+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident obligation question (I need your advice please! :) )

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
I`m planning to leave Canada and travel overseas but it will take me more than 6 months to be away from Canada. I am aware that I have to stay in Canada for 2 out of 5 years and i`m really planning to do it. The thing is, I might be away more than 6 months and planning to go back in 2018. Will that affect my residency? my residency expires in 2020 and i`ve lived here since 2015. Some people told me that I should only be away from Canada for a maximum of 6 months and I have to go back to Canada. Is that true?

Your answers are appreciated.

Thank you

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
pussmercs said:
I`m planning to leave Canada and travel overseas but it will take me more than 6 months to be away from Canada. I am aware that I have to stay in Canada for 2 out of 5 years and i`m really planning to do it. The thing is, I might be away more than 6 months and planning to go back in 2018. Will that affect my residency? my residency expires in 2020 and i`ve lived here since 2015. Some people told me that I should only be away from Canada for a maximum of 6 months and I have to go back to Canada. Is that true?

Your answers are appreciated.

Thank you
There is no six months limit on PRs for purposes of complying with the PR Residency Obligation.

I am guessing that the admonitions to limit absences to six months, or less, derive from residency requirements for other government benefits . . . typically, for many government benefit purposes, an absence for six months or more can lead to the presumption that an individual is no longer a resident.

But for purposes of immigration status, for PR status in particular, the residency obligation is to be present in Canada for two years within the first five, and after that to always have been in Canada for at least two years within the preceding five years.

PR status does not expire. It appears your PR card expires in 2020. The date your PR card expires is largely irrelevant. The date that is important is the date you landed. You would be in breach of the PR RO if you are outside Canada a total of 1095 days (three years) after the day you landed and before the fifth year anniversary of that date. Once you reach the fifth year anniversary of the day you landed, compliance with the PR RO is always calculated backwards, from the date of the calculation to five years previous (to be in compliance, you must be present 730+ during that five year time period).

Note, however, that minimal compliance with the PR RO can lead to problems. 730 days in five years is the minimum, the bare minimum. PRs are expected to actually settle and live in Canada permanently . . . and the 2/5 rule is there to give PRs some flexibility in accomplishing fully relocating to and settling in Canada.

Kkd

Star Member
Dec 12, 2011
Better enquire about your health card. There seems to be ia provision to the affect that your OHIP card will be invalid if you absent yourself for more than 150 days at a stretch.

In such cases you have to apply again for the card after spending 90 Days following your reentry.

Pl verify the details and act accordingly.

hsghai

Sep 2, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have entered canada in July 2011 with family. stayed there for 430 days. then i move back to my native country due to critical illness of my mother in oct 2012. i couldn't meet residency obligation of 730 days out of 5 years. Now i entered canada in apr 2016 again with my family. i want to renew my PR cards which are going expire in oct, 2016. can anyone advice me what should i do to justify my absence from canada for 300 days. how do they consider our case for calculating residency requirements.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
hsghai said:
Hi everyone,

I have entered canada in July 2011 with family. stayed there for 430 days. then i move back to my native country due to critical illness of my mother in oct 2012. i couldn't meet residency obligation of 730 days out of 5 years. Now i entered canada in apr 2016 again with my family. i want to renew my PR cards which are going expire in oct, 2016. can anyone advice me what should i do to justify my absence from canada for 300 days. how do they consider our case for calculating residency requirements.
Since you are already back in Canada, it is strongly recommended you stay in Canada and do not try to renew you card until you meet the 730+ day in last 5 years requirement. After you meet the requirement, you can apply to renew your card.

prash_1985

Jun 19, 2016
Hello! Everyone,

Is the six month rule mentioned anywhere ? Or can we call the immigration office and findout about the same ?

Thanks,
Prashanth

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
prash_1985 said:
Hello! Everyone,

Is the six month rule mentioned anywhere ? Or can we call the immigration office and findout about the same ?

Thanks,
Prashanth
There is no 6 months rule for PR RO.