civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MofC2014 said:
It was interesting to read the comments from the readers, 80%+ do not support the couple.
Canadians in general do not support immigrants until they become a part of the problem. This is how Conservatives have tried very hard to educate Canadians to stand against newcomers. They don't understand what they are talking about, until they move to another country try to be with their loved ones and be denied very basic rights.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
civic said:
Canadians in general do not support immigrants until they become a part of the problem. This is how Conservatives have tried very hard to educate Canadians to stand against newcomers. They don't understand what they are talking about, until they move to another country try to be with their loved ones and be denied very basic rights.
I don't think this is true at all. If Canadians didn't support immigrants, they would have closed the border a long time ago instead of increasing immigration figures each year.

The particular case of the couple in the referenced article was an anomaly. They got married and she moved to Canada in 2012, but they opted not to apply for any sort of immigration until well over a year later. So, in effect, the wife is not a citizen or a PR, doesn't work and has no health insurance of her own. And yet she expects taxpayers to fund free healthcare for her? Why should we? The baby will automatically qualify for free healthcare as it will be a citizen, but the mother needs to wait for her process to be completed before she should be entitled to any benefits. Sounds perfect reasonable to me.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
I don't think this is true at all. If Canadians didn't support immigrants, they would have closed the border a long time ago instead of increasing immigration figures each year.

The particular case of the couple in the referenced article was an anomaly. They got married and she moved to Canada in 2012, but they opted not to apply for any sort of immigration until well over a year later. So, in effect, the wife is not a citizen or a PR, doesn't work and has no health insurance of her own. And yet she expects taxpayers to fund free healthcare for her? Why should we? The baby will automatically qualify for free healthcare as it will be a citizen, but the mother needs to wait for her process to be completed before she should be entitled to any benefits. Sounds perfect reasonable to me.

If Canadians are very welcoming as the number suggests, they should be aware of the fact that the pregnancy of the woman is due to her having a Canadian husband. The child is Canadian citizen and he should be entitled to safe birth at a hospital.
If Canadians are generous, CIC should give this woman the work permit so she can work, PAY TAXES, get heath coverage by herself and not use any tax dollars paid by any other "generous Canadian", apply for driver license, have a status here.

That s how you should do to claim "Canadians support immigrants"

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
civic said:
If Canadians are very welcoming as the number suggests, they should be aware of the fact that the pregnancy of the woman is due to her having a Canadian husband. The child is Canadian citizen and he should be entitled to safe birth at a hospital.
If Canadians are generous, CIC should give this woman the work permit so she can work, PAY TAXES, get heath coverage by herself and not use any tax dollars paid by any other "generous Canadian", apply for driver license, have a status here.

That s how you should do to claim "Canadians support immigrants"

"Give this woman a work permit"? She arrived in 2012 and stayed here for well over a year (married to a Canadian) before even applying for immigration. To me, it doesn't sound like she is too determined to work or else she would have started this process well in advance and have had her Stage 1 approval by now.

And I disagree that we should be handing out free healthcare to anyone who is married to a Canadian. There are rules that are clearly laid out and should be followed. She was, or should have been, aware of these rules. If this woman had stayed in Peru and applied for outland sponsorship, would you still be arguing that she is deserving of free healthcare? Should we be paying for healthcare of Canadian citizens that reside overseas as well? What's the difference?

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
torontosm said:
And I disagree that we should be handing out free healthcare to anyone who is married to a Canadian. There are rules that are clearly laid out and should be followed. She was, or should have been, aware of these rules. If this woman had stayed in Peru and applied for outland sponsorship, would you still be arguing that she is deserving of free healthcare? Should we be paying for healthcare of Canadian citizens that reside overseas as well? What's the difference?
Very good point. If she applied outland, and came here as visitor should she given an OWP and free healthcare? I think not. Bottom line is some inland applicants come here on visitor status, well planned out, knowing ahead of time they will be applying for inland sponsorship, therefore at entry fromt he get go they are not geniuane visitors to Canada as they never plan to leave.

Those on inland sponsorship that came here to work under FWP, or refugee claimants can continue working throughout their process throughout all stateges on implied status, and as temporary foreign workers they have access to healthcare.

