+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PFL - Spousal Inland

SlyFawkes

May 13, 2018
Hello all,

My wife (American) and I were married on January 1, 2018. She came up to Canada 5 days after that and we’ve been living together since. We filed our inland application and it was accepted in March 2018, and she received her OWP in August 2018.

Things have been running smoothly overall, or so I thought. We got a PFL at the end of January stating that they are not satisfied that we’ve been living together in Canada since the filing of our application. Aside from a few (short) visits together to the States to see both of our families, we’ve been here consistently.

Since receiving the PFL, we’ve sent: our daughter’s birth certificate with both of our names (born April 2018), updated photos including our daughter at various growing stages, our lease extension, a signed letter from our landlord confirming cohabitation (they live above us), copies of my emails to the landlord prior to my wife moving in to gain approval, new car insurance listing my wife as the primary driver of one of our vehicles (insurance is in my name, as are both vehicles), a copy of her Ontario license with our address, her work info screenshots (pay stubs don’t list our address but her employee login does), and a couple bank statements showing her work deposits and that she’s used her card around our city.

Is there anything else I should be adding? I have until the end of February. Most of the results I’ve seen from PFLs are disheartening, and also seem to be mostly focused on partners that submit as conjugal or cohabitating. I’m getting really worried about them splitting our family apart. Help!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hello all,

My wife (American) and I were married on January 1, 2018. She came up to Canada 5 days after that and we’ve been living together since. We filed our inland application and it was accepted in March 2018, and she received her OWP in August 2018.

Things have been running smoothly overall, or so I thought. We got a PFL at the end of January stating that they are not satisfied that we’ve been living together in Canada since the filing of our application. Aside from a few (short) visits together to the States to see both of our families, we’ve been here consistently.

Since receiving the PFL, we’ve sent: our daughter’s birth certificate with both of our names (born April 2018), updated photos including our daughter at various growing stages, our lease extension, a signed letter from our landlord confirming cohabitation (they live above us), copies of my emails to the landlord prior to my wife moving in to gain approval, new car insurance listing my wife as the primary driver of one of our vehicles (insurance is in my name, as are both vehicles), a copy of her Ontario license with our address, her work info screenshots (pay stubs don’t list our address but her employee login does), and a couple bank statements showing her work deposits and that she’s used her card around our city.

Is there anything else I should be adding? I have until the end of February. Most of the results I’ve seen from PFLs are disheartening, and also seem to be mostly focused on partners that submit as conjugal or cohabitating. I’m getting really worried about them splitting our family apart. Help!
We were outland Irish and got a PFL and successfully were approved and landed about 6 weeks later, so it's not all doom and gloom.

How many trips outside of Canada, and how long were they?

Reactions: SlyFawkes

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

You're very short on time to do this, but it would be a good idea to request the records of her entries and exits into Canada and the U.S. as a means of demonstrating that she has been living in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You may also add friends and relatives letter stating that they know your relationships with their signature, address and phone number it will help. God bless on your application and stay focus and positive!
They don't need letters. IRCC is questioning their cohabitation, not the genuineness of their relationship.

SlyFawkes

May 13, 2018
We were outland Irish and got a PFL and successfully were approved and landed about 6 weeks later, so it's not all doom and gloom.

How many trips outside of Canada, and how long were they?
Maybe 3-4? Most just for long weekends, except for Christmas (still less than 2 weeks).
Also, that really helps to ease my worry a bit. Thank you!

SlyFawkes

May 13, 2018
You're very short on time to do this, but it would be a good idea to request the records of her entries and exits into Canada and the U.S. as a means of demonstrating that she has been living in Canada.
I was thinking along those lines as well, but I just checked the website, and it says:

“If you are renewing or applying for a Permanent Resident Card you do not need to request your Traveller History Report from the CBSA. Checking "Yes" on page 3, Question 23 (section E) of the application form allows IRCC to collect the report on your behalf.”

I appreciate the suggestion, though! Thank you.

Last edited:

Calm2019

Jan 31, 2019
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
November 2, 2018
Doc's Request.
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
November 22, 2018
Med's Request
January 21, 2019
Med's Done....
January 29, 2019
Any update on your application?

Calm2019

Jan 31, 2019
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
November 2, 2018
Doc's Request.
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
November 22, 2018
Med's Request
January 21, 2019
Med's Done....
January 29, 2019

Deusemais

Dec 24, 2021
Yes, actually! I just got word this Friday (3/22)- my wife was deemed eligible! I feel so relieved.
Hi SlyFawkes, when you replied to your PFL, did you mention in details all the periods in which your wife exit and re-enter Canada and the reasons why she (or both of you) have been visiting USA? Or you just sent the documents? Did you have help from a lawyer or a professional to answer the PFL, or did you reply yourselves?

Thank you!