+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Petition to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship

qqbec

Sep 22, 2016
Now it is official. We need to get 500 signatures by May 4, 2017 to have this petition presented in the Parliament.
If you care about sponsoring your parents now in future, please sign it today.

Petition to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
Whereas:
Many people have prepared a Family Reunification Application for submission in 2017 only to be surprised by a sudden change;
No warnings were given which is causing family and financial hardship; and
Lottery system mocks a very serious family issue of reunification.
We, the undersigned, citizens and permanent residents of Canada, call upon the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship to:
1. Repeal the December 2016 change until a more comprehensive plan can be formulated and give people the opportunity to provide feedback about the coming changes;
2. Phase the changes in over the course of a few years, allowing the people who have prepared for 2017 to submit as per usual; and
3. Give previous lottery losers priority in the subsequent years if they do not make it in previous year lottery.

petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-739

(I can't post links)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
There's probably a dozen or so of these online petitions going around for parents sponsorship. In reality, they are useless.

qqbec

Sep 22, 2016
Rob_TO said:
There's probably a dozen or so of these online petitions going around for parents sponsorship. In reality, they are useless.
I agree there are many petition posting websites. However, this one is not just a writing on the wall.

This petition is sponsored by the MP and it WILL GO to a Parliament HEARING only if we get at least 500 signatures.

The Hon. Marwan Tabbara
Kitchener South—Hespeler
Liberal
Ontario

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
You'll (hopefully) just get told the truth in the government response: that a lottery is far fairer than having a designated 48 hour annual submission window where if you live close enough to the office, or can pay someone to stand in line, you have an advantage.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
qqbec said:
I agree there are many petition posting websites. However, this one is not just a writing on the wall.

This petition is sponsored by the MP and it WILL GO to a Parliament HEARING only if we get at least 500 signatures.

The Hon. Marwan Tabbara
Kitchener South—Hespeler
Liberal
Ontario
Doesn't make a difference.

Also the lottery system is already in process. So it's way too late to go back to the old system for 2017.

qqbec

Sep 22, 2016
Bcboundboy said:
You'll (hopefully) just get told the truth in the government response: that a lottery is far fairer than having a designated 48 hour annual submission window where if you live close enough to the office, or can pay someone to stand in line, you have an advantage.
It is worth to try than do nothing merely speculating on the government response. We already went that far and get the MP involved. The petition does need attention. Please sign and share.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
qqbec said:
It is worth to try than do nothing merely speculating on the government response. We already went that far and get the MP involved. The petition does need attention. Please sign and share.
Ummm.... I think my level of sympathy to this is shown in what I said the truth was :) the new system is far fairer than the old one, where people living in Toronto, having a lot of free time, or having lots of money, had a decided advantage. It's a good change. You should be celebrating your equal chances, instead of trying to reinstigate the old system of privilege. Have a coffee, and smile :)

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
qqbec said:

The Hon. Marwan Tabbara
Kitchener South—Hespeler
Liberal
Ontario
Marwan Tabbara is a good guy... he helped us out...

If he's pitching it, I'll sign

BethanyM

May 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2016
Doc's Request.
30-09-2016
AOR Received.
03-06-2016
IELTS Request
SA 19-07-2016
File Transfer...
22-07-2016
Med's Request
Med Status: Passed
Med's Done....
April 2016
Interview........
26-09-2016
Passport Req..
WAITING SOON PLEASE
VISA ISSUED...
SOON I HOPE
LANDED..........
ASAP
I'm not up on the issue.
Why can't parental sponsorships just proceed in queue the same way that Spousal Sponsorships do?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
BethanyM said:
I'm not up on the issue.
Why can't parental sponsorships just proceed in queue the same way that Spousal Sponsorships do?
Too many of them. So they had a "fill the quota day" once a year. The problem there is once its full, people had to wait a year to apply again. And heaven forbid you missed anything or had any paperwork wrong, your spot in the quita would be gone. So they did a wholesale change to a lottery...

I think the idea is to reassess PGP queues and correct the lottery.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
BethanyM said:
I'm not up on the issue.
Massively oversubscribed compared to annual quota.

Last few years, the system opened on a given day, and closed for the year 1-2 days later. That was it for the year. Applications received before then were refused. Applications received after then were refused.

This meant a massive advantage to people who live near Mississauga, or who had a lot of money to pay couriers/professional waiters to stand in the line, and hand deliver the app on the right day.

For this year, it's gone over to a lottery, where people will be invited to apply at random after registering online, and everyone will have an equal chance, wherever they live in Canada, and however much they're prepared to spend on postage/services.

BethanyM

May 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2016
Doc's Request.
30-09-2016
AOR Received.
03-06-2016
IELTS Request
SA 19-07-2016
File Transfer...
22-07-2016
Med's Request
Med Status: Passed
Med's Done....
April 2016
Interview........
26-09-2016
Passport Req..
WAITING SOON PLEASE
VISA ISSUED...
SOON I HOPE
LANDED..........
ASAP
profiler said:
Too many of them. So they had a "fill the quota day" once a year. The problem there is once its full, people had to wait a year to apply again. And heaven forbid you missed anything or had any paperwork wrong, your spot in the quita would be gone. So they did a wholesale change to a lottery...

I think the idea is to reassess PGP queues and correct the lottery.
Lotteries sound so random, and quotas so limiting.
But I can't pretend to know what's best. Every country has to set limits according to what's best for their own country.

I do find all the facets of immigration fascinating, the more I become aware of them.
I've started to wonder if there are courses or other training available to become more knowledgeable
in Canadian Immigration rules and procedures.

bfach

Jan 4, 2017
Cambridge, Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
profiler said:
Marwan Tabbara is a good guy... he helped us out...

If he's pitching it, I'll sign
I presented the petition on the parliament website on December 23rd, 2016... I spoke to Marwan over a phone call and requested he be the sponsor. He is a good guy that is for sure. Please tell everyone you can... I want this to be debated ASAP so changes can be made.

We can make a difference, and this is the correct avenue to do it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
BethanyM said:
I'm not up on the issue.
They can - but then people have to be happy with 10-12 year processing times. People weren't happy with 10-12 year processing times - so the cap was introduced.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
BethanyM said:
I'm not up on the issue.
Short answer is there are no quotas on spousal apps, so they will pump out spousal PRs as fast as the apps are received.

There is though a strict quota on PGP apps, meaning each year only X number of parent PRs are allowed to be issued. So when you have more apps coming in yearly than there are PRs allowed to be issued each year, the backlog starts and would continue increasing until ridiculous levels again.