+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2018: Parents landing soon, but I just left Canada shortly on a vacation - Does the sponsor need to be in Canada physically during landing?

8thwonder

Sep 25, 2022
Hi everyone!

I'm a Canadian citizen with passport. I sponsored my parents in 2018 under PGP 2018 and they won the lottery. Recently they got their CoPR. I have been living in Canada for about 13 years now. Their CoPR is only valid till December this year. They were given an extension last year during the pandemic.

My financial status were on point, I provided the IRCC with everything they asked, and I had no hiccups during their process except for the delay due to the pandemic.

In the mean time I had a problem in my abdomen and I needed a surgery which I wanted to get done in my home country where there is no wait time and among family members to take care of me if something goes wrong during recovery. I don't have any relatives in Canada, recently broke up from a long term relationship.
I will return to Canada by March next year, I still pay rent for my apartment online and have all my things, car, bank accounts in Canada, but took unpaid vacation days off at work until I return.

My parent's PR visa had been finalized stamped in the passport with their CoPR. I'm just a bit worried if and when they land the CBSA officers will ask where is your daughter, the sponsor? Do I need to be in Canada when they land? They will stay at my apartment when they go there I've given them the keys.

They will soft land and return within a month. Does the CBSA officer really care or ask about where the sponsor is? Do I have to let them know by writing a letter that I am here?
I read a few posts on here that say you need some kind of a letter or letter of intent to return to Canada, but I assume that's during the PR process? My parents PGP application was finalized when I was in Canada in 2020 and they had their CoPR for more than a year and a half now, once it was expired, now it was extended.

Am I worrying too much, can someone explain to me what is the role of the sponsor during the very landing procedure itself? My parents have over 100K in a Canadian bank that I deposited for them when they were visiting me a few years ago. I have over 100K in my bank as well.

I am so worried about this new discovery that I was not aware of. I don't think I can live here, matter of fact I want to go back to Canada asap after the surgery and recovery. Any advice for me?

Ketobaby

Star Member
Feb 2, 2022
Hi everyone!

I'm a Canadian citizen with passport. I sponsored my parents in 2018 under PGP 2018 and they won the lottery. Recently they got their CoPR. I have been living in Canada for about 13 years now. Their CoPR is only valid till December this year. They were given an extension last year during the pandemic.

My financial status were on point, I provided the IRCC with everything they asked, and I had no hiccups during their process except for the delay due to the pandemic.

In the mean time I had a problem in my abdomen and I needed a surgery which I wanted to get done in my home country where there is no wait time and among family members to take care of me if something goes wrong during recovery. I don't have any relatives in Canada, recently broke up from a long term relationship.
I will return to Canada by March next year, I still pay rent for my apartment online and have all my things, car, bank accounts in Canada, but took unpaid vacation days off at work until I return.

My parent's PR visa had been finalized stamped in the passport with their CoPR. I'm just a bit worried if and when they land the CBSA officers will ask where is your daughter, the sponsor? Do I need to be in Canada when they land? They will stay at my apartment when they go there I've given them the keys.

They will soft land and return within a month. Does the CBSA officer really care or ask about where the sponsor is? Do I have to let them know by writing a letter that I am here?
I read a few posts on here that say you need some kind of a letter or letter of intent to return to Canada, but I assume that's during the PR process? My parents PGP application was finalized when I was in Canada in 2020 and they had their CoPR for more than a year and a half now, once it was expired, now it was extended.

Am I worrying too much, can someone explain to me what is the role of the sponsor during the very landing procedure itself? My parents have over 100K in a Canadian bank that I deposited for them when they were visiting me a few years ago. I have over 100K in my bank as well.

I am so worried about this new discovery that I was not aware of. I don't think I can live here, matter of fact I want to go back to Canada asap after the surgery and recovery. Any advice for me?
I think you're a little too worried but understandably. That said, it should not be an issue as long as you are not moving outside Canada. "If/When" they are asked they can be truthful and talk about your surgery. If you're indeed just leaving for surgery then you should be able to provide supporting evidence (return ticket, booked surgery, doctors recommended recovery time etc... Think of anything that will show you're coming back) and make sure they have that with them for "if\when" they ask.

These is no rule that states the sponsor has to be present in Canada at the time of landing. The sponsor has to be residing in Canada, just be careful that you're still in compliance with your PR obligations while you're away, When they land and when you plan on returning.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I think you're a little too worried but understandably. That said, it should not be an issue as long as you are not moving outside Canada. "If/When" they are asked they can be truthful and talk about your surgery. If you're indeed just leaving for surgery then you should be able to provide supporting evidence (return ticket, booked surgery, doctors recommended recovery time etc... Think of anything that will show you're coming back) and make sure they have that with them for "if\when" they ask.

These is no rule that states the sponsor has to be present in Canada at the time of landing. The sponsor has to be residing in Canada, just be careful that you're still in compliance with your PR obligations while you're away, When they land and when you plan on returning.
OP is a Canadian citizen. So he/she doesn't need to fullfill PR obligations.