+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident travel document (PRTD) - Plan to leave Canada after receiving a letter for PR confirmation.

suyogya

Oct 12, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have some questions on obtaining PRTD from India. I recently got a letter via Email from "Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada" which has CoPR document # mentioned on it. This letter also confirms that you can provide a copy of this letter to prove that you are a permanent resident of Canada to apply for benefits and services that you are eligible for and is valid for 1 year till the time I get my PR card.

I am currently in Canada and will be travelling to India end of this month or the starting of February. As mentioned earlier I got PR confirmation letter via e-mail, however, I don't have my PR card yet. I need to obtain the PRTD to fly back to Canada from India. My return would be tentative during May 1st week.

1. Can I leave Canada and proceed to book tickets to India based on this letter that I received from Immigration Canada?
2. What would be the ideal processing time for the PRTD in India and what is the process, where and how I need to apply for PRTD?
3. Can I still apply via email? If yes, how to send the passport and photos?
4. Is a return ticket mandatory while applying for PRTD? If I have one does it increase the possibility of getting it quicker?

Thank you so much. I appreciate your time in reading my post.

Hanataha

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
Hi, I applied PRTD in Abu Dhabi. I'm a UAE resident. I applied in September 2020 and after 1 week I got an approval and they requested for my passport for stamping.
I included a cover letter requesting for multiple entries and they gave me 1 year.
I didn't include flight tickets.
But I mentioned in my cover letter that I was supposed to travel to Canada to renew my PR card in March 2020 (it expired April 2020) and I included my ticket itinerary but due to covid, I had to postpone my trip.