So bottom line is, I agree that all processing should have reasonable wait times but I am against issuing OWP and healthcare to "visitors".

omariewk1

Star Member
Mar 14, 2014
alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
July 20 2015
Interview........
SA March 24th 2016
Passport Req..
DM March 31st 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Landing Date recieved April 6th 2016
LANDED..........
19-04-2016
I have been trying all weekend to sign this petition but all im seeing is error occurred, please try again later. don't know what I am doing wrong because I don't see anything that is indicating to me where I have done something wrong.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
omariewk1 said:
I have been trying all weekend to sign this petition but all im seeing is error occurred, please try again later. don't know what I am doing wrong because I don't see anything that is indicating to me where I have done something wrong.
You can try a different browser (firefox, chrome, etc). We do not have any technical problem with the petition. Maybe it's your Internet. Good luck. and thanks for your supports. You can try to share your story in there if the signing doesnt work.

lellen

Mar 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11 2014
AOR Received.
(SA) August 7 2014
File Transfer...
August 21 2014
Med's Done....
May 29 2014
Passport Req..
December 24 2014
VISA ISSUED...
January 2 2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2015
torontosm said:
She wouldn't need free healthcare if she had a valid work permit, entitled by her application. Then she would be able to work and pay taxes.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
lellen said:
She wouldn't need free healthcare if she had a valid work permit, entitled by her application. Then she would be able to work and pay taxes.
And she would have had an OWP had she applied when she initially got married, rather than deliberately sitting around on a visitor status with no intention to work or pay taxes.

Let's look at the timing of things. The article says that she is "about to have her baby", thereby indicating that she got pregnant somewhere around August of 2013. Coincidentally, this is exactly when she applied for her PR! So, in effect, she had no interest in becoming a PR or going through the process until she decided she needed free healthcare because she was, or was planning to get, pregnant. I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for such cases.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
If the gov't starts giving free healthcare to visitors who are married to Canadian citizens or PR, then what happens to visitors who are not married to either? That is creating a two-tier system. What's next?

If you are a visitor, then it is expected your visit is temporary in nature and that you will make necessary plans to have health coverage through your home country or travel insurance. If you enter as a "visitor" with plans to "live" in Canada, then you take your chances or hope that your sponsor can pay out of pocket.

What exactly is preventing a spouse in Canada on visitor status from applying for a work permit through the normal means - that is, finding an employer who is willing to go through the LMO process? I imagine this can be an argument made by the CIC lawyer in favor of the status quo.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
If the gov't starts giving free healthcare to visitors who are married to Canadian citizens or PR, then what happens to visitors who are not married to either? That is creating a two-tier system. What's next?

If you are a visitor, then it is expected your visit is temporary in nature and that you will make necessary plans to have health coverage through your home country or travel insurance. If you enter as a "visitor" with plans to "live" in Canada, then you take your chances or hope that your sponsor can pay out of pocket.

What exactly is preventing a spouse in Canada on visitor status from applying for a work permit through the normal means - that is, finding an employer who is willing to go through the LMO process? I imagine this can be an argument made by the CIC lawyer in favor of the status quo.
Countries with more tighten rules on immigration than Canada, such as USA, are giving sponsored spouses the Open Work Permit. Do you think USA can't see the problems that Canada sees? Do you think an open work permit would give these ppl something more than a right to work for a limited TEMPORARY period until the PR applications are processed? And while they are entitled to working right, the provinces allow them access to health coverage.
In your mentality, even international students who are here only for school, should not get health coverage because they don't pay taxes. But in reality, foreign students are fully covered too and its been like that for a very long time.

lellen

Mar 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11 2014
AOR Received.
(SA) August 7 2014
File Transfer...
August 21 2014
Med's Done....
May 29 2014
Passport Req..
December 24 2014
VISA ISSUED...
January 2 2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2015
I actually agree with most of what you guys are saying. I think the health care thing is a bit complicated. I wouldn't feel comfortable mooching from the government or from other tax payers, even if I WAS Canadian. I would always always work to pay may way. But that's just me.

However, I think the problem here is not this specific case of someone who waited for the PR or whatever... the problem is what we're all experiencing, the backlogs, the not knowing, etc. I am glad they posted the article, because it at least gets attention.

