walaa

Star Member
Feb 17, 2013
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
24-06-2017
Hello everyone
I’m a permanent resident,, had soft landing and managed to receive my pr card. Currently I’m under 2 years contact outside Canada and if I resigned, I will lose my end of service money. The question is: being outside Canada for 2 years would create any problem when I try to get to Canada later?? Officers in airports might not allow me to enter Canada?? Please guide me
Thank you

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
You should familiarize yourself with residency obligations as part of being a Canadian PR. You only need to spend 2 years of any 5 year period inside Canada to meet your RO, so spending 2 years outside of Canada is not an issue.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=10

How long must I stay in Canada to keep my permanent resident status?
To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days. See can my time abroad count towards my permanent resident status?

To help you track your time in Canada, use a travel journal.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add that as a PR you would always be entitled to enter the country whether you had met the residency obligation or not so no chance that you would be turned away at the border. If you arrive having not met the residency obligation say 3 years or more after your soft landing then you could be reported at the border leading to your PR status being revoked subject to appeal, but still be allowed in whilst appeal in process.

Basically the longer you stay away since your soft landing the more time you need to stay put in Canada to accumulate 2 years out of 5. After initial 5 years you need to show 2 years in the 5 years preceding each new entry.

walaa

Star Member
Feb 17, 2013
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
24-06-2017
Hello everyone
I’m a permanent resident,, had soft landing and managed to receive my pr card. Currently I’m under 2 years contract outside Canada and if I resigned, I will lose my end of service money. The question is: being outside Canada for 2 years would create any problem when I try to get to Canada later?? Officers in airports might not allow me to enter Canada?? Please guide me
Thank you
You should familiarize yourself with residency obligations as part of being a Canadian PR. You only need to spend 2 years of any 5 year period inside Canada to meet your RO, so spending 2 years outside of Canada is not an issue.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=10
thank you

walaa

Star Member
Feb 17, 2013
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
24-06-2017
Just to add that as a PR you would always be entitled to enter the country whether you had met the residency obligation or not so no chance that you would be turned away at the border. If you arrive having not met the residency obligation say 3 years or more after your soft landing then you could be reported at the border leading to your PR status being revoked subject to appeal, but still be allowed in whilst appeal in process.

Basically the longer you stay away since your soft landing the more time you need to stay put in Canada to accumulate 2 years out of 5. After initial 5 years you need to show 2 years in the 5 years preceding each new entry.
Thank you