+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pg work permit extension dependent on passport validity refused while I had ITA + Options to restore status

Ritii

Oct 20, 2020
I did 2 years of studies in Canada and then got 2.5 years of work permit dependent on my passport validity. I then renewed my passport and applied for extension of work permit for the remaining 6 months of duration. I applied by paper application. My initial work permit was issued on Oct 12, 2017. I got a refusal for my work permit on Oct 14, 2020 saying PGWP is only issued once and that my temporary resident visa is only valid till Oct 14, 2020. Also, they gave me 90 days of restoration period.

Meanwhile I gained canadian experience and got ITA on September 30. My first question is that if my experience would be considered for my PR application since now they have rejected my application.

Second, I need help with restoration. What are my options now? If I go by the timeline, my 3 years of pgwp are completed. Do I have any way of restoring my status as a worker except LMIA bcz my employer does not help with that. Third, what would be other options in this case?

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
PGWP is issued for a maximum of 3 years after you graduate from at least a 2 year program. If employer is not willing to help with LMIA, then you have to find an employer to sponsor you.

If you received ITA earlier and passed completeness check before your work permit expired, you could have applied for BOWP. For now apply for a visitor permit so you can remain in the country, while you look for an employer to sponsor your LMIA.

Last edited:

Ritii

Oct 20, 2020
PGWP is issued for a maximum of 3 years after you graduate from at least a 2 year program. If employer is not willing to help with LMIA, then you have to find an employer to sponsor you.

If you received ITA earlier and passed completeness check before your work permit expired, you could have applied for BOWP. For now apply for a visitor permit so you can remain in the country, while you look for an employer to sponsor your LMIA.
[/QUOTE

If I submit my PR documents now and do the completeness check. Is there any way to apply for OWP or BOWP now?

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
If I submit my PR documents now and do the completeness check. Is there any way to apply for OWP or BOWP now?
If I understand correctly, both your WP and TRV were valid until Oct 14, 2020 and therefore they´re expired. If your intention is to stay at Canada, you must restore your TRV status as a visitor right away because you´re out of status in Canada right now.

I don't think you can submit the documents to apply for PR right now from inland Canada without a status or while on implied status once you start your restoration, because in your application you have to state your current residency and legal status and you don't have one right now in Canada. I believe you can only do it from inland Canada once you recover your TRV status, or you could do it from outside Canada if you don't plan to restore your status.

Unfortunately I don't see any way you could get BOWP from your PR application, your only opportunity seems to be a closed WP with LMIA.

Ritii

Oct 20, 2020
Thanks for the detailed information. Although, I was trying to look for any official resource that would state that you cannot submit your documents if after ITA you lose your status in Canada. Is there any specific resource for that if you’d know?
And if I manage to get LMIA, I can go for restore status as a worker if I understand it correctly right?

Ritii

Oct 20, 2020
For those who are looking for answers, I called CIC, they said you can submit PR documents in restore period but you’d need to have a status at the time decision is made by the officers on your PR. So, can go for restore options.