+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PERMANENT RESIDENT VISA QUESTIONS

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Hi there! I have just received my passport and my permanent visa in it. I have questions regarding this. I applied on my married name cos my husband is sponsoring me but they followed the name in my passport which is my maiden name. Will this affect in my obtaining a permanent visa card? My passport expires in 2013. Should I just renew it now so my married name would be written there? We live in Southern Alberta and we have a baby, so it would be too far to go to Vancouver just to renew my passport. If there are any other options, I would rather do it than going there and spending too much money and with a little baby in tow. We are planning to go to the US in November, so I'm thinking maybe I could just re- enter from Montana cos it's closer here and apply for a US visa at the same time. Can I do that? Is that a good option at all? What will I need if I do re-enter from a port of entry? I was here as a caregiver but got married and my husband sponsored me. Does anybody has an idea what to do on this situation?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you legally change your name to your husbands name? If you did, you must have some kind of document. Take that with you whenever you have to show your passport. If your PR visa has your maiden name, they might register it like that too on the PR card but you can change it later. I would think it would be simpler for you if your passport and PR card carry the same name.

You can land at the border. You do not need a US visa to land at the border. You can leave Canada, tell the US side that you don't want to enter but only came to finish some Canada immigration business and they will turn you around. You arrive back in Canada and land as a PR.

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Yes I changed my name in everything except my passport cos it's due to expire in 2013. Leon, thanx for advising me to apply outland anyway. Got my visa in 4 months. So I'll just enter through Montana next weekend then.

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Do I need to go to a major border? Cos my husband said there's a small border just hour and a half from where we live. Will that do?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you can land anywhere but if you want to make sure before you make the trip, you can call cbsa, see http://cbsa.gc.ca/contact/general-generaux-eng.html

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Just found out that some borders doesn't do immigration stuffs. Thanks for the advise