for the official divorce paper?

Another question is for 2018 and 2019, do I have to count my husband since we were still married?