+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) application

the_witcher

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
Dear @the_witcher

I'm also in a similar situation with the only difference that I'm currently stuck in UAE while I'm getting job offers from the employers who insist that I should be in Canada in order to Onboard. It's been about 40 days since we landed. I have my wife and kids settled in Canada. Today when we checked with IRCC's automated phone, we were in shock that the processing time for our cards is 128 days. I have my wife due in Mid September and at any cost, whether it's for the job or not I need to be there for her delivery. If you have applied, can you help me with the process and status?

@scylla, @canuck78, @legalfalcon, @PMM, @Leon, @dankboi.

Can any of the senior members help us with some input?
Why not apply for a PRTD from the UAE itself?

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
I'm not sure I understand you question. I assume you've already applied for the PRTD? I don't know current processing times. Hopefully someone else can comment on that.

PR card processing times have been long for a while now. They fluctuate regularly but are generally on the higher side (like they are now).

If you have a US visa, the other option is to fly to the US and to re-enter Canada through a land border.
Thank you @scylla for your swift response.

I landed in Canada on the 30th of April, settled my wife and son in Canada and I was back in UAE on the 3rd of June to wind up everything here and leave for good. I have been giving interviews remotely and few seem positive. Today one of the potential employers told me that they can wait for me until the end of July or else the position would be passed on to someone else. I was anticipating that my PR card could be arriving by mid of June and be shipped to UAE with which I can join the company. But it seems the PR card would arrive late.

I haven't yet applied for the PRTD so before applying I was to know the following.

Am I eligible to apply for the PRTD?
How long would it generally take to get the PRTD?
Is there a way to expedite the PR card or PRTD?

PS: I do not hold a valid US visa now.

Your input is highly appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you @scylla for your swift response.

I landed in Canada on the 30th of April, settled my wife and son in Canada and I was back in UAE on the 3rd of June to wind up everything here and leave for good. I have been giving interviews remotely and few seem positive. Today one of the potential employers told me that they can wait for me until the end of July or else the position would be passed on to someone else. I was anticipating that my PR card could be arriving by mid of June and be shipped to UAE with which I can join the company. But it seems the PR card would arrive late.

I haven't yet applied for the PRTD so before applying I was to know the following.

Am I eligible to apply for the PRTD?
How long would it generally take to get the PRTD?
Is there a way to expedite the PR card or PRTD?

PS: I do not hold a valid US visa now.

Your input is highly appreciated.
- Yes, you are eligible for a PRTD
- As previously said, I don't know PRTD processing times
- There's no way to expedite the PR card
- You should apply for a PRTD asap

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Why not apply for a PRTD from the UAE itself?
@the_witcher Yes that's what I would be doing first thing tomorrow. I would like to know your experience and current status. Have you applied? And have you got one? Did they provide you with any timeline within which you would be getting the PRTD? I skimmed a few threads which mention delays in the PRTD which again adds to my worries.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
- Yes, you are eligible for a PRTD
- As previously said, I don't know PRTD processing times
- There's no way to expedite the PR card
- You should apply for a PRTD asap
@scylla

Yes, I shall apply tomorrow. Should I submit my passport for the PRTD? Because if there is a delay in receiving the PRTD and just by chance of I receive the PR in meantime would I be able to travel without a passport?

I know my questions may sound odd but I want to assess all the risks and impacts.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla

Yes, I shall apply tomorrow. Should I submit my passport for the PRTD? Because if there is a delay in receiving the PRTD and just by chance of I receive the PR in meantime would I be able to travel without a passport?

I know my questions may sound odd but I want to assess all the risks and impacts.
You need to follow the instructions here and submit all required documents.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

If anything is missing, the you can expect delays or the application to be returned as incomplete.

And no, you can't travel without a passport.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019

the_witcher

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
@the_witcher Yes that's what I would be doing first thing tomorrow. I would like to know your experience and current status. Have you applied? And have you got one? Did they provide you with any timeline within which you would be getting the PRTD? I skimmed a few threads which mention delays in the PRTD which again adds to my worries.
I haven't applied for one yet. But I am leaving for Singapore tomorrow and will have to apply after I arrive. I guess I will have to ask you for your experience.

the_witcher

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
FYI, I applied for my PRTD at the Singapore VFS and was approved in one day. Overall, it took 5 days from when I sent my passport to VFS.

Reactions: Vimalan

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
FYI, I applied for my PRTD at the Singapore VFS and was approved in one day. Overall, it took 5 days from when I sent my passport to VFS.
Hi, @the_witcher Wow that's great. Glad you got it. I didn't go for the PRTD, but just made the payment for the process and have kept it on hold, since the 27th my PR card has been dispatched, and hope within a week or two I might get the card back home in Canada and then it's just 2~3 days to reach UAE. I have my flight booked for the 30th of July. Hope all the timelines should sync. Can I know what were the documents that you submitted in order to get the PRTD? Because here the VFS is no longer proving the PRTD application, we need to do it online and just give the passport with VFS during stamping.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Hi, @the_witcher Wow that's great. Glad you got it. I didn't go for the PRTD, but just made the payment for the process and have kept it on hold, since the 27th my PR card has been dispatched, and hope within a week or two I might get the card back home in Canada and then it's just 2~3 days to reach UAE. I have my flight booked for the 30th of July. Hope all the timelines should sync. Can I know what were the documents that you submitted in order to get the PRTD? Because here the VFS is no longer proving the PRTD application, we need to do it online and just give the passport with VFS during stamping.
A quick update. My PR card has been received at my Canadian address, So now it's just a matter of receiving it in UAE. :)

Reactions: zercool

Haizhen wang

Jul 4, 2022
Hi I been waiting for my prtd so long. Can I just mail my application and the paper to the embassy in London
Anyone can help
Thank you