For me, the most important issue is that we are given the opportunity to find work, with an Open Work Permit. That would help everyone and we would be paying taxes.

SenoritaBella said:
um... have you actually tried to do this? Ever? The LMO process is the worst thing that I've ever had to do in my life!!!! I was very very lucky to have a company that I was working with under a PGWP file an LMO for me when it expired. However, Service Canada is way worse than CIC, they lost my papers, didn't communicate with CIC at all, took forever to respond, etc. My employers ran impatient and swore they would never ever do an LMO again for anyone. And this was before it cost money!! I guess it depends on the profession, but for my profession, I know for a fact that nobody will go through the process of an LMO. Not worth it.

Plus... have you tried looking for a new job these days? Even my Canadian friends who graduated university with me have trouble finding one without experience.

Does that give you a clue as to "what is preventing us"?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:

It's not about giving a `visitor' who marries a Canadian free healthcare. A `deemed resident' is also a person that has submitted a PR application:

(From: http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/426_97)

Deemed residency

2 The following persons are deemed to be residents for the purposes of the definition:

(a) a person admitted to Canada as a student who,

(i) possesses a valid student authorization issued under the Immigration Act (Canada) before its repeal or a study permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada), for a period of 6 or more months,

(ii) continues to retain such valid authorization, and

(iii) meets the criteria under paragraphs (b) and (c) of the definition;

(b) a person admitted to Canada to work who,

(i) possesses a valid employment authorization issued under the Immigration Act (Canada) before its repeal or a work permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada), for a period of 6 or more months,

(ii) continues to retain such valid authorization, and

(iii) meets the criteria under paragraphs (b) and (c) of the definition;

(c) a diplomat accredited to represent another country in Canada who meets the criterion under paragraph (c) of the definition;

(d) a person who

(i) is a spouse or child of a resident if the person has applied for permanent resident status and as long as the application remains active, and

(ii) meets the criteria under paragraphs (b) and (c) of the definition;
---------

So, In BC...a person that HAS submitted an application for PR and the application remains active, IS eligible for healthcare, since they are in fact considered to be a [deemed] resident.

And for those that are unaware, healthcare in BC is NOT free. Even a freeloading spouse or partner of a Canadian has to pay for their healthcare.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Lol... so international students don't work? You are mixing up the two issues. I was an international student, so I believe I can speak more on that. International students are living here temporarily not visiting. Some do have part-time jobs and are paying taxes, and foreign workers are paying taxes.

Visitors are not considered to be "living" here, though they use the status for precisely that purpose in order to be sponsored. Again, you still haven't explained why your spouse can't go for the LMO type process. So no, until they get AIP and eventually an open work permit, I don't believe my tax dollars should pay for health coverage for visitors.

civic said:
Countries with more tighten rules on immigration than Canada, such as USA, are giving sponsored spouses the Open Work Permit. Do you think USA can't see the problems that Canada sees? Do you think an open work permit would give these ppl something more than a right to work for a limited TEMPORARY period until the PR applications are processed? And while they are entitled to working right, the provinces allow them access to health coverage.
In your mentality, even international students who are here only for school, should not get health coverage because they don't pay taxes. But in reality, foreign students are fully covered too and its been like that for a very long time.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
Lol... so international students don't work? You are mixing up the two issues. I was an international student, so I believe I can speak more on that. International students are living here temporarily not visiting. Some do have part-time jobs and are paying taxes, and foreign workers are paying taxes.

Visitors are not considered to be "living" here, though they use the status for precisely that purpose in order to be sponsored. Again, you still haven't explained why your spouse can't go for the LMO type process. So no, until they get AIP and eventually an open work permit, I don't believe my tax dollars should pay for health coverage for visitors.
My dear, International Students who are here to study ESL more than 6 months are also eligible for health coverage. ESL students are not allowed to work. These people are not asking you to pay for their health coverage. They want Open work permit so they can have a status and a right to work so they can contribute to tax system just like you.

you think every tax penny you paid is used very wisely by government and you feel so proud of your contribution? Sorry but nobody asks you to pay for others. You work and pay a fixed amount of income taxes no matter what government uses the income tax for. In Canada, income tax make up a smaller part of the budget compared to corporate tax.

With or without you paying income tax, the system remains the same.