+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) application

the_witcher

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
I landed in Canada from Singapore without quitting my job so that I have some income while I look for a job in Canada. Now that I got a job, I need to head back to Singapore to resign and serve my notice period. The thing is that I didn't receive my PR card yet so in order to return to Canada, I would need to have PRTD. On the website, it is mentioned that for people who haven't completed their residency obligations, they need to show how they can meet their residency obligations. My wife and son will be in Canada while I am in Singapore and I have a job in Canada that I need to join after I arrive.

My question is how do I show that I can meet the residency obligations. I can't seem to find where to mention any of this information in the application form. I have been in Canada for around 74 days since I landed before I left for Singapore.

Last edited:

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
you donot need to show those information. You just liste the time you spend in canada if you become a permanent resident in less than 5 years which is your case.

Last edited:

the_witcher

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
you donot need to show those information. from the application you just need to fill in the time you stay in different country if you become a permanent resident in less than 5 years which is your case
Since only I am traveling and my family is still in Canada, do I also need to fill in the humanitarian grounds section?

Also what documents can I provide to show my residency status and obligations in Canada since I don't have 5 years worth of documentation in Canada?

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
Since only I am traveling and my family is still in Canada, do I also need to fill in the humanitarian grounds section?

Also what documents can I provide to show my residency status and obligations in Canada since I don't have 5 years worth of documentation in Canada?
this OB is only for people who againt the policy living 2 years of 5 years. Your case is not for it. I do not think you have problem applying the PRTD. Your landing paper should show that you just landed recently.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
I landed in Canada from Singapore without quitting my job so that I have some income while I look for a job in Canada. Now that I got a job, I need to head back to Singapore to resign and serve my notice period. The thing is that I didn't receive my PR card yet so in order to return to Canada, I would need to have PRTD. On the website, it is mentioned that for people who haven't completed their residency obligations, they need to show how they can meet their residency obligations. My wife and son will be in Canada while I am in Singapore and I have a job in Canada that I need to join after I arrive.

My question is how do I show that I can meet the residency obligations. I can't seem to find where to mention any of this information in the application form. I have been in Canada for around 74 days since I landed before I left for Singapore.
Since you have a job in Canada, do you have to travel back to Singapore and serve the notice period? I ask because there is no way to guarantee how long it could take for the PRTD to be processed, even in a very straightforward case as you have.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The thing is that I didn't receive my PR card yet so in order to return to Canada, I would need to have PRTD.
Do you have visa to USA or visa-exempt nationality? If so - no problem. Fly to USA and cross at land border, the COPR will be sufficient for entering Canada.

the_witcher

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
this OB is only for people who againt the policy living 2 years of 5 years. Your case is not for it. I do not think you have problem applying the PRTD. Your landing paper should show that you just landed recently.
Thank you for the reply.

the_witcher

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
Since you have a job in Canada, do you have to travel back to Singapore and serve the notice period? I ask because there is no way to guarantee how long it could take for the PRTD to be processed, even in a very straightforward case as you have.
Unfortunately, I have to. For some reason, my company requires leaving formalities to be done in-person. I understand that there is a risk of not getting my PRTD on time. But I have a question. Do we need to submit our passport along with the application? The document checklist mentions that I need to submit my passport as well. In that case, can the Canadian Embassy withhold my passport indefinitely like this?

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Unfortunately, I have to. For some reason, my company requires leaving formalities to be done in-person. I understand that there is a risk of not getting my PRTD on time. But I have a question. Do we need to submit our passport along with the application? The document checklist mentions that I need to submit my passport as well. In that case, can the Canadian Embassy withhold my passport indefinitely like this?
Unless you signed a contract that somehow requires you to return and spend an unknown amount of time, potentially longer than your notice period, I don’t see the obligation to return for any leaving formalities. What’s the worse that could happen, you lose a reference?

There may be a way to get your passport back from the embassy earlier, without the PRTD, but that would certainly be a risk to evaluate. Given you can’t easily travel through the USA, it seems like a difficult decision.

Last edited:

the_witcher

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
Unless you signed a contract that somehow requires you to return and spend and unknown amount of time, potentially longer than your notice period, I don’t see the obligation to return for any leaving formalities. What’s the worse that could happen, you lose a reference?

There may be a way to get your passport back from the embassy earlier, without the PRTD, but that would certainly be a risk to evaluate. Given you can’t easily travel through the USA, it seems like a difficult decision.
Thank you for the reply. You're right but I am entitled to a bonus which is over 40% of my annual salary. But yeah, you're right. It can be a risk if I have to get my passport back before I get my PRTD. I'll see what I can do about the travel.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019

Dear @the_witcher

I'm also in a similar situation with the only difference that I'm currently stuck in UAE while I'm getting job offers from the employers who insist that I should be in Canada in order to Onboard. It's been about 40 days since we landed. I have my wife and kids settled in Canada. Today when we checked with IRCC's automated phone, we were in shock that the processing time for our cards is 128 days. I have my wife due in Mid September and at any cost, whether it's for the job or not I need to be there for her delivery. If you have applied, can you help me with the process and status?

@scylla, @canuck78, @legalfalcon, @PMM, @Leon, @dankboi.

Can any of the senior members help us with some input?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear @the_witcher

I'm also in a similar situation with the only difference that I'm currently stuck in UAE while I'm getting job offers from the employers who insist that I should be in Canada in order to Onboard. It's been about 40 days since we landed. I have my wife and kids settled in Canada. Today when we checked with IRCC's automated phone, we were in shock that the processing time for our cards is 128 days. I have my wife due in Mid September and at any cost, whether it's for the job or not I need to be there for her delivery. If you have applied, can you help me with the process and status?

@scylla, @canuck78, @legalfalcon, @PMM, @Leon, @dankboi.

Can any of the senior members help us with some input?
I'm not sure I understand you question. I assume you've already applied for the PRTD? I don't know current processing times. Hopefully someone else can comment on that.

PR card processing times have been long for a while now. They fluctuate regularly but are generally on the higher side (like they are now).

If you have a US visa, the other option is to fly to the US and to re-enter Canada through a land border.