+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident To Move To Canada With Non-PR Parents

Xeronator87

Apr 5, 2015
Dear All,

I hope you can help me with this important concern. I am a Permanent Resident of Canada but have not yet settled as I need to fulfill some obligations in my Home base prior moving. With that being said, I am the sole responsible person for my Parents who don't happen to be Permanent Residents and they currently stay with me.

My question: Is there a way by which they can directly accompany me when I move to Canada without having to go there first by myself to find a job and then apply to sponsor them? They really don't have anyone else to take care of them.

Your insightful guidance is very well appreciated and sought after.

Thank You.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, they can try to apply visitor visa to come to visit Canada. If approve, they come and you can extend their stay.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Xeronator87 said:
Dear All,

I hope you can help me with this important concern. I am a Permanent Resident of Canada but have not yet settled as I need to fulfill some obligations in my Home base prior moving. With that being said, I am the sole responsible person for my Parents who don't happen to be Permanent Residents and they currently stay with me.

My question: Is there a way by which they can directly accompany me when I move to Canada without having to go there first by myself to find a job and then apply to sponsor them? They really don't have anyone else to take care of them.

Your insightful guidance is very well appreciated and sought after.

Thank You.
You should be aware that it will take you a minimum of 5 years to sponsor them, and there is no way that they will be able to continue to extend their visit visa for such an extended period of time.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
And don't forget the lack of medical coverage. You will have to arrange insurance for them.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
You should be aware that it will take you a minimum of 5 years to sponsor them, and there is no way that they will be able to continue to extend their visit visa for such an extended period of time.
But OP can return to home country for vacations when parents were unable to extend stay and had to return home.. Who knows, OP might find a job in Canada and later assign in other countries that parents can accompany.

Xeronator87

Apr 5, 2015
torontosm said:
Thanks for your response. When you say 5 years, are you referring to it as the period to acquire citizenship?

Xeronator87

Apr 5, 2015
zardoz said:
And don't forget the lack of medical coverage. You will have to arrange insurance for them.
Thanks for your response. Is it possible to acquire private insurance for non-residents in Canada? If yes, could you please quote a price range or refer me to the appropriate authorities?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Xeronator87 said:
Thanks for your response. When you say 5 years, are you referring to it as the period to acquire citizenship?
No - it's the time period required to meet the minimum income requirements to sponsor your parents (you must provide three years of Canadian tax returns where you meet the minimum income requirement). It could of course take more than five years if you aren't able to find a job in Canada that pays enough to meet the income requirement.

The short answer is that there is no way to bring your parents with you to Canada to live with you. They can apply for a visitor visa to visit you temporarily - however there's no guarantee the visa will be approved and this visa won't allow them to move to Canada - then will only be able to visit and sooner or later will have to return home. It's quite likely you'll have to be separated from them from several years before you will be able to bring them to Canada.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Xeronator87 said:
Thanks for your response. Is it possible to acquire private insurance for non-residents in Canada? If yes, could you please quote a price range or refer me to the appropriate authorities?
Insurance would be via normal insurance companies, not via provincial cover. The costs will vary wildly, depending on the existing health and level of cover required. Maybe start here -> https://www.kanetix.ca/health-insurance

cantn

Star Member
Jul 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
have you looked at parents and grandparents super visa? It allows then to stay in Canada for 2 years. Only obligation on your part is providing proof of health insurance for your parents for a period of at least one year.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
No - it's the time period required to meet the minimum income requirements to sponsor your parents (you must provide three years of Canadian tax returns where you meet the minimum income requirement). It could of course take more than five years if you aren't able to find a job in Canada that pays enough to meet the income requirement.
OP don't even have to depend on his job in Canada if assets at home (or other income sources) makes enough to meet the minimum income requirement for the 3 years of Canadian tax returns.

Xeronator87

Apr 5, 2015
cantn said:
have you looked at parents and grandparents super visa? It allows then to stay in Canada for 2 years. Only obligation on your part is providing proof of health insurance for your parents for a period of at least one year.
Yes I did, but the problem with this Program is that I will have to be separated from them first by coming to Canada, find a Job then apply for them to come. This brings me back to square one. I am trying to look for a practical way to directly take them with me when I relocate.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Xeronator87 said:
Yes I did, but the problem with this Program is that I will have to be separated from them first by coming to Canada, find a Job then apply for them to come. This brings me back to square one. I am trying to look for a practical way to directly take them with me when I relocate.
The simple answer is that you can't take them with you directly when you relocate to Canada to live with you. Only you have PR status and only you are allowed to move.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Xeronator87 said:
Your only option in that case is for them to independently seek access to Canada either as visitors or temporary foreign workers and you travel together. You personally have no available mechanism to "bring" them to Canada at this point. Once both you and they are in Canada, you can investigate other immigration paths for them, if any exist at that time.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
steaky said:
OP don't even have to depend on his job in Canada if assets at home (or other income sources) makes enough to meet the minimum income requirement for the 3 years of Canadian tax returns.
Regardless of where the income is coming from, it's a minimum 4-5 year wait to satisfy the 3 years income requirement, wait for final tax returns, and enter the lottery. If not chosen in the lottery the wait can be much longer, maybe never being selected to apply.

Xeronator87 said:
Regular visitor visa is your only option. If it's accepted, they can come visit you in Canada and try to extend their visitor status as it comes due. Once you get a job meeting LICO, you can apply for supervisa for them for extended stays. As mentioned they'll require emergency medical insurance, and costs for this will vary depending on their age and health. It will probably be at least a couple thousand per year for each of them.

If their TRV is denied, they must stay in home country while you move to Canada. If this is not acceptable to you, then you will really need to re-asses your priorities here - establishing life as PR in Canada or caring for your parents in home country.